CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:27 AM   #1
Vanessa Richardson

Profile:
Garage gym affiliate - programming 5 on 2 off..

Are there any articles anyone can direct me to that discuss how to best program a 5 day on, 2 off cycle rather than 3 on 1 off?

I'm looking at setting up a garage affiliate immediately, and due to my hubby and my own competition schedule, it will be rare that I can offer weekend classes which is where the tricky part is.

Anyone doing it and any feedback?

Or, perhaps a 2 on, 1 off, 2 on, 2 off? My fear is losing intensity with the 5 on 2 off because by day 4 it's going to be asking a lot of my people!

I am assuming the HQ WOD's wouldn't work for this and I'd be better off planning from scratch?

At this stage I will start a 4 week on ramp type program to intro everyone and go 3 x per week with that, then they can graduate to the group class and also continue some 1 on 1 if they want.

Was looking at taking on around 10 clients initially and if it looks like outgrowing my garage will move into a box.

Cheers and thanks in advance!

Last edited by Vanessa Richardson : 11-25-2009 at 02:28 AM. Reason: title change
Old 11-25-2009, 04:27 AM   #2
Paul Szoldra

Profile:
Re: Garage gym affiliate - programming 5 on 2 off..

Vanessa,

I have found this article in CFJ very useful: http://journal.crossfit.com/2003/02/...-for-cross.tpl (WFS).

This is Coach Glassman's template for programming, and shows you how the program can be designed for 3:1 and 5:2 styles.

Take care.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:30 AM   #3
Steve Loeding

Profile:

I used to do 5 on 2 off - by days 4 and 5 I was pretty tired. I think there are several options...

2 on , 1 off, 2 on - weekends off - still 4 days to hit it hard, with a rest day in between.

Your other choice is to run the 5 days on, but letting your clients decide what kind of schedule they want - maybe some just want MWF, others MTThF, others all 5 days. That could be a headache for scheduling, unless you know before which days people will be showing up.

It can be done - just have to be flexible.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:06 PM   #4
Jason M Struck

Profile:

we use the above template, and then cycle like this

1 2 3 2 1

and leave it to fate when our clients come in.

since almost all are 3 days a week with space, they get a good mix
Old 11-25-2009, 01:39 PM   #5
Matt Charney

Profile:

As a garage affiliate with a day job I have put most of my clients on strict schedules. MWF or TTHSat. I have found 3 days a week programming is really good for the beginners. With the right loads they progress well. Would they reach elite fitness faster with 5 days a week, probably? These clients aren't looking for elite fitness. They want to be healthier than they were when they walked in my door. They are all faster, leaner, stronger & much healthy after very short periods of time.

Different story for different goals. Athletes with specific needs ie, strength speed, endurance we program differently.

We use a lot of the .com WODs but do not follow it to the letter. We also borrow from the rest of the community from time to time.

Good luck in growing your garage gym
Old 11-25-2009, 02:30 PM   #6
Vanessa Richardson

Profile:

Thanks so much for those responses, the more I think about it, a 2 on, 1 off, 2 on, 2 off or MWF might work. Perhaps given that all my clients will be very much beginners, perhaps I should start out on the MWF and as they are able to do more intense sessions push them up into the 4 sessions a week.

Will post some pics soon as I go about setting it all up!

Does anyone here use the On ramp program at the moment? Had a bit of a read through last night, looks excellent, might modify that and do a 4 week intro course...
Old 11-26-2009, 10:13 AM   #7
Tobias W. Neal

Profile:

Hey Vanessa,

We have been doing 5 on, 2 off for about 2 years. We also use Saturday as a lifting skill day.

Much of programming this correctly is on the coach. Most of my new folks for the first two weeks come about 3 days a week on average and within a month are all 5 day athletes. Your programming has to focus on sort of an active rest within the week so we work hard but I program WODs that allow for work and get them moving but may not destroy them.

In turn all of them have shown remarkable gains both in strength and metcon times. They have adapted to some of CrossFit's currrent programming so for some that have been with me for over 2 years I have had to change the stimulus and use other methods to elicit a response.

We use a version of the ramp up but find that as it is currently written; it isn't feasible under the time line they provide so we tweaked it a bit. Still an awesome resource though!

Good luck and have fun, there road is long and there is so much to learn!!!

T
www.crossfitaspire.com
"Old School Training for Modern Day Warriors"
Old 11-27-2009, 10:57 AM   #8
Mark Griffith

Profile:

We aren't very old, but started in the garage too. We have almost all clients on a two day (all they can make) or three day a week membership. We recommend a day of rest in between workouts. Perhaps some can now handle more, but we have not offered unlimited memberships yet. We are open 6 days a week in the morning, but only three at night. Looking to grow more to extend into the other days.
We took OnRamp and made it 6 sessions. Usually done in 2 or 3 sessions per week.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:05 PM   #9
Vanessa Richardson

Profile:

Thanks again guys. Have spent an hour reading over the on ramp. Going to need to modify it, I think a 2 week intro program might work, hoping to get time to nut out a timetable this week so I can get a batch or two of newbies through before christmas. Now onto the matter of getting my affiliation and insurance sorted.. more paperwork! :-)
Old 11-28-2009, 09:05 PM   #10
Vanessa Richardson

Profile:

PS is anyone prepared to share their 2 week version of on ramp? Just interested to see how much you squeeze into each session!