CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-27-2007, 04:49 PM   #1
Wade Smith

Profile:
Post Knee-Safe WODs

As the thread title implies, attached is my Word Doc list of past & present WODs (some compiled, some simply modified to avoid loading knees). I culled this list from the last couple years of archived WODs.

So, if you need to "rest" your knee(s) for a period of time, this list will keep you busy. I personally found that over my 3.5 month rehab period (yes, this is a long time), I was able to stay in shape, stay in a CF groove, and not get down about my injury keeping me from doing the WODs.

It was suggested I share my list with the CF community, so I humbly offer it for anyone who would find it helpful.

Good luck with your rehab.
--Wade Smith
Attached Files
File Type: doc wsmith_knee_safe_WODs.doc (55.0 KB, 13851 views)
Old 12-28-2007, 09:50 AM   #2
Wade Smith

Profile:
Re: Knee-Safe WODs

Addendum: The list is NOT meant to be done in numerical order. I personally tried to program my 3on-1off as close to (my understanding of) CF WOD programming as possible. Also, I tried to mix up the heavies, metcons, and endurances while keeping away from overpushing any one body part.

Warning: Since the CF program by nature has so much leg involvement, to workout for a period avoiding legwork (and focusing on upperbody) means there could be more possibility of overtraining or straining the more used upperbody parts. To avoid this, I personally programmed my actual cycles keeping one step ahead of impingements. I know everyone knows this and is duly warned; I just wanted to be helpful in the disclaimer.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:54 PM   #3
Aileen Reid

Profile:

Thanks for posting this! I will be reading it avidly. I have good days and bad with my knee, yesterday was bad. I am trying a few new things with it to try and rehab it too.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:17 PM   #4
Wade Smith

Profile:

Aileen, good luck on the rehab.

I personally found that when I was "passive" in my rehab efforts (massage, ice, ibuprofen, stretching), I wasn't fixing the problem quickly enough. After 3 months of that, I decided that the "best defense is a good offense", and found the healing came very quickly. This included doing deep squats, squat stretches, VMO band pulls, VMO strengthening through isometrics and Peterson Step-ups. I believe my knee just wanted me to actively build up the (relatively) weak muscles around it. That's just my experience; take it for what it's worth.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:19 PM   #5
Aileen Reid

Profile:

No, I agree wholeheartedly. I have great faith in my bodies ability to heal itself - eventually! Even if it takes a year or so. Its been 7 months since my arthroscopy that didn't change a damned thing and at least I can squat now, though not with much weight. So if the doctors can't sort me out I guess I have to find away.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:33 AM   #6
Robert Olajos

Profile:

Thanks, Wade!

A few days ago I was scanning a pile of old WODs looking for something to keep my right knee safe. I ended up making up the following workout:

21-15-9 for time
double unders
muscle ups
knees-to-elbows
Old 12-29-2007, 10:12 AM   #7
Wade Smith

Profile:

Robert, you're a better man than me. When my knee was starting to feel strained back in early Septmeber (tendinitis), it was the jumping that flamed it. If you can do double-unders with a sore knee, more power to ya!
Old 01-17-2008, 03:30 PM   #8
Mark Litzenberger

Profile:

Hi - I'm new to posting here, but long time lurker and had been doing xfit for about a year and a half, then i managed to get a moderate case tendonitis (i think - self diagnosed) in both knees about a week apart right before christmas . I was trying to work in more squats and big lifts to get my ME up but i guess i over did it. Then i didn't stop when my body told me to.

I just wanted to say thanks for posting this. I'd been having a hard time programming for myself and i was really starting to get frustrated. That'd spiraled into me dropping the good eating and spending too much time on the couch.

I'm about a month into this and am finally realizing that i'm just going to have to give up on lower body stuff for the most part and rest.

Thanks.

Mark
Old 01-17-2008, 04:09 PM   #9
Wade Smith

Profile:

Glad this list is helpful. I hope your knee(s) heal soon.
--Wade
Old 01-18-2008, 04:06 AM   #10
Cal Jones

Profile:

Thanks Wade - very timely as my knee is getting worse and worse! I may try the 400m row workout tonight.