CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 04-28-2008, 06:54 PM   #1
Ben Kimmerle

Profile:
1 RM Clean Form Check

20/male/5'10"/170 lbs.

Next week I'm starting the PM Mass Gain program, so today I took my 1RM for the clean and the press. I've never maxed out on the clean because I'm relatively new to it, but today I went for it. The highest weight I had previously cleaned with was 165 lbs., and today I hit a 210 lb. clean. I tried for 215 but it just wasn't there, though I'm happy with 210. My press was 140 lbs., need to work on that...

Anyway, here are videos from my 175 lb., 185 lb., and 1RM 210 lb. cleans.

175: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BHEi1DQgqIWFS??

185: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivG5kXkbcYYWFS??

210: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BCkPvtDQzgWFS??

(All videos are W/F safe. And check out the guy doing calf raises in the background of the 210# video, haha)

A few things I noticed myself:
-My elbows bend a little prematurely
-My landing stance is much wider than my take-off stance, is this OK?
-I need to work on my 3rd pull. I had a few failed attempts at 210 and 215 and after looking at video I think it's because I'm not pulling myself under the bar quickly enough.
-I psyched myself out since it was my first time working with that much weight.

Any suggestions and advice are welcome. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 06-03-2008 at 05:05 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:16 PM   #2
patrick j fleming jr

Profile:
Re: 1 RM Clean Form Check

get a haircut
looks like you are rowing not pulling
more in the 1&2. Also looks like you are jumping back not under-feet should be in the same plane. Your width will improve with technique and flexability, look a little shallow
Old 04-28-2008, 08:16 PM   #3
Ben Kimmerle

Profile:

What, you don't like the dreads? Can't cut them now, closing in on 2 years!

I see what you mean on the jumping back, and I definitely did it. How would I work on that? I was thinking maybe stacking plates at my heels to keep me from moving backwards, and keeping the weight low when doing this.

Also, as for the rowing comment, I might be misinterpreting, but I was under the impression that you wanted to remain over the bar as long as possible. Was I not doing this correctly, or maybe this is not right? What do you mean?

Thanks Patrick.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:50 PM   #4

Profile:

Your weight shifts too far forward on your feet too soon - you're up on your toes by the time the bar passes your knees. Stay back longer - you should only begin extending the ankles as the scoop begins, and even then, your COM needs to stay behind the COP - that is, even if your on the balls of your feet, the weight needs to remain over the feet just in front of the heel. Don't think of extending/not extending the ankles - just think of where the weight is over your feet.

That forward balance is compounded by the position in which you finish your extension; like Patrick said, you're rowing - in other words, your body is extending essentially vertically, which is placing the bar too far in front of you. At the peak of your pull, your entire body should be inclined backward - in the clean, it will be slight, but it needs to be there, and the degree to which it's necessary will increase with the weight. In that final extension position, think of stretching your arms out to ensure you maximize the transfer of leg/hip power to the bar.

3rd pull could be a bit more aggressive, but it's not too bad. However, the elbows come down/back a little soon, which encourages the bar to float out in front of you (and it's already headed in that direction because of your forward balance from the beginning). That's why it crashes on you a bit and pulls your chest down as you receive the bar.

Work on keeping those feet closer to the floor as you pull under - you kick back a bit and you replace your feet a little too far back, which sets your weight forward, compounding the forward bar, etc. and making your receipt and recovery more difficult than it needs to be (heavier weights would just result in misses instead of struggle). Jumping backward when you snatch or clean is not inherently problematic (in fact some of the world's most accomplished coaches insist it's ideal, and I agree), but it has to be the result of you moving the entire bar/body system backward, not just accidentally replace your feet too far behind your center of mass.

The receiving position of your feet should be wider than the pulling, although not necessary dramatically. That receiving position should be identical to your squat positioning (front, back, and overhead). In your start, I'd like to see you toe out a bit more to get a bit of flare with your knees - right now they're directed straight ahead (and it almost looks like they're directed in slightly). That will allow a more upright torso position as you pass the knees.

Shoot me a PM - I have something for you regarding the PM mass gain program.

Last edited by Greg Everett : 04-28-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:35 AM   #5
patrick j fleming jr

Profile:

yeah what he said
Old 04-29-2008, 09:16 AM   #6
James Forshaw

Profile:

Our stats are so similar. I'm 5"10 and around 170, and I did 1RM C+J in my dinner hour today AND scored 210 (95kg) as my 1RM. I also tried to put 100kg up and failed twice. Spooky. I wonder if we look alike...
Old 04-29-2008, 09:19 AM   #7
James Forshaw

Profile:

Ah, just checked the video - we don't.

You made that look easy, there's no way I could have got my feet off the floor doing 210lbs.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:06 AM   #8
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Kimmerle View Post
And check out the guy doing calf raises in the background of the 210# video)
Impeccable form.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:36 PM   #9
Ben Kimmerle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Forshaw View Post
Ah, just checked the video - we don't.
Lucky for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Forshaw View Post
Our stats are so similar. I'm 5"10 and around 170, and I did 1RM C+J in my dinner hour today AND scored 210 (95kg) as my 1RM.
Maybe we can both clean that much, but there's no way I could have jerked that much weight. Not even close. Congrats on the max. I know how hard it is.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:45 PM   #10
Alex Reynolds

Profile:

Are we allowed to talk after Greg Everett has commented on it??