CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-16-2008, 01:35 AM   #1
Rafael Garcia

Profile:
advise with power cleans and cleans in general

Yesterday i was practicing the Sunday wod, where we had to do power cleans. I was in the gym, when a monitor came near to me and started to say what kind of exercise i was doing. Not only what kind of muscles i was practicing, but i was going to damage my back. As he said, the movement that goes from the ground and finish in a clean, was a very very bad movement for discs back, because when you are pulling with the elbows up so quickly, you are stressing the back, and when you put the weight on your shoulders, you are pressing the discs lower back.

i was doing it with 30kg (more or less 60lb), and is obviously that my technique is not the best in the world, but i was trying to follow Ripettoe videos techniques.

sometimes i think about that i am going to get injured like lot of people in crossfit (as i has been said here) and it makes me feel scared.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:02 AM   #2
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Re: advise with power cleans and cleans in general

Elbow bend should be pulling you under the bar and should not happen until full extension.

If you are not keeping proper back positioning during the pull, you could damage your back. Done correctly, however, with a good lumbar arch, it is a perfectly normal movement. Regarding disc compression... the body is supposed to be able to support weights. Somehow I doubt your spine is going to shatter. Especially with 60lbs.

Bad form is another story, however, and it can definitely result in injury.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:00 AM   #3
Jill Zimmerman

Profile:

I have found the Worldclasscoaching video 1.4 hours long on just the clean vey helpful. I could not get that out of SS. I needed more piecemeal instruction. 30 bucks well spent for me. You shouldn't do it with a bunch of weight until your form is pretty much perfect.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:45 AM   #4
Alain Latour

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Garcia View Post
Yesterday i was practicing the Sunday wod, where we had to do power cleans. I was in the gym, when a monitor came near to me and started to say what kind of exercise i was doing. Not only what kind of muscles i was practicing, but i was going to damage my back. As he said, the movement that goes from the ground and finish in a clean, was a very very bad movement for discs back, because when you are pulling with the elbows up so quickly, you are stressing the back, and when you put the weight on your shoulders, you are pressing the discs lower back.

i was doing it with 30kg (more or less 60lb), and is obviously that my technique is not the best in the world, but i was trying to follow Ripettoe videos techniques.

sometimes i think about that i am going to get injured like lot of people in crossfit (as i has been said here) and it makes me feel scared.
Why don't you record yourself and post the video clip? Plenty of knowledgeable people here to comment on your form.

Good to see people doing CF in Spain. When I do it over there they stare at me. If you want I'll let you know next time I'm there. We could train together.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:39 PM   #5
Rafael Garcia

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain Latour View Post
Why don't you record yourself and post the video clip? Plenty of knowledgeable people here to comment on your form.

Good to see people doing CF in Spain. When I do it over there they stare at me. If you want I'll let you know next time I'm there. We could train together.
next time i will try to record myself :-). I will post it here. Anyway, more or less, is the same than the videos. The trainer even didnt want to explain me the posture and form. He only said that he doesnt understand what i am training with this exercises and that is one of the worst for the back :-).

and of course! you are invited! in spain i think i am (real spanish) almost alone. I am trying to make a girl partner hooked to this .. step by step :-)
Old 09-16-2008, 07:39 PM   #6
Ryan Whipple

Profile:

Quote:
He only said that he doesnt understand what i am training with this exercises and that is one of the worst for the back
If he doesn't understand what it is, how can he possibly know whether or not it is bad for your back?

He has two valid points. 1: A poorly done clean has huge potential for injury vs, say, a failed bidep curl. 2. Many people do not know how to properly execute Olympic lifts. Although I don't interfere with guys doing 1/4 squats (ineffective, but still safe), I always offer advice to those who clearly have no knowledge of an o lift, just because I recognize the potential for injury.

So, he's trying to look out for you, but not doing a good job. You're better bet is to video yourself and put it up for critiquing. The best bet is to find someone who can coach you nearby.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:52 AM   #7
Mark Lanza

Profile:

One thing you may have been doing, which seems pretty common, is not keeping the bar close to your abdomen during the lift. The explosion of the legs is to drive the bar up and the use of the arms at the beginning of the lift is simply to guide the bar in a vertical direction. This is difficult for a lifter to notice on lighter weights because you can get away with poor form. Once you try going heavy you will fail like crazy.
Explode with the legs - keep the bar tight to your body and get your hips under as fast as possible. Think kettlebell swing --
Old 09-18-2008, 11:26 PM   #8
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Whipple View Post
If he doesn't understand what it is, how can he possibly know whether or not it is bad for your back?

He has two valid points. 1: A poorly done clean has huge potential for injury vs, say, a failed bidep curl. 2. Many people do not know how to properly execute Olympic lifts. Although I don't interfere with guys doing 1/4 squats (ineffective, but still safe), I always offer advice to those who clearly have no knowledge of an o lift, just because I recognize the potential for injury.

So, he's trying to look out for you, but not doing a good job. You're better bet is to video yourself and put it up for critiquing. The best bet is to find someone who can coach you nearby.
Everyone is assuming that Rafael's form is wrong and this trainer knows what the heck he's talking about. It could be the other way around.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:45 AM   #9
David Gray

Profile:

Late hit, but now that I've got the video myself (and am unable to get an Oly coach in my area), I am wholly with Jill--get the video, it is worth every penny and a lot more if you're serious about getting the movement right.