CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 10-27-2008, 04:36 PM   #11
Andy Gann

Profile:
Re: CrossFit Total

Quote:
I don't like to waste workouts with 1rm
IMHO - it's not a waste to find out what your absolute maximum lifting capacity is in those lifts ... not a waste of time at all.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:15 AM   #12
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post
OK, if I can stay on my maintenance schedule of 2 to 3 days of workouts a week for the next 10 years, I will be 39 years old. At that point my boys should be of an age that they will want to lift weights with me. Then workout time changes from "personal time" to "family time". At that point I can probably get away with 5 to 6 days a week of working out. Also, hopefully I will be partner or senior manager at my firm by then and will have money to spend on good eats and proper coaching.

In the mean time, it is not that I can't make big strength gains, it's that I am not going to dedicate the time and effort to that. My actual short term goals are I want to increase my Metabolic Conditioning so I can pop off consecutive muscle ups and 100+ pull up workouts with 400 meter sprints in between.
I see where you are coming from. If you were closer to following the main page WODS, you'd get more strength gains, but (I am assuming) your 2-3 workouts a week are more metcon based than strength based, considering your goals. If you were to make your 2-3 days strength days, you could easily get a 1000+ CFT. But that is obviously not a priority. (You could consider doing 4 short workout a week, 2 days of strength and 2 days of metcon.)
Old 10-29-2008, 10:14 AM   #13
Kevin Cherrick

Profile:

Brian-

Your total is not increasing for three reasons:

1) You don't train heavy;
2) You cover your butt with excuses (wife/family/work/lack of $$)
3) You think you are smarter than Coach.

Before you get defensive, just acknowledge that you've put barriers between you and a good CFT performance. Your schedule, age, priorities, etc.

If you don't want to be strong, that's fine. But don't claim to want strength but are victimized by your circumstances. That's BS.

I'm 27. I'm married. I work 13 hours a day. I am intentional with my marriage. My CFT is 970. My BW is 185#. I don't use ANY supplementation. I try to eat healthy, but you know how that goes sometimes.

I do the WOD's as prescribed. The heavy days help you get stronger by eliciting a strong neuroendocrine response. It changes your body's chemistry. I have been doing Crossfit as rx'd for over two years exclusively, and squat cleaned 265# yesterday, the first time I've gone heavy on cleans in over 5 years, because I just gained access to bumper plates.

My only point is THE PROGRAM WORKS.

So don't tell me the program doesn't work, or that you can't get to an advanced level. Just work the program and stop sitting in your comfort zone. You can increase your strength if you would stop telling the world all the reasons you can't.

You aren't me. You have your own genetic limitations like everyone. But Crossfit will push you to those genetic limits if you will just WORK THE PROGRAM.

I train for progressive incremental improvement. That is my short term goal. Keep that in mind and the rest takes care of itself.

Get your eye on the ball (whichever ball (family/work/fitness/fill-in-the-blank) that is).
Old 10-29-2008, 10:25 AM   #14
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Wow-
Epic first post, Kevin!
Old 10-29-2008, 10:31 AM   #15
Zac Jereb

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Wow-
Epic first post, Kevin!
Epic Kool-Aid drinkage.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:16 AM   #16
Ed Haywood

Profile:

Quote:
I am 29 years old now. When I was in my prime around age of 22-23
That's way too young to be playing the age card. I'm 44 and while my stats are nothing worth bragging about, I fully intend to be pushing "advanced" CFT numbers by my 45th birthday next summer. I also intend to post a 5 min Fran by this Christmas, which will be a nice jump from the 10 min Fran I was doing this summer. As far as I'm concerned, my "prime" is still to come.

IMO, comparison against others is a secondary purpose of benchmarks like CFT and Fran. The primary purpose of benchmarks is to measure your own progress. As any manager knows, only that which can be measured can be improved. That's part of the genius of Crossfit.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:47 AM   #17
Brian Bedell

Profile:

I'm 40/m/190/5-8inches and hit cft 1020 this week by "only" doing CF for a year, but bb before that with good amount of squatting. Age is not a factor!
Old 10-29-2008, 12:44 PM   #18
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cherrick View Post
Brian-

1) You don't train heavy;
Wow. I haven't checked this post in about 2 days and it appears I have been getting smeared all over the place due to my HSO's. That means Hot Sports Opinions for those of you who don't live in DFW area and listen to sports talk 1310.

OK well, where to begin. First, I am not sure how the rumor got started that I don't train heavy or have more of an emphasis on metcon. My three workout days per week usually consists of two SS lifting type days and one day of running. Running consists of anything from distance running up to 5k, although I tried a 10k once and/or sprint work. I generally do sprint work with one of my bosses who ran track in college.

I still to this day make huge strength gains following this schedule. I easily jump up from squatting 275 x 4 reps to 365 x 4 reps in a matter of about 6 - 8 weeks. At that point I usually his a plateau, end up going on some business trips, start running more, etc. and end up back around 275 x 4 before I know it. Then the cycle starts all over again.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:47 PM   #19
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Quote:
Brian-

2) You cover your butt with excuses (wife/family/work/lack of $$)
To address this point. Of course my wife and family are more important than some stupid workout routine. What, am I going to join special forces or be an MMA fighter. No I gave up those dreams years ago. With regard to work being a priority, that is questionable, especially considering that I am supposed to be working right now.

With money, I spend far too much money as it is now on fitness related stuff. Most recently have been spending cash on O'Lifting classes and PT with cross fit certified trainers. But I also have spent money on books, SS, PP, Greg Everett's book etc.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:49 PM   #20
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Quote:
Brian-

3) You think you are smarter than Coach.
I actually already addressed that in the last paragraph of my above post. Doubt I would be spending dough to do O'Lifts with USAW certified and CF certified coaches and going to a gym that is 30 minutes from my house. When I have a 24Hour Fitness membership and there is a 24hour Fitness gym about every 5 miles when you live in Dallas, TX.