CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-28-2008, 08:38 AM   #31
Jason M Struck

Profile:
Re: Cosgrove's latest t-nation 'ah-ha' article

hypertrophy being more systemic than most realize is a huge A HA!
Old 03-28-2008, 08:46 AM   #32
Steve Reggio

Profile:

What is this Hypertrophy you speak of?
Old 04-08-2008, 01:19 PM   #33
Ryan Jones

Profile:

I'm confused, if hypertrophy is systemic, then how do you explain that species of gym-goer with the huge upper body and the chicken legs?
Old 04-08-2008, 01:36 PM   #34
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Jones View Post
I'm confused, if hypertrophy is systemic, then how do you explain that species of gym-goer with the huge upper body and the chicken legs?
Hypertrophy itself is specific to the stress applied to muscles; however, lack of overall stress can be countered by hormone release from compounds. That's what they mean in terms of deadlift on biceps strength.

It is possible to have "specific hypertrophy" applied towards an area for long enough that such an effect would occur where athletes have large(r) upper bodies compared to smaller lower bodies such as in gymnastics. The legs are built more towards power than strength and thus hypertrophy is unnecessary where a certain amount of hypertrophy in the upper body is necessary to do such events as rings.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:01 PM   #35
Aaron Trent

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormac O'Connor View Post
Not very scientific I know, but isn't it also possible that Armstrong's otherwordly mental strength is the main carryover from his cycling training to marathon running? For Lance, 3hrs is a short spurt; probably a huge advantage over the thousands running behind him, for whom it is the longest race they'll ever run.
Not really, the stages in the tour generally only last 3-5 hours and excluding the mountains a lot of it is riding in a pack. Riding in a draft such as one created by the tour peloton reduces output by a lot. One of Lance's adavantages was having a pacer that kept him at the perfect speed all through the race.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:04 PM   #36
Aaron Trent

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post

Although I think you'd get more crossover benefit from what Cosgrove was talking about in muscle stimulation rather than aerobic engine. Aerobic engine is also much easier to build up in a shorter period of time with intervals like HIIT.
It is to some extent, but in order to build a strong aerobic engine you have to go to a point where HIIT and intervals no longer work and put in a lot of long fast miles. I think maybe you are talking about the generalist so your point remains.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:07 PM   #37
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Trent View Post
It is to some extent, but in order to build a strong aerobic engine you have to go to a point where HIIT and intervals no longer work and put in a lot of long fast miles. I think maybe you are talking about the generalist so your point remains.
Yep, I agree.

If you're trying to run a sub 4 min mile then HIIT will take you probably about as far as a 5 min mile or so.. maybe 4:30. HIIT works more effectively (faster.. better whatever you want to call it) than high mileage for beginner and intermediate runners. As you start to delve into advanced/elite you need more specificity.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:13 PM   #38
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Armstrong started out as a triathlete and was a cross-country champ back in high school (the previous CC stud later became a pro cyclist ). He had also been training specifically, and one assumes quite seriously, for the marathon. So he did rather worse than one might have expected. Take this into consideration, too: he is skinny, but not that skinny, and top marathoners are really, really tiny people. Also, there is a much greater tactical side to road cycling than there is to road running, not to mention the much more powerful drafting effect in cycling that Lance always used to great advantage. And maybe, just maybe he didn't get as much spring out of his achilles tendons as the top finishers did.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:20 PM   #39
Aaron Trent

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. Meador View Post
Armstrong started out as a triathlete and was a cross-country champ back in high school (the previous CC stud later became a pro cyclist ). He had also been training specifically, and one assumes quite seriously, for the marathon. So he did rather worse than one might have expected. Take this into consideration, too: he is skinny, but not that skinny, and top marathoners are really, really tiny people. Also, there is a much greater tactical side to road cycling than there is to road running, not to mention the much more powerful drafting effect in cycling that Lance always used to great advantage. And maybe, just maybe he didn't get as much spring out of his achilles tendons as the top finishers did.
For his first marathon Lance didn't train for crap and he still finished in less than 3 hours. And he's 30-50 pounds heavier than most of your top marathon runners, I hear tell he's up near 180. He raced at 160lbs, mid 150s by tours end.