CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 09-06-2007, 10:53 AM   #1
Sean Manseau

Profile:
can't calm down

i've been doing crossfit at full intensity for about a year and a half now, done my share of flopping to the floor and met pukie (once), but recently i've experienced a new post-WOD reaction: after last night's elizabeth, i had a searing, lactic-type burn in my hands and arms that wouldn't go away. for at least five and maybe closing in on ten minutes, the pain kept my heart-rate jacked as high as if i was still banging out reps. this is the second time in recent weeks it's happened to me, and, you know, it sucks. has anyone else had similar reactions, and is there anything i can do get back to a nice, normal feeling of utter exhaustion?
Old 09-07-2007, 08:08 PM   #2
Alicia Michel

Profile:
Re: can't calm down

sean, i'm not a doctor but that sounds scary. doing the WODs at a much lower intensity would be a good idea till you get a doctor's advice...
Old 09-09-2007, 03:09 PM   #3
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

I'd also like to second Alicia's recommendation. Most commonly, simple problems like dehydration or electrolyte (sodium, potassium) deficiency can cause post-exercise pain. Sometimes the statin drugs used to treat high cholesterol can do that, too.

But there are a host of rare...RARE!....conditions that can be associated with that kind of muscle pain. Ask your doctor to perform a creatine kinase test. High values mean further workup is indicated.

Let us know how you're doing, ok?

Susie (a physician)
Old 09-22-2007, 09:39 PM   #4
Nicholas Hahn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Manseau View Post
this is the second time in recent weeks it's happened to me, and, you know, it sucks. has anyone else had similar reactions, and is there anything i can do get back to a nice, normal feeling of utter exhaustion?
Three times now I've had that feeling. The first time was when I did a Tabata workout with 1 minute rest intervals between exercises. My eyes were red, my legs wouldn't stop burning, and I couldn't get up for about 15 minutes. The second time was after another leg-intensive workout. I was literally trying to massage the pain away. The third time was last week when I did Jackie. I exhibited the same symptoms as you described in my upper and forearms.

I don't really worry about it. I figure it is just more pain, more gain. Maybe you just pushed your body further than it was used to. I would say nice work, but a doctor's visit wouldn't hurt either.