CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-30-2006, 02:37 PM   #1
Michael A. Taylor

Profile:
I should have asked this question of you CF swimmers a long time ago. I'm racing in the La Jolla Rough Water Swim Sunday - 9/10/06. 1 mile race. I did it last year, it was a lot of fun.

Question: Would you use a 2 beat, 4 beat, or even a 6 beat kick in this race?

I ask because I realized my kicking might not really be helping me finish in a better time. With a friend of mine, a Master Swimmer, we did 100m drills (about 12 of them) for time with 30 seconds rest between. He was watching my stroke and said 'you have a powerful stroke, let's time you with the pull buoy'. I did 1:04 with the pull buoy. Then he timed me without the buoy ... 1:00 flat. 4 losing seconds?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:52 PM   #2
Kevin Burns

Profile:
Ok i'm a little confused. You said you did better without a pull-buoy. I assume you mean a pull buoy place between your legs preventing you from kicking.

You stated you dropped 4 seconds without the buoy.

I'm confused.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:46 PM   #3
Greg Hamilton

Profile:
if you're not an ex competitive swimmer, a minute flat for a 100 meter freestyle is absolutely incredible. even if you mean yards instead of meters, those are fantastic times for somebody that didn't have at least a few years of training on a swim team. i'm assuming you didn't swim on a swim team because it appears you haven't learned to use your feet and legs.

if you're swimming a 1:04 with a pull buoy, you should easily be swimming in the mid to low 50's in a 100 if you use your feet. sounds like you need to work some streamline and kickboard kicking drills. also purchase a pair of zoomers and work both short and long distances...this will help you learn the "feel" the water with your feet. don't lock your knees, but try not to bend them much and kick from the hips.

http://www.zoomers.net/

i also suspect, since you're apparently doing such a fantastic job with mostly your upper body, that you're not rotating properly in the water. this means you're swimming more like a barge than a speedboat. use a 6 beat kick (3 per pull) and make sure you're rotating your hips about 45 degrees with each pull, while keeping your face pointed down when you're not breathing.

hope some of that helps.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:05 AM   #4
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
I was an "Arm" swimmer for many years as a kid, probaly due to the fact that i was about 50% body fat a floated really, really well. It wasn't till i lost the fat that i actaully had to learn to kick.Today i sink like a stone as soon as i stop kicking.
I've never used zoomers (But i know Eugene likes them as well) so I cann't comment, and normal fins give me foot craps.
I use shinfins http://shinfin.com} to get the streamlined body and correct kick machanics.They dont give you that much of a speed increase when you are using them but train with them for a while then take them off and you fly through the water.
The added bonus because of there design no foot cramps :-)
Old 08-31-2006, 08:47 AM   #5
Danny Nowell

Profile:
I'd suggest giving Total Immersion a look before anything else.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:37 AM   #6
Michael A. Taylor

Profile:
Thanks guys for the help/advice. Now I'm thinking maybe my friend did not time me correctly. I am a good swimmer, but I never swam competitively in HS or college. I played baskteball & did crew. I'm going to the pool today. I'll time myself and see. I do own a pair of zommer2s, but have not used them much for the last few months.
I looked at the Total Immersion website, good stuff.
Thanks again!
Old 08-31-2006, 10:13 AM   #7
Greg Hamilton

Profile:
use those zoomers and/or shinfins. i have no experience with shinfins but they would appear to serve the same or very similar purpose.

definitely read Total Immersion, at least twice. i swam competitively for years and have coached kids' swim teams for the past several years. as a beginning or advanced swimmer or coach, there isn't a better swimming 101 book.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:49 PM   #8
Chris Tracy

Profile:
I agree with Danny, total immersion is a great program. I have many years of competitive swimming under my belt and the total immersion program improved my stroke; I can swim longer distances more efficiently. If you’re doing an open water swim, I would try to do as many open water swims as possible. IMO, open water swimming requires a stronger and usually a little deeper kick.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:11 PM   #9
Michael A. Taylor

Profile:
Just returned from the pool. My best time for the 100 yard (not meter) freestyle was 1:10. Big difference from 1:00!

Thanks again for the advice.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:58 PM   #10
Kevin Burns

Profile:
that time is still no joke for someone who never did much competitive swimming. i swam for 11 years and my best 100yd free was 53.23 and now i doubt i could do much better than you. but of course now i have to find out :-)