CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 03-09-2005, 02:31 AM   #1
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Although long overdue, I've only managed to snap a low quality picture with my cell phone. Anyway, here it is, Alexander Karatis' own office gym!;-)
In terms of equipment I use Eleiko bars and plates, a Concept II rower, a Keppler treadmill, custom pullup station, vustom wall-ball target, custom dip station (moulded pipes on ladder handlebars!) and a lot of other peripherals. I opted for a cheap bench and squat rack and I got what I paid for. The resting positions are all out of whack;-)

I have been using this gym since September, and for the first time I've been able to transition fully into a Crossfit "program" despite a general adherence to functional exercises beforehand. The results are nothing short of amazing. Just two metrics speak for themselves:

-I got on rings for the first timein my life this September and couldn't manage more than 8 dips and those with a lot of swinging around! I never tested my max, but I have done sets of 20s and 25s pretty easily just this past month.

-I had never done a kipping pull-up before, and my strict form PUs were stagnant for many years. I could manage 15 max either way just this past September. Yesterday, I hit 30 (with Kip).
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/29/8272.jpg
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/29/8273.jpg
Old 03-09-2005, 05:26 AM   #2
Peter Galloway

Profile:

Sweet gym Alex! Congratulations on your achievements, both in gym-building and in physical terms!

Keep up the good work!
Old 03-09-2005, 07:41 AM   #3
Brian Gibson

Profile:
Awesome gym! Congrats on the accomplishments.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:49 AM   #4
Rob deFreese

Profile:

Great looking gym Alexander, and congratulations on your achievements.

Excellent use of your space! It reinforces how little room one really needs to have a great gym.

Old 03-09-2005, 11:09 AM   #5
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Good to see you back Alex, I was just wondering where you went! Cool gym, nice high ceilings!
Old 03-10-2005, 02:37 AM   #6
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Thank you guys! This gym has been a life-saver!

The things I'm considering to add in the future are:

-Glute-Ham developer (can't seem to find these)
-Squat Rack (I may dismantle the spotter rack I have now and just buy a good quality rack-will save tons of space too)
-Ropes, nets and all other sorts of weird stuff across the ceiling. The room is perfectly setup for me to get creative in this regard.
-Carted rope-I'll take a picture of the steel rod running across the ceiling where I have moulded my rings+rope support so you guys can have a better idea of what I'm talking about. I had it made so that it could take a small cart on which I could attach a rope. That should make for some pretty hairy rope climbing (Idea pulled off of Crossfit North BTW)
-Acoustic padding!!! Being a high-ceiling room my IPod+PC surround speaker setup means that I get a fair amount of echo when I blast my music. I was thinking of padding many of the walls like a recording studio although I'll have to do more research with regard to cost.

Larry, I waited and waited until I found the right space. Thank goodness for the CFJ and all the other info available here! Saved me a lot of trouble. IN the end, I found a perfect unused space in our company's warehouse, with 5.30m ceilings, rock solid concrete floors, and good neighbouring facilities. By that I mean that I was looking for a place I could go late in the evening, after work, with no people to be disturbed by the loud music and general banging around.

Although people that might be working on the third floor (I'm on ground floor)swear they can feel "tiny earthquakes" every now and then. Apparently, these phenomena seem to coincide with Oly lifting WODs:biggrin:
Old 03-10-2005, 06:04 AM   #7
Steven Nedorolik

Profile:
Are you the only one that uses the gym or are you converting others?
Old 03-10-2005, 07:53 AM   #8
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Well it's not meant to function as a business operation, so if by others you mean if friends come over the answer is a most definite "yes"...once each!:biggrin:

Seriously, those who were curious to try out "Alex's wacky workouts" were hurting so much that they got really spooked about it. In some odd was they consider activity of this intensity to be "abnormal", something you don't need to do unless you're a "gym-freak" or have anger-management programs.

It takes a certain type of person to embrace Crossfit.:wink: