CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 11-27-2009, 11:23 AM   #11
Nick Martinez

Profile:
Re: Extremely high ALT enzymes in blood, Liver or muscle damage?

Thanks for the post Frank.

I actually have been doing WODs--I took a week off after I did Angie
and have done 6 WODs since - including Cindy which I scored 11 rounds (matching a personal best for me from earlier in the year -it was my cardio that slowed me down more than the pullups). I feel 100% except for smaller lats and lower pull up and dip numbers. But I will take your advice into consideration. I have been thinking about taking a month off to do Yoga in order to get my flexibility up to par.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:24 AM   #12
Steven Low

Profile:

Yes, you destroyed muscle fibers. I don't know the extent of the damage and probably no one else knows. But at least you didn't damage your muscles to release enough myoglobin to shut down your kidneys.

Since muscles have tens of thousands of muscle fibers you obviously didn't destroy all of them, but probably did a number on at least significant portion if you can see significant muscle loss.

You will basically have to start from scratch. Like Frank said, HEAL UP FIRST BY RESTING AND DOING ACTIVE RECOVERY. Start working out maybe like 4-5 weeks AFTER.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:32 AM   #13
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Martinez View Post
Thanks for the post Frank.

I actually have been doing WODs--I took a week off after I did Angie
and have done 6 WODs since - including Cindy which I scored 11 rounds (matching a personal best for me from earlier in the year -it was my cardio that slowed me down more than the pullups). I feel 100% except for smaller lats and lower pull up and dip numbers. But I will take your advice into consideration. I have been thinking about taking a month off to do Yoga in order to get my flexibility up to par.
But remember as your do wods, your releasing broken muscle fibres into the blood stream, and the kidneys do not remove particles...their job is to remove molecules... so you could screw up your kidneys too. Plus, your directly impacting your blood work, so who is to know, how much damage you really did, and whether or not your body is improving and repairing itself.

So stop... this isnt a machismo thing to work injuries of this calibre.
4-5 weeks maybe more depending on your blood work
Old 11-27-2009, 04:12 PM   #14
Nick Martinez

Profile:

Thanks Frank. It is upsetting to know that i may have been doing more damage by working out since.

I'll be stopping Crossfit for a month and doing Yoga - I hope I can work out my flexibility issues and perfect my squat.