CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-24-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
Anthony Rubino

Profile:
Angry L4-5 Herniation

On June 8th I injured my back doing DL's (bad form on last rep). The MRI has confirmed a herniation of L4-5 and bulge of L5-S1.

Sports Med doc says 6 weeks to 6 months, hard to tell. I am going to PT 3 times a week, but I need to CF. The doc said no to the following:

Squats, Bench (no loss), Oly lifts, Shoulder press, Push press, Push jerk (anything overhead), Deadlifts, situps.

Doc said yes to:

Rock climbing, Pullups, Dips, Pushups, Biking

I'm devastated! Not sure what to do. I was scheduled for my Level 1 in July, but I'm not sure I can make it. I also do not want to stop CF, I need to find a way to CF myself back to health. Any ideas?

On a side not, when I told a person who has done CF about the injury, he made the comment that it's just another reason why I should not do CF. I responded by telling him, that because of CF, my body is prepared for this injury and I will heal. I'm so aggravated!

Thanks
Old 06-24-2009, 04:04 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: L4-5 Herniation

Bodyweight work is your best bet (hence the docs recommendations). Check out the bodyweight workout thread in the WOD forums. You can just pretend you're on a "vacation" and don't have the equipment to do anything but bodyweight workouts.

yOu don't want to load your spine right now, and risk reinjuring it worse than it is. Although it can probably done safely if you drop weight so much and focus on forum, I personally don't think it's worth it.

Also, you should approach your L1 as a learning experience. You shouldn't be going there to workout.... if I were you I'd sandbag all the workouts or just not participate. Bring your pen, paper and thinking cap.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:26 PM   #3
Mike Mallory

Profile:

I'd count on a year to fully heal

it';s fairly simple really, just get your lumbar curve back, and don't do anything that has any flexion
Old 06-24-2009, 04:33 PM   #4
Phill Tsui

Profile:

I'm there with you, I herniated L5-S1 on the the 15th this month.

My doc and PT said the same thing as yours.

I'm mostly frustrated with the fact that these injuries have no determinable recovery time frame (weeks to months).
Old 06-24-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
Brad Davis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
...yOu don't want to load your spine right now, and risk reinjuring it worse than it is. Although it can probably done safely if you drop weight so much and focus on forum, I personally don't think it's worth it. ...
Absolutely. I know people who are permanently disabled from lumbar injuries--can't sit or lay in any position so can't sleep, can't ride in a car more than a few minutes, etc. etc. Whether you can do some particular exercises for 6 months is small potatoes. Let's get some perspective here. (EDIT: Upon reading that, it sounded a little gruff--sorry, didn't mean for it to be that way. I think it's a good point, though.)

It took me a while to realize it, but the patience to WAIT, even if it's months for something to heal, IS part of training. Just not a very fun part, LOL.

To add some more perspective, I've had a shoulder injury that was about as restrictive as you describe that took out 6 months. If you look around the board, you'll see countless other injuries that take out chunks of that size.

Chill out and you'll be back doing what you want to do soon enough!

Last edited by Brad Davis : 06-24-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:54 PM   #6
Anthony Rubino

Profile:

Thanks for the great advice, support, and reality checks! It's what I needed.

One additional question on this topic. The Doc said no squats, but the PT said air squats where OK. What do you think?

Anthony
Old 06-24-2009, 07:36 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Rubino View Post
Thanks for the great advice, support, and reality checks! It's what I needed.

One additional question on this topic. The Doc said no squats, but the PT said air squats where OK. What do you think?

Anthony
Generally, docs covering his butt.

It's the PT's job to get you back to full health. Go with what your PT says especially since you're going to PT sessions, correct?

As always, if anything hurts... stop.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:56 PM   #8
Dale Kimberlin

Profile:

[quote=Anthony Rubino;613537]On June 8th I injured my back doing DL's (bad form on last rep). The MRI has confirmed a herniation of L4-5 and bulge of L5-S1.

It's possible You could have been asymptomatic and had the herniation and buldge prior to June 8th. (not sure I did not see the MRI). Nobody knows how long it will take so don't let the timeline defeat you. Take one day at a time and do the things that build health and recover the body (nutrition/hydration, affirmation, Prayer, movement within reason, REST and the ever important chiropractic adjustments).

Stay positive and expect the best outcome.

Here is the disclaimer. My comments are for information and perspective only . This is not intended to offer diagnoses or treatment etc...That is between you and your health care team.

Also the Erchonia Cold Laser is a secret weapon. Worked for Lance Armstrong and his chiropractor Jeff Spencer.

Best of luck!!!
Old 06-25-2009, 10:43 AM   #9
Stu Christensen

Profile:

As a side note, have you tried inversion? I know its worked wonders for two people I know that have herniated and compressed discs. Try it.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:01 PM   #10
Rob Young

Profile:

Hey Anthony...

About 4 weeks ago, while crushing "Diane", I herniated L4/L5 so bad that I was in the hosp for 3 days...I too started to let the form slip...happened during my last 9. I felt it coming but stupidly pushed through it...you know that holy Form vs Intensity thing....and lets just say that from now on Form wins!!!

In any case, my recommendation to you is get yourself to a CHEK Practitioner ASAP. They are not very common so check out the CHEK Institute site for one near you. Also get a book on McKenzie back exercises (Robin KcKenzie) and start doing them as soon as your are no longer in an acute condition.

I returned to CF this week, but I still will not put my body under load. There are endless WODS you can do and not ever hit a loaded lift (PS stay away from KB swings for now).

Take this time to work on your goats and as KStar puts it..."Fix your Junk"

Hope this helps!!!

Rob