CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-19-2007, 07:07 PM   #1
Nicolas Castonguay

Profile:
Constant shoulder pain when maxing

So today I did the "Shoulder Press / Push Press / Push Jerk" WOD (running late due to week off) and I had to stop at my 5th set of Push Press, and go light on Push Jerk, because my shoulders were starting to hurt a lot. I don't really remember where the pain was in the shoulder, but it was a very sharp pain that lasted from the moment I picked up the bar from the rack, to a few seconds (maybe 10-20) after I put it back on the rack. What could be causing this (form, shoulder problem, ...?), and is there any way to fix this?

I also feel the same pain when I am doing heavy volume with my shoulders... I know for sure that when I will do Fran tomorrow, my shoulders are going to hurt a lot.

My Form
Maybe I'm not holding the bar right on my upper chest. The bar is resting about one inch under the clavicle of my collar bone, and then I push it from there over my head, bring it back down to one inch under the clavicle, rinse and repeat. As for my grip, I'm pretty sure it's 90 degrees. My pinkies are about 1 inch away from the ring on a normal 45lbs bar.

Last edited by Nicolas Castonguay : 12-19-2007 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:19 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Constant shoulder pain when maxing

Where's the pain?

Shoulder is a pretty complex joint.. could be a number of reasons. Need where it hurts and what exercises it hurts on (besides shoulder presses if any).
Old 12-19-2007, 07:30 PM   #3
Nicolas Castonguay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Where's the pain?

Shoulder is a pretty complex joint.. could be a number of reasons. Need where it hurts and what exercises it hurts on (besides shoulder presses if any).
Ok well I can answer the second question right away. It hurts in three kinds of lifts. All shoulder presses mentioned, and cleans (all kind of cleans). However, it doesn't hurt when I do seated military press (either DB or BB), or any kind of shoulder raises (unless I go ridiculously heavy). The last exercise it hurts is Upright Row

Ad for where it hurts, like I said I didn't notice, but tomorrow I shall be doing Fran so I will take note and come back to you to tell you where it hurts.

And thanks for your help, I appreciate it
Old 12-19-2007, 07:32 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Initially sounds like impingement of some sort.. waiting for where it hurts to make any calls.

I would suggest checking out some of the other shoulder threads in this forum as well as many other people have had shoulder problems.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:36 AM   #5
Jamie Crichton

Profile:

I'm gonna jump in and say you won't do yourself any harm, and will almost certainly benefit most lifting-induced shoulder problems, by working various external rotation and scapula stabilisation movements.

These could include Lying DB external rotations, Rear flyes, YTWLs, Face pulls, L-Lateral raises etc. for external rotation, and Scap Pushups, Pushups on Swiss ball and Wall-Slides for Scapula stabilisation. Searching youtube or similar for these will likely find video demos.

Stretching the pecs and lats rigorously may also be of benefit; same goes for foam rolling those structures.

I always include some or all of these movements into my workouts or do them on off days to reduce the risk of impingement and all the other problems associated with a kyphotic, internally rotated posture.

If you want any more explanations of the exercises or the rationale behind them, let me know.

Thanks,

Jamie
Old 12-20-2007, 08:40 AM   #6
Allen Yeh

Profile:

From someone that has so far managed to avoid any shoulder surgeries but has had problems with a lot of overhead lifting I'd recommend you to STOP doing things that hurt you. It's ok to miss a week of workouts or 2 to figure out what's wrong with your shoulders. It is easy to push your shoulder too far too hard and end up being sidelined involuntarily.

There are plenty of things you can do in the meantime, just ask all those people that continue working out despite having different surgeries. Steven for example hurt his knee but still worked upper body stuff. A while back after finishing a heavy overhead pressing cycle stopped all upperbody work other than a shoulder rehab program + lower body work. I'm convinced that doing that was the smart move.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:35 AM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

Not that I need more upper body work, lol. But yeah, definitely try to avoid things that use the shoulder too much or put it under pain. I would really suggest avoiding it completely (besides rehab work for of course assuming it's fixable) so you don't even accidentally aggravate it or something.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:43 AM   #8
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

Hey Steven, you still need the upper body work so you can help us newbies.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:56 PM   #9
Nicolas Castonguay

Profile:

Alright thanks a lot for your feedback guys, and I guess I could try to stand clear of shoulder work for a week or two and work on the strengthening exercises that Jamie suggested.

As for where the pain is, I practice with snatches today (didn't do the WOD since I never did them before) and towards the end I was feeling the same pain again, and I'm quite sure it's at the top of my shoulder, but in the back, not the front. I think it would be behind where my clavicle ends, toward the other bone (don't know the name )
Old 12-22-2007, 02:14 PM   #10
Steven Low

Profile:

It actually sounds like it may be a scapular issue then. I would suggest reading this thread on overhead lifting/pressing that is pretty recent on PMenu (wfs) to see evaluate if you were correctly doing them:

http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...ead.php?t=1895

If this is the case, keep us posted.