CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 03-02-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
James Reagan

Profile:
The Training Log of James Reagan on Starr 5x5

PURPOSE
(1) To get strong for all the various demands required by a career in law enforcement and become harder to kill and more useful
(2) To develop explosive power primarily via the Olympic lifts for those same reasons
(3) To maintain excellent conditioning in order to score well on annual physical fitness tests
(4) To gain useful bodyweight and maintain approximately 185-195 lbs at my height of 5í11Ē
(5) To adhere to a healthy diet for better performance, recovery, and sense of well-being

TRAINING SCHEDULE
Monday
(Light) Front Squat 5-5-5-5-5
(Medium) Push Press 5-5-5-5-5
(Heavy) Deadlift 5-5-5-5-5

Tuesday
Metcon(?)

Wednesday
(Medium) Squat (90%) 5-5-5-5-5
(Heavy) Bench Press 5-5-5-5-5
(Light) Power Clean 5-5-5-5-5

Friday
(Heavy) Squat 5-5-5-5-5
(Light) Overhead Press 5-5-5-5-5
(Medium) Power Shrug 5-5-5-5-5

Saturday
Metcon!

Notes: All lifts ramped up to the top set in approximately 10-15% increments. My starting numbers are currently between ďintermediateĒ and ďadvancedĒ for the 165 lbs weight class in the squat and deadlift according to Ripís chart, however, Iím more accurately defined as just a guy at the end of his novice progression. Weights moved on the upper body movements are thoroughly unimpressive at the moment, which is definitely something I hope will improve with hard work on those lifts possibly made easier by a bigger squat. Like everyone else I would like to be able to overhead press my bodyweight for reps, which is still well down the road at the moment. Itís all talk until it gets done. Also, right now my power clean is in rehab having developed the bad, bad habit of bending the elbows too early, etc. Iím receiving instruction from my local CrossFit affiliate, and after only the first session form has improved greatly. Iíll continue to hammer away at it until the form is rock solid and the numbers will hopefully shoot up. Power shrugs are used instead of high pulls for the time being because the last thing I need right now is more opportunity for elbows to bend early! I also plan on learning the snatch progression at my local CrossFit affiliate very soon. Not sure how Iíll work the latter into the programming yet.

METABOLIC CONDITIONING
I havenít done terribly much metcon since October. Nor terribly well. That needs to change. I would like to incorporate a single metcon per week to begin with, and then possibly two as recovery allows. I need to learn skills such as handstand pushups, kipping pullups, and get on them rings. The metcons will likely be short and heavy. As I said weíll see depending on recovery: my main concern right now is a big squat, scary deadlift, and learning good form with the O-lifts. I got my work cut out for me!

DIET
Mostly paleo food choices with the notable exception of quite a lot of dairy products. My typical daily menu consists of 1-2 lbs of red meat, pork, and/or chicken, 4 cups of whole milk yogurt, 1 quart of whole milk, about half a dozen pieces of fruit, a few handfuls of sunflower seeds, plenty of green vegetables such as spinach or broccoli, and lots of olive oil. Iíve been on this diet in the past and felt very good although it was impossible for me to gain weight on it. This time around Iím getting a minimum of 200g of protein from animal sources and probably around 3500 calories daily. Iíll start ramping the milk intake up again if it becomes apparent that I need the calories. Iím alright with slower bodyweight gains than Iíve been experiencing on Ripís program or super squats with GOMAD and big macs so long as Iím putting weight on the bar and feeling good. I take a daily multivitamin, and also get about 6g of combined EPA/DHA from fish oil. No other supplements.

That is about it for now. The above may have been a peculiarly long first post, but I just wanted to organize my thoughts and plan for the next while. The only wrench that may be thrown in the works is my habit of constant relocation, and therefore uncertain access to the tools I need to get the job done. We all have to train around the various circumstances of our lives, and so I am no special kid in that respect. Iíll just have to jump off that bridge when I get to it, and make sure I can get steady access to a barbell, power rack, bumper plates, and a place to throw heavy things.

I look forward to hearing from friends, family, training partners, and those of you Iíve yet to meet among our wonderful CrossFit community. Iím open to any advice and criticism you may have, and Iím always ready to learn something new. If youíre still with me thanks for taking the time to read this post!
Old 03-02-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
James Reagan

Profile:
Re: The Training Log of James Reagan on Starr 5x5

Monday
03/02/2009
Front Squat 5-5-5-5-5 = 95-115-135-155
Push Press 5-5-5-5-5 = 65-85-95-105-115
Deadlift 5-5-5-5-5-(13) = 135-185-225-245-285-(225)

Notes: I woke up this morning and was suprised to see I weighed 163 lbs! I lost about 4 lbs over the weekend due to the new mostly paleo diet. Well, a few remarks on that: (1) it must have not been very useful weight because 285 for a set of 5 felt much more solid today than did 275 for a set of 5 last week, and (2) I feel much better! I've felt alert, energetic, and been in a great mood all day. I came out of the gym elated, and with a ravenous hunger. I drank nearly half a gallon of milk with two scoops of whey out of the jug nearly without putting it down. Damn! So much for the "mostly" paleo part of the equation. But milk is good for growing mammals anyway. 285 came up solid as I said, but I had to take a couple of breaths and grip reset for the final rep. I'll be ready for 295 next week. I then did a backoff set with two plates without a belt and got 13 reps before my back starting to bend. I started to scream about rep 11. I had a lot more in me but decided to stop. The push press was my first time doing this exersize having never regularly trained it. It felt light I guess. The front squats same story. We'll get these two moving now that we've got a baseline.

I may work on my Wednesday's power cleans tomorrow at Crossfit Asheville. I feel like I want to do them right now, but I'd better keep eating instead. I've easily got 200g of protein today so now I'm just eating for calories. I hope I don't have to start drinking olive oil again...
Old 03-04-2009, 05:23 AM   #3
Michael Francis Reagan

Profile:
Smile Re: The Training Log of James Reagan on Starr 5x5

Sounds like a great plan! I'm proud of you.

Papawolf.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:07 AM   #4
Michael Francis Reagan

Profile:
Wink Re: The Training Log of James Reagan on Starr 5x5

Except for the drinking olive oil part!!!

Papawolf
Old 03-04-2009, 07:16 PM   #5
James Reagan

Profile:

Wednesday
03/04/2009
Squat 5-5-5-5-5-(8) = 135-165-195-230-225
Bench Press 5-5-5-4-5-(8) = 95-115-135-150-145-135
Clean 5-3-3-3-3-2-(4) = 88-98-108-115-115-125-110

Notes: Holy paleo! My weight keeps dropping, and its purty scary. I weighed 161 this morning despite the fact that I got 4000+ calories yesterday. I better ramp it up to 5000 or 6000 if that is what it takes to gain weight. I don't care if I get fat as long as I'm strong. And 230 felt almost too heavy today and its supposed to be a medium (90%) weight. The bench press is a ongoing disappointment needless to say having been the only core lift that hasn't progressed much at all since I started barbell training. I know what to do: drink milk and quit being a you-know-what. The cleans were done at Stay Active Crossfit and form was highly variable with lots of bending elbows, early jumps, not opening hips enough, however, with enough gems in there to show a glimmer of hope. I think doubles and triples are a good range for me until my form gets a little more solid. I feel like right now coming out of the gym as if I got jumped behind the bar, slapped, kicked, and thrown in a dumpster. Yep, one of those...
Old 03-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #6
James Reagan

Profile:

Friday
03/06/2009
Squat 5-5-5-1-(25)-(25) = 135-185-205-225-135-135
Press 5-5-5-5-5 = 95-95-95-105-105
Power Clean 3-3-3-3-3 = 95-95-95-115-115

Notes: Bad day. I apparently injured left glute/hamstring much worse than I thought Wednesday night from a wonky landing on the clean. 225 on the squat felt heavy and painful. I went down to one plate and got out 25 reps for two sets, which was extremely painful at first but hurt so good after the first 2-3 reps. On my off days I've been using 95-135 for very high reps, and I think its helping. The rest of the lifts were weak. Not gonna let this one discourage me as its only a minor setback. I hope I can squat heavy next week, but I'm sure by the following week at the latest I'll be back to normal.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:32 PM   #7
James Reagan

Profile:

Monday
03/09/2009
Front Squat 5-5-5-5-4 = 95-115-135-145-165
Push Press 5-5-5-5-5 = 85-95-105-115-120
Deadlift 5-5-5-5-5-(1)-(5) = 135-185-225-255-295-315-275

Notes: Left glute/hamstring is feeling better, but the offending movement is definately the front squat. It didn't feel too great, and I failed the last rep because of it even though the weight itself didn't feel particuarly heavy. I'm really hoping this issue will resolve itself soon. I did lots of high rep back squats at 95-135 lbs over the weekend that seems to be helping, but I'm not 100% yet. Deads worked out just fine, however, and I was able to get all my reps in and pull an easy 315 all done with double overhand grip + hook grip. I tried to get 7-8 out of the backoff set, but I was just smoked I guess and only got 5. My nutritional status has been very poor after a social extravaganza weekend out-of-town with very little sleep also. I didn't eat a scrap of food before I entered the gym at 4:30pm, but I ate about 3,000 calories of fast food after I left. I'm drinking milk the rest of the night. The outlook is good for this week. I got nowhere to go but up.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:35 PM   #8
James Reagan

Profile:

Wednesday
03/11/2009

Squat = 5-5-5-5-1-1 = 95-135-165-185-225-225
Bench = 5-5-5-5-1-1-1-1-1-5-5-5-5-5 = 95-115-135-145-155-155-155-155-155-135-135-135-135-135
Hang Clean = 3-3-3-3-3 = 95-115-115-125-125

Notes: Another crap day on the squat. I was starting to think my hamstring was good enough to squat medium weights, but around 185 I starting feeling a fiery burn in my left hamstring/glute killing all the power out of the hole. Two plates felt painful, and I tried again with a belt and it felt even worse. I guess this is going to take longer to heal than I think, and I ought to be more organized with my rehab. I did lots of high rep reverse hypers, which was suggested to me by a training partner. I've added considerable volume to my bench to take out some of my injury frustration, and the weight was all pretty easy to go up 5 lbs in the singles and the sets across next week. I discovered I can do hang cleans without interfering with the hamstring, so at least I can do that for a little while. I cut the hang cleans short, however, because I was in the gym for a good three hours already spotting, socializing, and not eating. I got in about 4,200 calories of fast food today and about 7.5g of EPA/DHA. I'll continue drinking milk to settle the evening. I'll be working reverse hypers tomorrow, and everyday until this injury heals. Knock on wood.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:18 PM   #9
James Reagan

Profile:

Friday
03/13/2009
Press 5-5-5-5-5 = 65-75-85-95-105
Press 1-1-1-1-1 = 110-110-110-110-110
Press 5-5-5-5-5 = 95-95-95-95-95
Hang Clean 3-3-3-2-2 = 95-105-105-115-115

Notes: Did lots of reverse hypers also working up to a medium weight. Still not quite ready to go heavy on the squat again yet. Very frustrating because I feel otherwise ready to go! I discovered ice to be the most powerful anti-inflammatory known to man. One could probably get through a heavy set immediately following 10-15 minutes of locally applied ice. Of course you would also probably get an honorable mention in the Darwinian Awards using this method. I better shy away from that. Hang cleans have replaced cleans from the floor because it seems not to irritate the injury much at all, of course, I'm not moving as much weight with the hangs unfortunately. Today (03/14/2009) I'll work on more high rep reverse hypers and chins/pullups. I should be able to pull 300+ for reps on Monday. I'd also like to work up to a max single to see where that is. Better do a backoff set of 8-10 reps too. Damn these hamstring injuries... how annoying! But I guess I should be thankful and grateful that I am otherwise healthy, and I'll be back to normal in due course. My last heavy squat was 260 for a set of five, but I'm going to have to work back up to it before I move beyond as I've lost about 10 lbs since I've had to stop squats. GOMAD is clearly the answer once I start squatting again. Life just ain't the same without below parallel squats...