CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-29-2007, 08:17 AM   #31
Robert Olajos

Profile:
Re: "Low Intensity Good Enough" Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Gruezo View Post
For example at work in a "Wellness Center" I had someone do 5 rounds of 5 air squats, 5 pushups, 5 situps. This person is clearly overweight, however does the typical bodybuilding routine and thinks he is somewhat fit.

I offered to show him something else different and talked about the workout above. He said "That's It?" and I said, "Yup...However your goal is to finish this workout as fast as you can." So I assume he thought it was a piece of cake.

By the third round this guy wanted to quit. Keep in mind it was less than a minute. However he was not used to that feeling of sucking for oxygen. Long story short, he said he wasn't ready for what I had to bring to him. He needed to "get more fit." He still doing the same old thing.
I've been thinking about this guy. He's in the "what's a good result for this workout" mindset. He expects an answer like, "A fit person should be able to do X reps in Y minutes." He needs to stop comparing himself to others and start comparing himself today to himself yesterday. What's a good result? A good result is better than your last result. But unfortunately, he did one CF-style workout and left, thinking he wasn't ready for it. We need to emphasize that your first CF experience (even your first few months of CF) is to get a baseline, not to prove or disprove your readiness or fitness.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:26 PM   #32
Skylar Cook

Profile:

For sure. Don't intimidate them. The idea is to get them hooked on it, not make them feel incompetent and unfit. Remember:

"The mental picture we're giving our trainers is that of a longer on-ramp to the highway of full intensity."
-Coach

Last edited by Skylar Cook : 08-29-2007 at 01:27 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-29-2007, 02:00 PM   #33
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylar Cook View Post
Remember:

"The mental picture we're giving our trainers is that of a longer on-ramp to the highway of full intensity."
-Coach
Oooooo, I really like that! That's a brilliant image.

Thanks for sharing that.

Susie
Old 08-30-2007, 05:03 AM   #34
Darrell E. White

Profile:

White coat here, reporting in...

I'm in the middle of a several month research project in an attempt to propose a new paradigm for funding health care in the U.S. As part of that effort I've continually come across a fascinating fact: lifespan and mortality in the U.S. (on a population basis) is NOT associated with access to healthcare or health insurance in either a positive or negative direction. Morbidity and mortality in the U.S. is most strongly correlated with lifestyle and lifestyle-related diseases: obesity, especially trunk fat (diabetes, heart disease, hypertension), smoking (lung cancer, heart disease), and alcohol abuse (obesity, liver disease, accidental deaths).

The authors are not talking to us. They are not researching ways to improve the health of Crossfitters. They are researching to find a way to improve the woeful health of the lowest common denominator, people who cannot even HANG from a PU bar, let alone get a jumping PU. Is this in itself a disgusting, depressing scenario, a condemnation of our nation's overall health and fitness? Absolutely.

Think about your wallet, though. Each person who improves their health represents that many fewer dollars we as a society will spend to care for their poor health. Every person who starts with this ridiculously minimal level of exercise is then a candidate to be a globogym member as they move up the fitness food chain. And every globogym member is a candidate to be FIT, and therefore a candidate for Crossfit. They gotta walk before they can jog, and they gotta jog before they do Tabata squats.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:33 AM   #35
Brian De Mio

Profile:

Very true Darrell,

In my profession I don't have to worry about most of you folks unless it's injury.

In this country we have folks who are so sedentary and overweight that just walking across the room is much like doing the WOD's. You guys/gals are a rare breed. You are the top end of the bell curve.

The sad part is that in our day and age we literally have to do those kind of studies to help that majority understand that just being able to walk across a room is important to sustain life.

This is a huge part of what I do as I have so many folks with health issue's I'm certain they would be without if I could get them to exercise a few times a week.

The good news? ENDLESS SUPPLY OF POTENTIAL CLIENTS!!!!!
Old 08-30-2007, 09:27 AM   #36
Corey Duvall

Profile:

Are we really saying that these people don't KNOW that their lifestyle is unhealthy? Perhaps I am naive, perhaps I own a utopian vision in my relative youth, but I do not believe these people are so ignorant that they think cheeseburgers and the price is right is a high quality lunch environment. It abounds EVERYWHERE that a sedentary lifestyle is unhealthy. People shop for clothes, people attempt to watch movies in a theater, get denied access to an amusement park ride; but then they read in the paper that walking for 20 minutes is "good enough". So they think, "Gee, I walk from my house to my car, car to office, office to car, car to house... plus I walk to the fax machine and coffee pot a few times a day, I'm doing just as much walking as them. It must be my bad genetics. Oh well, that's the life I was dealt." I say forget that. Raise the bar. Make them aware that those studies are a farce of true knowledge about fitness. Some of these folks may have even attended a globo gym, been rather confused, possibly tried very hard but saw no improvement and perhaps even sustained some "injuries". For an overweight person, even walking a mile could mean excruciating back pain, knee pain, foot pain, pain pain. And that's because they've done so little of it their body doesn't even remember how to. Our job is to bring them into the light. Our job is NOT to let them flounder around in some attempts at fitness, getting into even worse shape and hoping they finally collapse at our doorstep. Our job is to get out there, explain to them that our workouts are designed to be scaled to their fitness level, yet will still be FAR more beneficial and efficient than those neighborhood walks. I believe the results they see will be addicting. Who really ever quits an exercise program saying, "Gosh, I just started feeling better, moving better, it didn't take much time, and I had fun... time to forget this and find an elliptical"?? I am not OK with sitting back, thinking I might save a few bucks on insurance because some paltry, ridiculous article pampered some people into feeling "good about themselves" and that they are "doing good enough". Forget that. I'm gonna show them that doing better isn't as scary or dangerous as they had once imagined.

That's my rant and I'm stickin to it.

PS. My most recent t-shirt idea: No time? No results? No Excuses.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:36 AM   #37
Brent Lucas

Profile:

Love the rant Corey

This is another example of people being told over and over again, via various means ,that they are:

NOT responsible, someone else is

NOT accountable, they are imperfect but we all still love them

NOT required to win, it's OK to suck because it's a free country

What they are NOT being told is they are:

NOT responsible, someone else is, and that someone else going to rob/sue/beat the snot out of you one day when they realize you are a prime target.

NOT accountable, they are imperfect but we all still love them, until they flop over on the sidewalk and realize that no matter who is to blame, all the hoses and IV's are running into THEM.

NOT required to win, it's OK to suck because it's a free country, until others who come from a much leaner lifestyle realize you can't fight back, and steal your FREEDOM AND YOUR COUNTRY.

The unfortunate historical truth however, is the only way societies change is through a FAST and painful reset.

Boy...are we due....
Old 08-30-2007, 11:27 AM   #38
Randy Gruezo

Profile:

Corey,

Love the rant.....I'm with you bro on that one. Also I like that T-shirt. I think i'm going to print that out.

Randy
www.crossfitsouthflorida.com