CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 09-22-2008, 02:00 PM   #1
Charles Bennington

Profile:
Why can't I sleep?

This hasn't been the first night that my sleep has been pathetically short. I figured I'd give it a few nights before I posted anything, but it's been about a week and a half I can't function like this any longer.

Regardless of when I go to sleep, I can't sleep more than about 4 hours at a time.

I haven't had any caffeine in about a month or so. Nicotine isn't a factor, neither is alcohol.

Other than whole milk there is virtually no sugar in my diet for about a month+. No grains with the exception of 4 meals in the last month+.

I've tried backing off the training as well as complete additional rest days.

Sleeping environment hasn't changed at all.

I'm trying to stay away from electronics in the hour leading up to bed.

Any ideas? Anything I might have left out that would help?
Old 09-22-2008, 02:11 PM   #2
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Re: Why can't I sleep?

Do you work out at night?
Old 09-22-2008, 02:27 PM   #3
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

Did you recently change your diet, Charles? Certain deficiencies can show up when you suddenly take grains out of your diet (magnesium, zinc spring to mind). There are a few ways to address this, if this is the issue, plus there are other supplements to gently aid with sleep.

As Yael implied, the time of workout is important, too, since elevated stress hormones from evening workouts can keep you from getting deep sleep.

Any other sources of stress? Have you tried any relaxation routines before bed (e.g., yoga, meditation, a hot shower).

I haven't quite gotten my sleep figured out yet, myself, so I clearly don't have all the answers, but these three have seemed to help on various occasions.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:16 PM   #4
Terry ONeill

Profile:

What's bothering you?
Old 09-22-2008, 03:21 PM   #5
Gittit Shwartz

Profile:

If you're not taking ZMA, you should. It's safe, cheap and does wonders for your sleep and recovery. Make sure you get a reliable form though (magnesium aspartate).
Some other things that might help:
Do you expose your skin/eyes to sunlight during the day? For obvious reasons this can help adjust your circadian rhythm. Try getting at least 15 minutes in the morning (if you have a porch or yard just eat your breakfast outside). Supplementing with vitamin D or cod liver oil can help too.
If you've recently lowered your carb intake it can affect your sleep. You'll adjust eventually, just make sure you're not going to bed hungry OR too full.
Stress...yeah.

Last edited by Gittit Shwartz : 09-22-2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:56 PM   #6
Charles Bennington

Profile:

Stress from daily life is at an all time low. No family issues going on, no work issues going on, no relationship issues going on.

Picked up some Zinc and Magnesium today. As well as some melatonin. I also grabbed some time release Vitamin C. That one I got off Robb Wolf's Blog. It's supposed to help lower cortisol.

I'm up and watch the sunrise every morning and spend a huge chunk of my day in the sunlight.

I workout around 5:00-6:30 PM with bed time being around 10:00-11:00 PM. I've been pretty low on my carbs for over a month now.

Thanks for all of the quick replies.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:17 PM   #7
Gittit Shwartz

Profile:

Careful with the melatonin. You get dependent on it really quickly. Also, if you spend a lot of time in the sun and you don't have a problem initially falling asleep, melatonin is likely not your problem.
I'm guessing ZMA will do the trick. Don't be afraid to play with the dosage - you'll just get diarrhea if you take too much. The more you sweat the more you need.
Some people find too much vitamin C before bed actually makes them more alert.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:04 PM   #8
Charles Bennington

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gittit Shwartz View Post
Careful with the melatonin. You get dependent on it really quickly. Also, if you spend a lot of time in the sun and you don't have a problem initially falling asleep, melatonin is likely not your problem.
I'm guessing ZMA will do the trick. Don't be afraid to play with the dosage - you'll just get diarrhea if you take too much. The more you sweat the more you need.
Some people find too much vitamin C before bed actually makes them more alert.
Damn Gittit, you're a sleep wizard. I'll fore go the melatonin now and see how the ZMA goes. Thanks again everyone, hopefully tomorrow I will be a well rested individual.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:48 AM   #9
Charles Bennington

Profile:

Slept most of the way through the night. I didn't wake up for as long as normal when I did wake through the night. I did however wake more often, probably 5 or 6 times.

I'm going to try a little more ZMA today.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:55 AM   #10
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

Hope that keeps working for you. ZMA hasn't done the trick for me in terms of staying asleep. Melatonin does, but I don't like to use it very often. FWIW, for most people, it's a magnesium deficiency that ZMA helps with most. However, you can get magnesium citrate for maybe 20% of the cost of ZMA. It's a laxative, so don't follow the directions on the package (which typically call for ~1,500 mg for an adult). However, in the 100-200 mg range, it doesn't have that effect, but does an effective job of supplementing magnesium in an absorbably form. Magnesium oxide doesn't get absorbed well and is thus not really worth it.