CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-04-2006, 01:54 PM   #1
Mike Kirkpatrick

Profile:
What are your thoughts on my workout program? First, let me go ahead and say that my goal is to be a Navy SEAL and I am also into MMA, so my program is a little different.

Monday: Run 1 mile* + CF WOD "Angie" + MMA instruction
Tuesday: CF WOD or Rest** + MMA instruction
Wednesday: Rest** or 100 Burpees using Tabata method
Thursday: CF WOD or Rest** + MMA instruction
Friday: CF WOD or Rest**
Saturday: SEAL PST
Sunday: CF WOD or Rest

* Once a 5:45 mile is achieved, I add 0.25 miles distance

**I complete the WOD or Rest in accordance with the Crossfit program

What are your thoughts on this? Will it work, or should I just stick with the WOD's?

(Message edited by Mike_k on August 04, 2006)
Old 08-04-2006, 05:27 PM   #2
Russ Greene

Profile:

I've seen far worse programs for overall fitness, but I'm not sure how good this will be specifically for being a SEAL. Where's the swimming and endless flutter kicks and pushups that you'll be sure to see in BUD/s? There might not be enough distance running either. I know distance running isn't the key to overall fitness that many people think it is, but if you don't do it, your joints will not be prepared for it, especially on sand and in boots.

Crossfit will get you in great overall shape, but if you want to prepare for something specific, you need plenty of specific training.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:28 PM   #3
Matt Thomas

Profile:
I'll let someone else more knowledgable handle the program critique, but good job on the goal that you're working toward. When are you headed to basic training?

Oh and if you're looking for more ideas to train specifically for BUDs you should check out www.stewsmith.com

(Message edited by the matt on August 04, 2006)
Old 08-04-2006, 06:58 PM   #4
Mark Garcia

Profile:
mon: do one of the "hero" workouts instead +MMA
tue: rest
wed: Tabata
thu: WOD + MMA
fri: rest
sat: PST
sun: WOD or rest
Old 08-04-2006, 07:13 PM   #5
Mike Kirkpatrick

Profile:
Russ, my first goal is to be able to ace the PST...that is why I chose "Angie" (although I will now change it to a hero workout as Mark suggested), because Angie would enable me to get the 100 pushups and situps into the 2 minute time limit that is on the SEAL PST. As far as the swimming, I swim very often. I live on the lake, so swimming is a common thing (although this summer I have been doing timed swims using the CSS).

Matt, I am only 16, but being a SEAL has been my dream since I was 7. I am not sure when I will enlist, probably after College.

Mark, I am going to give your schedule a shot, but 2 things...1)What kind of Tabata intervals should I choose? and 2) I am still going to have to go to MMA instruction on Tuesday (I love it), so should I take another rest day?

Thanks again
Old 08-04-2006, 07:23 PM   #6
Jason Steele

Profile:
Mike-

Have you checked out http://www.thesealquest.com ? It is a mix of Crossfit with some BUD/S centric exercises.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:19 AM   #7
Mike Kirkpatrick

Profile:
Jason, I have been a member of TSQ since January. The reason I don't do their workouts is because they have 3 workouts to be done in 1 day, and it is very tough to balance their high workload and also practice MMA 3 times a week, without overtraining. So I have decided to design my own program using their core program (Crossfit), and add my own endurance work which would not have as high a workload and I wouldn't overtrain.