CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 03-17-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
Jesse Kodadek

Profile:
Shoulder Press, Push Press, Push Jerk WOD but with reversed rep scheme

So at our affiliate today we did this WOD but instead of

SP 5x1
PP 5x3
PJ 5x5

We did with reversed rep scheme, so

SP 5x5
PP 5x3
PJ 5x1

I didn't even notice it was different while warming up but our trainer pointed out that it was the opposite and that he thought it made more sense, or at least would be a worthwhile experiment. After doing it, I have to agree.

It seems a lot more logical this way. I can't seem to find in my journal where we did it the first way, but I know I got way more weight on my PJs in this scenario. Overall, I guess I moved less weight but it's nice to be able to go as heavy as possible on the jerks and drop the bar after each rep.

After my last jerk I also clean and jerked it again, finally hitting the elusive BW C&J that I hit once two months ago but has deserted me ever since.

So what do you think?
Old 03-17-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
Jacob Cloud

Profile:
Re: Shoulder Press, Push Press, Push Jerk WOD but with reversed rep scheme

I really like the "original" WOD. Haven't tried it your way, but don't really see a reason too, since in my case, I can't drop a PJ anyway, and therefore don't go to 1RM territory.

"Shoulder Hell," as I call it, is one of the most effective CF WODs I've used for improving press strength. Your method seems like it would burn out the press muscles quite a bit before attempting a heavy PJ, and could almost be dangerous. I'd probably rather see PJ, then PP, the OHP if you're going to use those rep ranges, since PJ requires the most skill...
Old 03-17-2009, 11:22 AM   #3
Stefan Still

Profile:

My lack of PJ experience prompts me to concur with the modified WOD. I would rather throw more weight overhead for 1 rep max's instead of shooting for 5x5 with that particular movement. Just a personal preference.

I did the the original WOD on Monday 3/9 and it convinced me that it's time to get this shoulder taken care of.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
Jesse Kodadek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Cloud View Post
Your method seems like it would burn out the press muscles quite a bit before attempting a heavy PJ, and could almost be dangerous.
Well, I can push jerk about 60% more than I can shoulder press, so it sure doesn't seem dangerous to me. However, I do find that 5 rep push jerks are troublesome because I can put it over head much easier than lowering it down for another rep.

I do need to work on my press, though. I think it's proportionally weaker than my squat and DL and is probably holding back my oly lift numbers.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:37 PM   #5
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

If your shoulders are bothering you in over head work, it could be becuase you aren't lifting your shoulders with your traps. At the top of the shoulder press, push press and jerk (especially the jerk), your shoulders should be lifted by your traps like in a shrug. I know this causes my shoulders to act up and I have otherwise healthy shoulders.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:05 PM   #6
Stefan Still

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
At the top of the shoulder press, push press and jerk (especially the jerk), your shoulders should be lifted by your traps like in a shrug. I know this causes my shoulders to act up and I have otherwise healthy shoulders.
Would that be the definition of "active" shoulders?

I really wish that was my only problem. In hindsight, riding motorcycles was a poor decision.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:06 PM   #7
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Yeah, pretty much. Riding motorcyles isn't a bad idea, it's falling off of them especially when going really fast, that tends to cause problems.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
Stefan Still

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Yeah, pretty much. Riding motorcyles isn't a bad idea, it's falling off of them especially when going really fast, that tends to cause problems.
Excellent. I've only seen it demonstrated and of course been critqued on my own form. Never gotten the reasoning behind it.

No "really" to it but it was kinda quick. Does give my left side some interesting character though.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:33 PM   #9
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

In my opinion, it's more important and at the same time harder to do on the jerk because the wieght is heavier and it can crash into you if the timing isn't right and it's much faster.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:20 AM   #10
Nick Lavato

Profile:

I may have to try the reversed scheme. I agree with Jesse that lowering the push jerks is by far the hardest part once your shoulders are gassed.