CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-05-2007, 07:47 AM   #1
Matt Smiley

Profile:
Does anyone know where I might be able to find some clips or pictures of tall people doing things like pistols, planches, levers, L-sits, etc? I’ve been trying to build up to some of these gymnastic-y movements lately, and sometimes it’s tempting to make excuses for not being able to do them well, since, as a fairly tall person, the physics aren’t exactly in my favor. Some inspirational examples of 6 foot+ folks doing this stuff would help banish my excuses. Thanks!
Old 01-05-2007, 08:00 AM   #2
Beau Bryant

Profile:
Not sure what you are considering tall.
I only recently began working a few of those mentioned and have made good progress in about 3 months.
I think I had a fairly good base to begin with, CFing hard for almost 8 months.
I'm only 6'2" and didn't even think of it limiting me until I just read your post. I do know that in the 3 months I have been working these movements it has increased strength beyond my belief.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:13 AM   #3
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
I would try not to dwell too much on it. Making excuses may tend to limit your progress.

I don't have video and am only just over 6ft but I can do pistols, 1 min L-sit, OHS 15 reps x bw. These took me a long time in fact it took me two years of work to meet the OHS goal.

I assume there are other tallish Crossfitters out there.

On the plus side a taller person probably has some advantage rowing, running, box jumps.

Sounds like it's time to adds gymnastic type stuff to your warm up and cool down periods

Old 01-05-2007, 09:10 AM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
If you go over to Drillsandskills, take a look at Roger in any of his guides. That goes for the CF Journals as well.

Though he tell me he is under 6 foot, he is a giant to me and is still something of a freak in gymnastics. Roughly about half a foot taller than most men's gymnasts. His group as well has about 4 or 5 gymnastic giants as well.

A taller person has advantage in rowing, needs to do taller box jumps relatively, and in my experience can have an advantage in LSD, hurdling, high jump. There is a limit as far as sprinting, though it wouldn't hurt in the long jump I'd imagine.

I'm sure if you were to find that one archive site of climbing and rings you'd find some taller gymnasts per say than norm.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:35 AM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
6'1", 47 years old:
ElbowLever
MuscleUp L-Sit SkinTheCat
(work/family/grandma safe)
I didn't start any gymnastics until I was 45 or so...
Old 01-05-2007, 10:07 AM   #6
Roger Harrell

Profile:
I'm a giant for competitive gymnasts. I'm about 5' 11". It makes things harder. No denying this, but it's still possible to do most of it. Are you going to see a guy who is 6' 4" doing a double twisting double layout on floor? Not likely, but you've still got plenty to work on that is totally doable. I've competed against folks that were 6' 4". These were NCAA Div 1 athletes. Not top tier Div 1, but competitive, which in gymnastics is still an outstanding accomplishment. Keep working at it, you'll get stuff, and you'll get much stronger and coordinated in the process.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:16 AM   #7
Bill Russell

Profile:
Very impressive Lincoln. I've been working on rings since last summer, progressing very slowly. I try to work them in to almost every workout.

I have plenty of better excuses than my height. :gunsmilie:

Bill Russell
Old 01-05-2007, 01:08 PM   #8
Josh Everett

Profile:
Stephane Rochet of crossfit surf city is 6'5" and does pistols, HSPU, L-sit, Oly lifts, you name it.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:26 PM   #9
Matt Smiley

Profile:
Awesome - he's got me beat by an inch and is still killing it. That ought to shut up that little doubting voice in the back of my head.

Thanks all.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:41 PM   #10
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
I'm almost 2 meters high and have fought a rather hard battle getting to my first pullup, to mention a simple and 'easy' gymnastic drill. It took me well over 6 months, but as soon as the bubble bursted, it was easy getting extra reps through GTG. I have an ambition of getting a one arm chin within this year, but I know it's gonna be blastedly hard because I'm so big.

Pistols was somewhat easier, but I still having trouble with unweigthed pistols, as my center of gravity travels quite far away from my centerline because of my long limbs, but still: It's do-able.

The recipe is simple: You just need to work harder than the little people.