CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 06-15-2008, 02:57 PM   #1
Alex Nisetich

Profile:
Practical Programming

In the middle of May, I began doing the Advanced Novice routine from Mark Rippetoe's "Practical Programming." I have been following the template since, missing only one workout, and will continue with it until the end of this month, or until I stall on it if that happens sooner. For those wondering, this program works. Here are my results after roughly four weeks of training:

Back Squat: 225 lbs. x 3x5 --> 285 lbs. x 3x5
Bench Press: 175 lbs. x 3x5 --> 200 lbs. x 3x5
Press: 105 lbs. x 3x5 --> 122.5 lbs. x 3x5
Front Squat: 177 lbs. x 3x5 --> 203 lbs. x 3x5
Deadlift: 275 lbs. x 1x5 --> 285 lbs. x 1x5
Power Clean: 177 lbs. x 3x5 --> 193 lbs. x 3x5
Pullups: 11,7,5 --> 13,9,7 ; w/weight, +15lbs. x 3x5 --> 20lbs. x 3x7

The one problem I've had is increasing the weight on deadlifts. I can definitely lift more than 285 for a 5 RM (in my last CFT I pulled 375 like it was a toy), but there just isn't that much opportunity in the program to reach on DLs. I'm sure though that with all the squatting along with power cleans and the pullups my deads will improve more than I think. I'll test 1RM in a few weeks when I switch programs. I'm hoping to squat 335, DL 385, PC 210, and bench 255, all numbers that would put me very close to the my lifetime PRs or set new ones.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:45 PM   #2
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Re: Practical Programming

Very impressive!

I'm only less than half way through Practical Programming, myself. What exactly is the programming you're using? And are you adding any kind of metcon or general CF activity? How long do your workouts last? And have you gained any mass?
Old 06-15-2008, 05:17 PM   #3
Alex Nisetich

Profile:

The program:

WEEK 1

Mon. - Back Squat 3x5
Bench Press 3x5
Weighted Pullups, 3x5-7
Wed. - Front Squat 3x5
Press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5
Fri. - Back Squat 3x5
Bench Press 3x5
Pullups, unweighted, 3 x failure, adding weight after 15 reps to failure

WEEK 2

Mon. - Back Squat 3x5
Press 3x5
Pullups, unweighted, 3x failure
Wed. - Power Clean 5x3
Front Squat 3x5
Bench Press 3x5
Fri. - Back Squat 3x5
Press 3x5
Weighted Pullups, 3x5-7

For all exercises, 2-3 warmup sets, work sets are done across with no progressive loading. I add weight every workout, assuming I moved a lighter weight easily with good form during the previous session. All workouts followed by full body static stretching, typically lasts 15-25 min.

My diet is not strict. I try to eat in the neighborhood of 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight per day, aside from that, lots of vegetables, milk, nuts, some whole grains, fruit, the occasional cheat day. I sleep about 6-7 hours a night, would love to get more but can't because of my schedule. No supplements as my budget will not allow them, although I drink lots of green tea if you count that (I just like it, so I don't consider it a supplement).

I started at 175 lbs, ~13% BF, and I'm currently 178 lbs, ~11.5% BF, so I've gained a little muscle and lost a little fat. I have not been eating to gain mass, so the change in body composition and added muscle are welcome surprises. I'm 5' 9" tall, if that matters.

No extra activity except daily life and the occasional rugby game/tossing the ball around with some guys from my team. Hope this is helpful for you.

Last edited by Alex Nisetich : 06-15-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:14 PM   #4
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Thanks for the info. Come this fall, I'll be doing a strength cycle similar to that. Not sure if It'll just be starting strength or something more similar to what you're doing. I'm leaning towards the latter...

Just gotta get off my lazy *** and finish reading Practical Programming.

I hope you realize how impressive your body composition changes are, by the way. You basically lost ~two pounds of fat and gained ~five pounds of muscle in four weeks.

Last edited by Júlíus Magnússon : 06-15-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:04 AM   #5
Aaron Henderson

Profile:

How do you integrate the schedule outlined in PP with trying to to do WODs as well as some moderate endurance training? I have been crossfitting for 2 years, doing Starting Strength for 2 months, eating zone moderately well for 2 months and I sleep 9 hours a night. Now that it is summer I've added 2 hours of Ultimate Frisbee, once a week, and strenuous hiking or biking once a week.

I want to switch from the SS routine to one of the PP routines (probably the one outlined in this post). Should I follow a 3-on, 1-off? Are moderate intensity exercises such as biking, hiking and clubs sports considered days off?

A typical week looks like this:

M: Lift Heavy - Squats, Cleans, Presses
T: WOD - Kelly (400m run, 30 Wall Balls, 30 Box Jumps x 5 rounds)
W: 2 hours of sprinting (Ultimate Frisbee)
Th: Rest
F: Lift Heavy - Squats, Deadlifts, Bench
S: WOD - Fran
S: 4 hour strenous mountain hike
M: Lift Heavy

I want to get stronger. Should I try to squeeze in another Heavy Lifting day? Do I need to take more rest? Any input would be much appreciated.

Aaron from Denver Crossfit
Old 06-28-2008, 02:11 PM   #6
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Way more rest.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:06 PM   #7
Jake Oleander

Profile:

ultimate frisbee is not two hours of sprinting...
Old 06-29-2008, 02:50 AM   #8
Ariff Saufi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Oleander View Post
i wanted to say the same thing, but i refrained myself ...
Old 06-29-2008, 08:49 AM   #9
James Besenyei

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Oleander View Post

Maybe it's not two hours of '400m around a track sprinting' but it could very possibly (depending upon who Aaron is playing Ultimate Frisbee with) be two hours of running quickly, stopping, and running again....oh wait a minute, that's what sprinting is.

Sprint--Noun. 1. Athletics, (a) a short race run at top speed, (b) a fast run at the end of a longer race. 2. Any quick run
Old 06-29-2008, 12:00 PM   #10
Chris Bate

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Henderson View Post
How do you integrate the schedule outlined in PP with trying to to do WODs as well as some moderate endurance training? I have been crossfitting for 2 years, doing Starting Strength for 2 months, eating zone moderately well for 2 months and I sleep 9 hours a night. Now that it is summer I've added 2 hours of Ultimate Frisbee, once a week, and strenuous hiking or biking once a week.

I want to switch from the SS routine to one of the PP routines (probably the one outlined in this post). Should I follow a 3-on, 1-off? Are moderate intensity exercises such as biking, hiking and clubs sports considered days off?

A typical week looks like this:

M: Lift Heavy - Squats, Cleans, Presses
T: WOD - Kelly (400m run, 30 Wall Balls, 30 Box Jumps x 5 rounds)
W: 2 hours of sprinting (Ultimate Frisbee)
Th: Rest
F: Lift Heavy - Squats, Deadlifts, Bench
S: WOD - Fran
S: 4 hour strenous mountain hike
M: Lift Heavy

I want to get stronger. Should I try to squeeze in another Heavy Lifting day? Do I need to take more rest? Any input would be much appreciated.

Aaron from Denver Crossfit
I don't think that's too bad (from my perspective, what I can handle, you been doing xfit 2 years, prob not bad for you either) as long as you keep nutrition/sleep up.

Keep the volume for lifting down as much as possible (maybe try 2 lifts a day instead of 3). Change Friday to a "light day" where "Squat" would be like 3x3 Front Squat instead of heavy back squat and only 1x5 on the deadlift.