CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 08-20-2008, 12:34 PM   #11
Marc Mayes

Profile:
Re: Single station WOD ideas for non-CF gyms?

I feel your pain, especially when people use the squat rack for bicep curls. Find a time when the gym isn't so crowded, there's usually at lull at the gym I go to one hour before lunch. The rower is always a great single station WOD, its never used at the local city gym except for a seat when resting between sets of inclined/declined man-boob makers.

Ideas:
*bring own equipment to the gym: kettlebells, wallballs, etc.
*45# dumbell thrusters then use them to anchor your feet for situps
*deadlift/burpee combo 21-15-9 or 5rounds of 5DL and 10burpees
*stack aerobic step thingies for box jumps, stack them against a wall for support.
*bring an "out of order" sign to secure a treadmill when doing "Michael" or "Helen"

Best of luck

-marc
Old 08-20-2008, 08:08 PM   #12
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
Another idea would be to do Tabata intervals. The time it takes to get to a different station would be much needed rest and not impair the workout.

This set would work pretty well, I think.
1. SDHP (since getting the bar is the hardest part for you, put this first. you could sub db's though)
2. Sit ups
3. Sprints on the treadmill
4. Push-ups
5. Squats

If you drop the sprints, you can do them all at a single station.
Very clever! I like it and will give it a shot. I'm going to have to put some thought into designing 'one round' WODs like these, I think. I've been very locked into the 2/3/5/7 round circuit WOD patterns.

(I can actually always get space for bodyweight stuff, since there are a couple of studios, once of which is usually free. Never a problem getting a treadmill either. It's just the weights/pull-up station that are the problem, really. But no doubt there are other people out there even more restricted than I am, so thanks on their behalf for your consideration)
Old 08-20-2008, 08:15 PM   #13
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Mayes View Post
I feel your pain, especially when people use the squat rack for bicep curls. Find a time when the gym isn't so crowded, there's usually at lull at the gym I go to one hour before lunch. The rower is always a great single station WOD, its never used at the local city gym except for a seat when resting between sets of inclined/declined man-boob makers.

Ideas:
*bring own equipment to the gym: kettlebells, wallballs, etc.
*45# dumbell thrusters then use them to anchor your feet for situps
*deadlift/burpee combo 21-15-9 or 5rounds of 5DL and 10burpees
*stack aerobic step thingies for box jumps, stack them against a wall for support.
*bring an "out of order" sign to secure a treadmill when doing "Michael" or "Helen"

Best of luck

-marc
Good stuff there Marc!
I commute via (a very crowded) train so lugging KBs is out, really. I could bring a skip rope though...

Deadlift/burpee is exactly the sort of thing i usually do and want more of!

I use DBs for sit-ups regularly in my warm-up (I do a couple rounds of what i call 'Sit-up Cindy' - 5 pull-ups, 10 push-ups, 15 sit-ups, 15 squats). That's when I can get the smith machine of course. If not, I sub in OHS with a towel or something. The DBs do help with the 'territorial ****ing' aspect for sure.

I did actually make up a sign in Japanese saying 'In Use' and left it next to the barbell when doing one running WOD (3x 400m + 10 squat cleans I think). But I felt like an ******* doing it and tossed it afterward.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:19 PM   #14
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Cohen View Post
Cormac,

I just started CF 3 weeks ago. I do NOT belong to a gym, and do NOT have much equipment at home. So, this is what I've been doing to make the best of what I've got:

At Home:
burpees, push-ups (on floor, or on floor with feet on stability ball), squats (no weights though), sit-ups, hip expensions (on stability ball), box jumps (on the stairs), dips (hands on fireplace hearth, feet on stability ball), jump rope.

In the Park:
pull-ups on a bar or on the rings at the kid's playground, box jumps onto a low wooden platform at the kid's playground

At the school:
run/walk on school track

I just modify all the workouts to make a hard workout out of what I've got to work with. I always end up sweaty and tired, and I can feel the improvements in my strength. It's not perfect, but it is working!!

On Saturday's, I've been working out with the local CF affiliate at a local park. We do some combo/routine incorporating run, burpees, squats, push-ups, pull-ups, box jumps....for the most part, no equipment except for the pull-up bar...and it is completely kicking my a**.
Totally agreed Nancy - no equipment is required to have your *** kicked by a workout. However, VARIETY is key to Crossfit. I have very low motivation for workouts I've already done a number of times. I kind of need that 'looks ok on paper...' factor you get from a WOD you've never done before to keep me at it regularly.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:07 PM   #15
John Biddle

Profile:

Cormac, if they have a treadmill does it have the rails or arms at the sides? Can you do dips off them?

The other thing I'd do would be to go through the workout archives (near the bottom of the right hand column of the main page) and look at all the different workouts that have been posted, and write down the ones that would be possible given the equipment and space constraints you have.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:14 PM   #16
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Biddle View Post
Cormac, if they have a treadmill does it have the rails or arms at the sides? Can you do dips off them?

The other thing I'd do would be to go through the workout archives (near the bottom of the right hand column of the main page) and look at all the different workouts that have been posted, and write down the ones that would be possible given the equipment and space constraints you have.
The treadmills have rails but they're very wide. I'd be in an iron cross halfway down

Bit of an exaggeration there. I'll try it but I doubt I have the strength yet.

btw, the 'run 400, 50 squats x3' (or is it x4?) WOD works very well on a treadmill.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:48 PM   #17
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:

Did G.I. Jane today - pull-up burpees for time. A Pull-up bar/Smith machine is the only requirement.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:52 AM   #18
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormac O'Connor View Post
Did G.I. Jane today - pull-up burpees for time. A Pull-up bar/Smith machine is the only requirement.
Ugg. Those are killer.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:13 PM   #19
Warren Scott

Profile:

My favorite WOD to do at my gym is where you do 5 reps of pull ups, 10 pushups, 15 squats. You do as many rounds as possible in 20 min. You don't have to move at all. Also I really like to hold a db or kb for the squats
Old 08-24-2008, 11:33 PM   #20
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Scott View Post
My favorite WOD to do at my gym is where you do 5 reps of pull ups, 10 pushups, 15 squats. You do as many rounds as possible in 20 min. You don't have to move at all. Also I really like to hold a db or kb for the squats
'Cindy', yep. Another good one for crowded gyms.

I get a few dirty looks from people who want to use the Smith machine when they see me doing push-ups under it, but they quickly realize what's going on when I get back to the pull-ups.

I did 'Angie' today - pretty much the same thing. 100x pull-ups, push-ups, sit-ups, squats. Chelsea and Barbara are other variations on the theme.