CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 10-20-2008, 08:14 PM   #11
Chris Robinson

Profile:
Re: navyseals.com wod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Lang View Post
my goals r to push myself to the limit.
You can do that with any program.

Quote:
i want to get a lean as i possibly can, i am 5'11" between 184 and 188 depends week to week.
Yep, it's primarily a diet issue.

The question of "should you follow the navyseals.com WOD?" is one only you can answer. Check out my response at the end of this (wfs) thread and see if it fits your goals.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:13 AM   #12
Andrew Lang

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Robinson View Post
You can do that with any program.

Yep, it's primarily a diet issue.

The question of "should you follow the navyseals.com WOD?" is one only you can answer. Check out my response at the end of this (wfs) thread and see if it fits your goals.
i get worried that if i jump around from WOD to WOD, i will be taking away from gains i would be making by staying with one WOD.

do u know much about the diet aspect??
Old 10-21-2008, 11:05 AM   #13
Chris Robinson

Profile:

Quote:
i get worried that if i jump around from WOD to WOD, i will be taking away from gains i would be making by staying with one WOD.
I agree. Pick one program and stick with it for at least a month. If you don't make the gains you're looking to make, try something else.

Quote:
do u know much about the diet aspect??
I usually break diet into four categories:

First, The CrossFit prescription: "Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch, no sugar." Very straightforward and a great place to start. Here we're concerned primarily with the quality of food you're eating.

From there, you can go to Paleo (and it's variations). Paleo takes quality to the next level. Strict Paleo cuts out legumes and dairy, but many people see great success with Paleo + dairy. Run a google search for "Dr. Loren Cordain" or "Paleo" and you'll get plenty of information.

Next up is Zone Where Paleo is concerned with quality, the Zone is primarily concerned with quantity. It is recommended that for the first two weeks of Zoning you weigh and measure everything you eat. You will lean out very quickly on the Zone, and at some point will need to add additional fat blocks to your daily total. Read more about the Zone here (wfs) or run a google search for "Dr. Barry Sears" or "The Zone Diet."

Finally, there is Zone Paleo. This combines the Zone and Paleo diets, so you're concerned with quality and quantity.

Check out Robb Wolf's blog here(wfs), as well as some of the articles his written for Performance Menu. "42 Ways to Skin the Zone" is particularly good.

Last edited by Chris Robinson : 10-21-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:21 PM   #14
David Wood

Profile:

Quote:
I agree. Pick one program and stick with it for at least a month. If you don't make the gains you're looking to make, try something else.

First, The CrossFit prescription: "Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch, no sugar." Very straightforward and a great place to start. Here we're concerned primarily with the quality of food you're eating.

From there, you can go to Paleo (and it's variations). Paleo takes quality to the next level. Strict Paleo cuts out legumes and dairy, but many people see great success with Paleo + dairy. Run a google search for "Dr. Loren Cordain" or "Paleo" and you'll get plenty of information.

Next up is Zone Where Paleo is concerned with quality, the Zone is primarily concerned with quantity. It is recommended that for the first two weeks of Zoning you weigh and measure everything you eat. You will lean out very quickly on the Zone, and at some point will need to add additional fat blocks to your daily total. Read more about the Zone here (wfs) or run a google search for "Dr. Barry Sears" or "The Zone Diet."

Finally, there is Zone Paleo. This combines the Zone and Paleo diets, so you're concerned with quality and quantity.

Check out Robb Wolf's blog here(wfs), as well as some of the articles his written for Performance Menu. "42 Ways to Skin the Zone" is particularly good.

Much wisdom here, great post that boils down the essence of a lot of complications!!!

One more dimension to the diet thing, which usually follows after getting the quality and quantities fixed . . . manipulating the timing. This commonly leads to he form of "intermittent fasting" (including fasts (periods of not eating) anywhere from 12 - 24 hours, multiple times / week (many folks don't eat for 16 hours every day, getting all their consumption into an 8-hour window)).

I never made it past step 1 (basic CF prescription), but many people swear by the IF (intermittent fasting) option.

Those
Old 10-22-2008, 04:28 AM   #15
Scott Jenkins

Profile:

You seen todays Navyseals WOD , it might change your mind, GTG that Fran

Run with Fran:

Run 800 meters
21-15-9
Thrusters (95lb Rx)
Pull-ups

Run 800 meters

21-15-9
Thrusters
Pull-ups

Run 800 meters
Fran 3:19. Diane 2:49. Elizabeth 5:48. Cindy 26+21. Helen 7:50. JT 7:03. Grace 1.56
www.crossfitblackwater.com
Old 10-22-2008, 08:49 AM   #16
Andrew Lang

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jenkins View Post
You seen todays Navyseals WOD , it might change your mind, GTG that Fran

Run with Fran:

Run 800 meters
21-15-9
Thrusters (95lb Rx)
Pull-ups

Run 800 meters

21-15-9
Thrusters
Pull-ups

Run 800 meters
i did it this am...it sucked but it was a good change of pace
Old 10-22-2008, 08:50 AM   #17
Andrew Lang

Profile:

Quote:

thanks so much for the info...i actually posted the diet question like 3 weeks ago and i got 99% replies s***ing on me for not knowing anything about diet
Old 10-22-2008, 08:55 AM   #18
Scott Jenkins

Profile:

Quote:
i did it this am...it sucked but it was a good change of pace
What was your time Andrew?
Fran 3:19. Diane 2:49. Elizabeth 5:48. Cindy 26+21. Helen 7:50. JT 7:03. Grace 1.56
Old 10-22-2008, 10:38 AM   #19
Andrew Lang

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jenkins View Post
What was your time Andrew?
my time was 41 min....could have done it faster i think, but i wanted to make sure i did thrusters right and full rom...my legs were jello tho even before i started

lots more running in these wod's but i like that
Old 10-23-2008, 04:31 AM   #20
Scott Jenkins

Profile:

Quote:
my time was 41 min....could have done it faster i think, but i wanted to make sure i did thrusters right and full rom...my legs were jello tho even before i started

lots more running in these wod's but i like that
Thats good work Andrew, full ROM is very important. If that was navyseals version of Fran I cannot wait to see their 'Murph'