CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 09-19-2008, 09:58 AM   #11
Frank E Morel

Profile:
Re: My exercise induced asthma, compare to yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry A Henrikson View Post
"meaning.. its not a good workout unless i sweat thing" Funny, that's exactly what I said the other day but told myself to slow down and wait for my lungs to catch up.
Good on you for seeing this. Don't let it be the way you train. You have just have to find out your intensity threshold and just hold it longer than your used. It maybe 30 percent it maybe 70 percent. Once you know what it is you can then play with it as you can stronger.

Quote:
Last time I was at the doc's I forgot to ask how long the Asmanex would take. I am seeing a General but the next time I go I may switch to a Pulmonologist if I still have problems. I have another 2 weeks.
If you decide to change, dont rely on the doctor to just give you one. You may end up getting his fishing buddy or a school mate ( not necessarily a bad thing but it could boil do to funnelling business issue) When you got time, wander down to the Emergency room, and ask for the triage nurse, or the charge nurse and ask them. If they give you the blanket "they are all good" answer then point blank ask them which one would they take their asthmatic child to? Get two names, just in case of insurance issues.

Quote:
My first 14 days of Asmanex I took in the am, but the Pharmacist switched me to at bed time. Been doing that for 3 days now.
Good, the medication is timed released. So taking it in the day, most likely your working out during sub optimal medication levels. Changes now should be easily seen.

Quote:
I take a shot of albuterol before I train, and another if my chest acts up but I've been keeping it slow and only need 1.
just remember after your taking you medications, including albuterol. Wait 10mins and rinse your mouth out.

Quote:
As for allergies, that would be the next area of exploration. The weather is changing and my seasonals are kicking in (not to mention the allergens have been high since August when my Asthma started). I took a Claritin and it removed the whisper wheeze. We'll see what happens when the trees are clear and the weeds are dead. I may not need the Claritin and my wheeze or whatever will come under control until next season. Just have to go along with it.
Its a fairly common complaint with people with lung disorders that the spring and fall time that their ails are more active. Changes in air pressure, more pollen and pollutions are higher. Spring the air gets denser do to moisture, the fall, the air gets drier due to the cold temps.

wfs
http://www.ehponline.org/members/199...ales-full.html
http://www.rtmagazine.com/issues/art...1999-12_02.asp
http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/312/7031/604

Let us know how your making out or if your having hiccups.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:24 PM   #12
Larry A Henrikson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Whittle View Post
Hmmm...have you explored dietary asthma triggers? It's possible that you are eating or drinking something that is aggravating your asthma symptoms.

I don't know about you all, but I have been finding that the new non-CFC Albuterol inhalers don't work for shyt. The old ones that were bad for the ozone layer are much much better. I'm not sure what to do about the fact that it is next to impossible to find the old kind since they have been phased out.
About the only consistent thing is coffee in the morning. Bit of milk and that's it.

I've heard about the CFC. What a shame...

As for a pulmonologist, my mum is a registered nurse with connections at work. I've already asked her to ask around.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:57 AM   #13
Mike Sawley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Whittle View Post
It's possible that you are eating or drinking something that is aggravating your asthma symptoms.
I'd suggest looking more into dietary triggers in general. I have found that cutting out grains and legumes (not easy, I know) eliminated my hay fever, asthma, and oral food allergies. That's right, they're gone after 20 years of suffering! And the symptoms re-appear if I go off the diet for a weekend.

I thought this diet connection was beyond belief, so I emailed Robb Wolf who replied:

"This is a classic reaction/side effect of the paleo diet. Remove the main offending foods:grains, legumes and dairy and suddenly things like cat dander, pollen and reactive foods decrease or disappear all together. Reduce systemic inflammation and magic stuff happens!"

Magic indeed, my inhaler and allergy pills have been collecting dust now for about 6 months, reaching back to springtime which is no joke where I live. As Robb points out, symptoms may only decrease rather than disappear for some, but I'd imagine that anyone with asthma would gladly give up bread and beans to breathe better - especially if they're doing CF. Like you, I use a bit of milk for my coffee and it doesn't seem to affect the situation, but I added the dairy back in after a short period (1 month) on a strict paleo regimen.

I know it's hard to believe, but it's true, so I encourage others to see if it works for them too. Good luck.