CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-22-2007, 10:35 PM   #1
Paul Crush

Profile:
Right side weakness?

Recently I have noticed that my right side seems to not be not pushing and pulling up to it full potential.

It is most noticeable during bench presses. While doing "Lynne" tonight I had to use 155# instead of my normal 190# and I could barely do the 155#. It feels like the right side just wont push the weight up. My chest and triceps never really felt like they got fatigued it seems like something on my right side is weak. Also, while doing the pull ups the right side seems to lag behind even though my pull ups performance has not been suffering. Virtually all my lifts are improving including overhead presses. Any ideas while I feel a weakness while in the bench press position?

I donít really feel any pain, however I have had a numbness on occasion in my right arm lately.

Any ideas?
Old 10-23-2007, 06:01 AM   #2
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Re: Right side weakness?

Sounds like a nerve issue. Do you have any cervical disc issues in your upper spine or neck? Have you ever injured your right shoulder? (heavy OHS, handstands, dislocation, other)
Old 10-23-2007, 06:39 AM   #3
Dave Matteson

Profile:

Paul, I'd recommend doing a search on the forum for "weakness" or "numbness," and perhaps throw in "OHS" in the search string. There are a number of topics that should be very interesting to you already posted.

If you have reasonable medical insurance, it might be worth stopping in to see a sport-medicine trained orthopaedist in your area and to get an MRI to review with them. Alternately, stop in at a local Crossfit affiliate and have a trainer critique your lifting techniques. It could simply be a matter of not overflexing your shoulder in an OHS, which seems to be a very common problem around here as a compensation for poor shoulder flexibility. Do a search for Corey Duvall's explanations of shoulder dislocations, a great stretch to try out, and a lot less painful than it sounds. He knows what he's talking about.

Bottom line, numbness, especially progressive and/or long-lasting is a serious concern that needs to be addressed. Fortunately, there's usually a simple fix if caught early. Best of luck.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:37 PM   #4
Eric Burns

Profile:

Any updates on this?

Weakness and numbness does wreak of cervical issues, some impingement, possibly a mild herniation. Even if the numbness is intermittent it very well could be related to a spinal issue. Best to get it checked out, sooner rather than later, damage can become permanent. Could be as simple as a few chiropractic adjustments.

I am experiencing my 3rd cervical herniation, C5/6 and C6/7 - looking at surgery in Jan unless things progress. My issues have me sidelined from CF altogether.

Best of luck.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:54 AM   #5
Steve Lobotsky

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Burns View Post
Any updates on this?

Weakness and numbness does wreak of cervical issues, some impingement, possibly a mild herniation. Even if the numbness is intermittent it very well could be related to a spinal issue. Best to get it checked out, sooner rather than later, damage can become permanent. Could be as simple as a few chiropractic adjustments.

I am experiencing my 3rd cervical herniation, C5/6 and C6/7 - looking at surgery in Jan unless things progress. My issues have me sidelined from CF altogether.

Best of luck.
Ditto for me
C5/6 is the worst with C4/5,C6/7 just bulging. No CF for 7 weeks and I'm seeing a Neuro-surgeon for an Eval. next week.
But the same exact symptoms,weakness on left side chest,Dips,push ups.
Numbness and tingling in fingers.