CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 08-17-2008, 07:31 PM   #1
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:
Single station WOD ideas for non-CF gyms?

Iím sure many of us know the frustration of finishing the 3rd 400m run of Helen, only to find that someone has stolen that DB you were using for the swings, or taken the only pull-up bar. Iíve more-or-less given up on doing these Ďmult-stationí WODs at my gym (which I stress, is NOT where I do most of my workoutsÖitís just more convenient for me as a new father to be able to work out at lunch rather than at home sometimes).

So, when at this horrible gym, Iíve taken to doing mostly WODs that mean I donít have to move from one spot in the gym. Some recent examples:
Deadlift/push-ups 10 reps each, 10rds
  • 21-15-9 DB thrusters, DB swings
  • Cindy (get some dirty looks with this Ďcause I use the Smith machine bar for pull-ups, and the other gym members looooove their bench. But so far Iíve gotten away with it)
  • 5k on treadmill
  • The Bear
  • Squat cleans (10-8-6-4-2)/sit ups (50-40-30-20-10)

So far Iíve had no problem doing bodyweight stuff in the free weight section, so long as I wipe my icky sweat up afterwards. I do see some covetous glances at the barbell but as long as I get back on it pretty quickly, Iím ok.

Sadly, there is no squat rack so I do little overhead stuff or squatting (I do that at homeÖ). Also, there is only ONE barbell, no medicine ball, no KBs, etc etc. You name it, they donít have it. This is downtown Tokyo, space is at a serious premium!

Iím sure there are plenty of other Crossfitters in a similar position, who find themselves looking at the .com WOD and sighing, knowing there is just no way that they could leave a barbell on the floor for 2 minutes while doing box jumps without someone grabbing it. Letís get some workable WODs listed up so we can still hit it hard even when in a hostile environment!

p.s. I searched but got a lot of Ďletís laugh at losers in commercial gymsí-type threads. This isnít my intent, which is why Iím making this thread. Just want some more ideas so I donít have to make my own WODs every time (which leads to serious cherry-picking on my part).
Old 08-18-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
Justin McGinley

Profile:
Re: Single station WOD ideas for non-CF gyms?

One barbell in the whole gym?

Wow.

My heart goes out to you. The obvious answer is "get a new gym." In a situation like that, I'd make the best out of body weight exercises(HSPUs, squats, dips, ect), and focus on metcons when it is crowded. You can do burpees anywhere, and they always bring the heart rate up fast.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:22 AM   #3
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Also, Eva T's website: skievat.blogspot.com has a LOT of bodyweight/no equipment WODs.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:39 AM   #4
Kevin Thomas

Profile:

This workout I came up with when I was on a cruise ship that worked out well.

For time:
50 burpee thrusters (30# dbs) It would probably scale well up to 100.
run 1 mile
Old 08-18-2008, 07:03 PM   #5
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
This workout I came up with when I was on a cruise ship that worked out well.

For time:
50 burpee thrusters (30# dbs) It would probably scale well up to 100.
run 1 mile
That would work pretty well actually - it's no problem leaving a spot if you don't intend to go back to it! Cheers.

Justin - yup, i'm all over the bodyweight stuff, thanks. But would you believe there is nothing to do dips on? Worst.Gym.Ever.

But it's all i got within striking range at lunchtime.

Anyone got any more?
Old 08-19-2008, 09:43 AM   #6
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormac O'Connor View Post
Justin - yup, i'm all over the bodyweight stuff, thanks. But would you believe there is nothing to do dips on? Worst.Gym.Ever.
Push two benches near each other, and do deeps inbetween them.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:52 AM   #7
Jerry Maestas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormac O'Connor View Post
That would work pretty well actually - it's no problem leaving a spot if you don't intend to go back to it! Cheers.

But it's all i got within striking range at lunchtime.

Anyone got any more?
Sounds like you might be better going to a playground and using the kids equipment to do your WODS...
Old 08-20-2008, 04:30 AM   #8
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Maestas View Post
Sounds like you might be better going to a playground and using the kids equipment to do your WODS...
That's how I started actually, doing Cindy on a swing set. I've done all kinds of workouts in playgrounds near my place.

C'mon guys, I get it, you all go to great gyms with neat-o equipment. I don't. I triple dare you all to come to Tokyo and find a better one. I'm not here to ***** about it, I'm just looking for some more ideas. I can do most of the key Crossfit exercises at home (I have dip stands, squat rack, barbell, dumbbell, rings, medicine ball etc..) so I don't need crazy ways to do these exercises. I'm just looking for some more WOD ideas that don't involve running around the gym. Surely i'm not alone here?
Old 08-20-2008, 10:23 AM   #9
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Cormac,

I just started CF 3 weeks ago. I do NOT belong to a gym, and do NOT have much equipment at home. So, this is what I've been doing to make the best of what I've got:

At Home:
burpees, push-ups (on floor, or on floor with feet on stability ball), squats (no weights though), sit-ups, hip expensions (on stability ball), box jumps (on the stairs), dips (hands on fireplace hearth, feet on stability ball), jump rope.

In the Park:
pull-ups on a bar or on the rings at the kid's playground, box jumps onto a low wooden platform at the kid's playground

At the school:
run/walk on school track

I just modify all the workouts to make a hard workout out of what I've got to work with. I always end up sweaty and tired, and I can feel the improvements in my strength. It's not perfect, but it is working!!

On Saturday's, I've been working out with the local CF affiliate at a local park. We do some combo/routine incorporating run, burpees, squats, push-ups, pull-ups, box jumps....for the most part, no equipment except for the pull-up bar...and it is completely kicking my a**.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:33 AM   #10
Kevin Thomas

Profile:

Another idea would be to do Tabata intervals. The time it takes to get to a different station would be much needed rest and not impair the workout.

This set would work pretty well, I think.
1. SDHP (since getting the bar is the hardest part for you, put this first. you could sub db's though)
2. Sit ups
3. Sprints on the treadmill
4. Push-ups
5. Squats

If you drop the sprints, you can do them all at a single station.