CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:25 PM   #1
Vanessa Richardson

Profile:
Garage Gym - finally!

Hey everyone,

Just posting a couple of pics of my set up at home. Outdoor pull up and ring bars are in progress too, and saving for a C2 and a GHD. Bumper plates arrive this week I think!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	47875095-7fd63aebcf7a3a28a43a3f6619c75060.4b1c9106-scaled.jpg
Views:	963
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	5513  Click image for larger version

Name:	47875237-c1260e0edd6f85c0f799697f40d285b9.4b1c90f3-scaled.jpg
Views:	849
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	5514  
Old 12-07-2009, 02:45 AM   #2
Brian Russell

Profile:
Re: Garage Gym - finally!

Very nice! What kind of floor covering do you have?
Old 12-07-2009, 04:59 AM   #3
Vanessa Richardson

Profile:

Hi Brian, its 15mm rubber tiles 1m x 1m.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:03 AM   #4
Brian Cook

Profile:

Good job Vanessa, that's a lot more finished than my first garage gym. Looks like a great place to train in. How high is the ceiling?
Old 12-09-2009, 01:15 AM   #5
Vanessa Richardson

Profile:

Its only 8ft. Pretty happy with it so far, still dream of opening my own proper box sometime once I am affiliated though!
Old 12-09-2009, 08:29 PM   #6
Jae Chung

Profile:

Beautiful garage gym. I'm jealous!
Old 12-10-2009, 07:52 AM   #7
Trac Nguyen

Profile:

Love the flooring.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:58 AM   #8
Miguel De La Fuente

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: Garage Gym - finally!

HI Vannessa,

I am working on opening my own gym at my Garage too, and one day a big BOX. I know I have asked some od the same questions to several people, and a lot of them have even called persoanlly, which is awesome, that's why I like CF.

But what can you tell me about your experience, from before, during, and where you at now? How fast did you get accepted as an affiliate?

I have gotten an insurance quote, I have quotes for several lists of equipment, I have applied for affiliate about 4 days ago, my Logo is done, I actually motified a logo I already had with a Boot Camp I have been runing for over 3 years, I am still gonna run Boot camps but I am concentrating more on CF.

Equipment, what did you start with? How many clients at a time, per class? Where are you at now, growth wise? And how fast did you get there? How many classes are you doing a day? And what kind of Profits are you bringing in, Monthly? When you started and now?

Thank you in advance for help and congrats on your affiliate.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:57 AM   #9
Vanessa Richardson

Profile:

Hi Miguel, thanks for all the questions. I've been doing PT for about 8 years but have done CF since about July.I hadn't been working much since I had my baby but decided to go back part time. I'm not affiliated yet- I've just arranged insurance and have 4 clients with another 2 probably starting next week. Only 2 of my current 4 are paying. I plan to apply for affiliation in the new year if I can get a few more clients on board. It is a big financial investment after spending so much on equipment already!

Will give a quick run down of what I am doing and update in a few months with further info.

4 Clients come Monday, Tuesday, Thursday over 2 weeks for intro course. They will then be offered a group class on all weekdays. We do 5:30pm at the moment. I will probably run 2 classes per day on weekdays once I get a few more and limit 4 people per class. My aim is to get 10 regular, paying clients then look at moving.

Equipment:

2 Bars
power rack
kettlebells (4 - 28kg)
Med balls
skipping ropes
dumbells (2 sets adjustable)
1 Bench
Parrallettes
1 set bumpers
1 set normal plates (to be sold and replace with bumpers!)
1 set plyo boxes
2 sets rings

I have pull up bars coming in the new year, have decided to try mount some on the walls inside as it is significantly cheaper and plan to move to a big box anyway. Will be putting a higher wall mounted bar outside for rings.
Will get another set of bumpers and 2 more bars soon also. 2 x GHD and rower in the new year all things going well.

Will be making use of my good location and climate and do some outdoor/beach sessions and we have a mountain here that is a good 2 hour walk for average people so should be a good one to do for time and test everyone.

Need ideas for beach sessions actually if anyone has any!
Old 12-13-2009, 01:47 PM   #10
Miguel De La Fuente

Profile:

Hi Vanessa,

Looks like you're doing pretty well. I have been running a boot camp for over 3 years. I started off slow too, and then built up. it is hard for my area to get people to exercise, I believe we are on the top 5 in the nation for overweight and obesity. But I am doing well. Now I am transitionaning to CF and since i am the only one in all of this region (South East Texas) to be offering it and people get intimidated by it, so looks Like i have to start from scratch.

However, I do have a lot of my clients that are liking it, and have said they will stick with me on the transition.

I have about 15, and some others I have found on the forum or that I meet and they are interested and I have given them some free classes.

Now ideas for for the beach, I have done for the last 3 years, a beach challenge once a year. I have the beach about 1 and half hour away from me. my website is down so I could tell you to check out my videos and pics but they are not available anymore.

But what I have was: I have tires, 18 wheelers, and big tractor tires, lots of sand bags, some 3 foot logs that are about 33 lbs each, 5 gallon water cans, some military euqipment i kept from the military, such as back packs, i have 2 50 goot ropes, and a lot fo tother stuff I have acquired or found on the way.

What I have done is built like obsstacle courses, I get there the day before, and all night till about 4 am or so, me and one or two of my friends, set up obstacles, just what ever it is. Such as the y have to carry a water can from one sand dune to the other, or I give them a poncho they have to carry on their military backpack, and they have to make a litter carry, like a bed sort of.

I make two teams, no matter how many people show up. Usually get about 20 to 27 or so. The first I do is give them all a Physical fitness test, that I used in the military as well. it is 2 minute push ups, 2 minute sit ups, and 2 mile run. At the end of the two miles, thats where they start their race back to the start line. This is what I did this year. it was awesome, they had fun.

I think just been creative, jsut find anything you can use and do obstacles and stuff. Now with CF i am already thinking of doing some kind of challenge at the beach with some of the otehr affiliates that are abotu to 5 hours away, I have talked to them and I am gonna go meet them this week.

Sorry for the long message, if you need any help on ideas feel free to PM me here, or message, or email me at ranger_boot_camp@hotmail.com

Hope this helps and thank you for your information.