CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 05-15-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
Kreg Costa

Profile:
Immune System

I've been getting sick frequently. Usually clears up with Homeopathics. Can anyone provide information on building up my immune system? Being sick really affects my workouts. Medically no problems found. I take a liquid multivitamin and other supplements. Can anyone help please????
Old 05-15-2008, 07:25 PM   #2
Justin Shipley

Profile:
Re: Immune System

what do you eat?
what is your living environment like?
your work environment?
Old 05-16-2008, 05:19 AM   #3
Kreg Costa

Profile:

I eat well. Chicken, Veggies, Protien Bars and Shakes, Fruits, and Nuts. I work in Law Enforcement. I know the stress of my job doesn't help.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:57 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

DON'T WORKOUT WHILE SICK. THIS DEPRESSES YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM.

Otherwise, workouts should actually help boost your immune system. Try to cut down on as much stress as possible. Get 7-8 hours of sleep. Consistently good diet.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:28 PM   #5
Frank E Morel

Profile:

bring some disinfecting wipes to work and wipe down.. your radio, your steering wheel, shifter anything else you have you share.

too much stress, and too little quality sleep, and always.. overtime are the killers
Old 09-15-2008, 09:41 PM   #6
Christy Warren

Profile:

i don't know if this is way too after the fact....but I used to get sick ALL the time. Like for 10 years I was sick off and on. Everytime I would ramp up my workouts I would get sick. And then I would get sick even when I didn't. I finally got Mono and that really kicked my ***. I eat very well, exercise and take care of myself and I am a firefighter - so kinda same stress deal. I was ready to try ANYTHING after the mono. So I said what the hell and found a good acupuncturist. Yes I was skeptical. And I haven't been sick in 2 years. I went a bunch with the mono and now I try and get in once a month for tune ups. It seriously changed my life.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:24 AM   #7
Gittit Shwartz

Profile:

Christy, thanks for the tip, it's right on time for me... I had mono in March and ever since then if I push myself hard for just ONE workout I am guaranteed to get sick. Before mono NOTHING would ever get me. It's been pretty frustrating. Will definitely look into acupuncture.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:31 PM   #8
Justin Shipley

Profile:

Kreg, the protein bars and shakes won't be doing your imunity any favours- the bars will contain soy and sugar, and the shakes either soy or whey as the protein constituent minus it's attendant milk fat.
get protein and fat from the same source, i.e. whole eggs, whole milk, meat with fat on, chicken breast with skin on, etc, and you have the complete complementary package. This can only help whereas bars and shakes are not part of 'a healthy diet'.
I hear where you're coming from, though; my immunity has taken a hiding in the past couple of months due to flu and stress- and the stress is the driver. All other nutritional and lifestyle bases covered but when you operate at elevated levels of stress constantly then it doesn't take much to knock you over... then when you're down, every passing ailment wants to put the boot in on the way by.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:49 AM   #9
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

I'd suggest upping your intake of healthy fats. You can get your omega 3s from fish oil, but you should also eat some good fatty nuts, like almonds and macadamias. Dairy, eggs, and meat also. Chicken is good, but the skinless breasts don't carry much in the way of fat. Thighs with skin are better.

Fats are the stuff of cell membranes. You need some to live healthy, especially when you work out hard or have other sources of inflammation like infections. The essential fatty acides (Omega 3s & 6s) are a critical part of that equation. We supplement Omega 3s, because they're harder to come by, but the rest of the fats still need attention in your diet.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:31 AM   #10
Bryan Gates

Profile:

Hypocaloric diets will temporarily hinder the immune system.
Low carb diets will temporarily hinder the immune system.
Being too lean will hinder the immune system.
Insufficient protein intake will hinder the immune sytem.
Insufficient fat intake will hinder the immune system.
Under recovering will hinder the immune system.
Not sleeping enough will hinder the immune system.

Eat more. Sleep more. Try cutting back on working out a bit. Take a light day or week if necessary. Consider supplementing with glutamine powder, but if you have a hypercaloric, high protein diet this probably wont help.