CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-18-2009, 12:03 AM   #1
Harley Jennings

Profile:
Sore and stiff VS Injury ?

Another lower back question. I searched the forum and wanted to ask this since I am deployed with very limited access to decent therapy.

Ok, during a DL session I was lifting too heavy for my skill level and rolled my back and lost my lumbar curve in the process. I felt my back roll, then couldn't lock out at the top. I didn't feel bad after the lift, other than my feelings hurt that I couldn't complete the lift with good form. The rest of the day went about as normal.

When I woke up the next day I could hardly move. My lower back was locked up and it was painful to the point if I dropped something on the floor it was going to stay there since I couldn't bend over to get it. I took a day off from the gym, next day got back in to it to do some PVC, body weight stuff to see if I couldn't work it out.

While doing light DLs or even squats my back feels great, but when standing around or sitting during the day I have this deep throbbing sensation radiating down the center of my back in too my butt. Laying down flat on the ground with a t-shirt rolled under my lumbar region and my neck feels great, but as I get off the floor you can feel the pain coming back.

My question is since I can still walk, lift, do my daily thing is this serious enough to be an "injury"? Or should I continue to rehab through light exercise and stretching? (reverse hypers, hip extensions, ect).

Thanks!!!
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log
Old 02-18-2009, 09:29 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Sore and stiff VS Injury ?

It sounds like you herniated a disk... so yeah.

Herniated disk puts pressure on the spine which causes the nerves to radiate pain especially into the sciatic nerve into the butt possibly down the leg as well.

I would see a doc and get that checked out.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:54 PM   #3
Harley Jennings

Profile:
Re: Sore and stiff VS Injury ?

Thanks steven. The doc swings out this way every other week or so. So thank you and I'll report back!
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log