CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:18 PM   #1
Fran Mason

Profile:
ClubReady versus MindBody

Hello! Long time no post. My husband and I are opening a box in our neighborhood of Seattle pretty soon. I know a lot of CrossFit gyms use MindBody, including the one where I'm employed, CrossFit Seattle.

When I was exploring merchant service accounts, someone mentioned ClubReady, saying they will work with any merchant service I choose, and match payments to clients. I'm told that MindBody only has this capability if you use THEIR merchant-service offering, which is expensive.

Any experience with ClubReady? What do you think of it - is it easy to use, does well what it's supposed to do? Do you feel you're saving money on merchant services with it?

Am I right in thinking MindBody only works with their own merchant-service offering?

Thank you!
Old 10-22-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
Kim Layton

Profile:
Re: ClubReady versus MindBody

Try the trials and see what you like and don't forget to look at zenplanner.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:51 PM   #3
Cody Limbaugh

Profile:

Not to diss your advice Kim but trying all three out for a test run would be REALLY time consuming. It felt like it took me for ever to get MBO up and running.

I can only speak from my experience with MBO but you might look into the aspect of customer service in addition to price. All I can say is MBO has excellent customer service, intuitive people (they have a department that specializes in helping CrossFit Affiliates) and the software has been seamless. I can't emagine growing any bigger without it! I was even able to get in on a low start-up cost special for CrossFit even though I won't be officially affiliated until November. It has WAY more than paid for itself.

We're practically neighbors (I'm down in Portland)- congrats on the new box! Best of luck!
Cody Limbaugh- CrossFit eXcellence, Lake Oswego OR http://crossfitexcellence.com (w/f safe) 'Excellence is not perfectionism-nobody is perfect,but every one of us can strive to live a life of excellence.'-Mike Woods
Old 10-22-2009, 05:35 PM   #4
Mike Choate

Profile:

i have been using zenplanner for some time now and i am having nothing but trouble getting the online calender to work right so I am looking at swtching to MBO.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:23 PM   #5
Kris Murphy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Mason View Post
Hello! Long time no post. My husband and I are opening a box in our neighborhood of Seattle pretty soon. I know a lot of CrossFit gyms use MindBody, including the one where I'm employed, CrossFit Seattle.

When I was exploring merchant service accounts, someone mentioned ClubReady, saying they will work with any merchant service I choose, and match payments to clients. I'm told that MindBody only has this capability if you use THEIR merchant-service offering, which is expensive.

Any experience with ClubReady? What do you think of it - is it easy to use, does well what it's supposed to do? Do you feel you're saving money on merchant services with it?

Am I right in thinking MindBody only works with their own merchant-service offering?

Thank you!
We switched to MBO a few months ago, and at that time yes, you had to use their merchant processing (I imagine that's still the case). But...in doing so we are saving at least 50% in cc fees over our previous US Bank merchant services.

Let me give you an example. Last month, $3225 in cc transactions we paid $80 in merchant fees through MBO. That's under 2.5%. My fees with US Bank would've been twice that much or more plus we had to pay fees for the online access and several other stupid things.

Have you found a merchant service that's cheaper than 2.5%?
Old 10-23-2009, 09:45 AM   #6
Fran Mason

Profile:

Hi Kris! Thanks for the info. I'm considering a merchant-services vendor (trueinterchange.com if you're interested; safe link) who charges differently: they pass through the fee that visa or mastercard charges, and they add a small flat fee per month to make their money. Other merchant-service vendors charge a percentage such as 2.5% plus some cents per transaction. I thought MindBody's vendor also added 10 cents or 29 cents per transaction - was I mistaken? Anyway, it seems possible to pay less in credit card fees by researching providers.

This provider I'm looking at thinks he can link to MindBody. He's been helpful in looking into that. He will explore ZenPlanner if I choose that one. I do like the looks of it. Will demo MindBody on Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Murphy View Post
We switched to MBO a few months ago, and at that time yes, you had to use their merchant processing (I imagine that's still the case). But...in doing so we are saving at least 50% in cc fees over our previous US Bank merchant services.

Let me give you an example. Last month, $3225 in cc transactions we paid $80 in merchant fees through MBO. That's under 2.5%. My fees with US Bank would've been twice that much or more plus we had to pay fees for the online access and several other stupid things.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:57 AM   #7
Chris Wyant

Profile:

I actually found a software called Twin Oaks - they are based in CT and in working with the trial - I have to say it is awesome! They are also the only company that I am aware of so far that is preparing for the FTC change that will affect credit card swipes coming next November (gist: you have to get a swipe every time you run a card). Really nice guys too.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:09 PM   #8
Jeremy R Johnson

Profile:

Do you have more info about Twin Oaks?

I just requested a demo, and like the appearance from their website. I would like to have this in place when I open.

What do you like about it?

What are the costs?
Old 11-05-2009, 06:47 AM   #9
Chris Wyant

Profile:

I actually am not going with Twin Oaks anymore. They require that you use a desktop PC based on stability issues. I was shocked when they said "we will not install our programming on laptops." What I liked was that there was no monthly fee, the fees all came from running EFT, so hypothetically, if you only had 1 member, you were not paying 55-125 a month for that one member.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:23 PM   #10
Terry Dickman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Murphy View Post

Hey Kris,
I am assuming the $80 does not include your monthly fee, just the interest in and transaction charges together I am assuming?

We are looking at going to "auto pay only" in Jan. I got a quote from UMS (United Merchant Services) They charge $20 a month for their Internet Gateway program, 2.43% and 40 cents per transaction. They also have a one time $99 set up fee.

If thats correct with 30 members @ $100 per month fees
UMS total monthly cost =105
MBO = 140

This doesn't include the start up fee. Not sure if the extra savings is worth it since their are other features on MBO.

I used UMS before in a business I owned, their service was great but we used a credit card machine.