CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-19-2004, 08:00 PM   #1
BRETT STORM

Profile:  
Concept II rowers seem to a popular machine used by forum members. Why is that?? What are the pros and cons of the rower over other indoor machines such as a bike, treadmill or jumping rope? I would like to increase my cardio endurance, but don't need to run, so using this machine may be a good alternative. Thanks.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:47 PM   #2
James Taft

Profile:

Brett. I just got the Concept II rower in the mail yesterday and just completed my first 5000m test about 5 minutes ago. I was hesitant to buy one because of the price, but I have worked out on one several times over at a friends house. You should check out there website and find a location near you that has competitions, practices, and stuff. You might get to test one out. I like this piece of equipment because I am a bigger guy and all the other cardio machines (bikes, treadmill, steppers) just didn't seem to push me hard enough metabolically. The included book said to only start with 5 min at first, but I figured what the hell. I completed 5020m in 23:18 (not sure if that's good or not). To answer your question about the cardio benefits I strapped on my polar heart rate monitor just to see how the rower would effect me. Towards the end I had a HR of 182 bpm with an average HR of 154 over the 23min. I know everyone's resting, target, and max HR's are different so let me compare it to a run. I can run about an 8:00/mile pace and keep my heart rate at around 160. In my opinion, I think it is very comparable to running (metabolically) and you don't get the stress and strain on your lower extrmeties (good for big guys like me). I hope this helps. I'd be more than willing to answer questions although I am no expert.

Jim

P.S. I do not represent Concept II in any way
Old 02-26-2004, 06:18 PM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

Brett: put "Concept II" and/or "Concept 2" into the CrossFit search functionality on the main page . . . there has been a LOT of discussion in past threads of exactly the (excellent) question you ask.

Dave