CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-26-2004, 03:43 PM   #1
Scott Parker

Profile:
so i am thinking about picking up some kettle bells. unfortunately i am not ablt to get to the gym as often as i would like, and think it would be a nice way to get some workouts in at home after classes, between study breaks. just need some advice...

do any of you have any recommendations on where to buy them from? any advice on what weight to get? if i start out with the lighter ones will i quicky "grow out" of them, or should i go a little bigger and possibly "grow into" them. ( i wont be able to purchase another set for sometime, since i am on a limited budget.

any advice would be appreciated!

thanks!

scott
Old 01-26-2004, 03:58 PM   #2
Scott Parker

Profile:
i actually ran across these when doing a goole search:

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/im-0310.html

i am thinking now that i may actually go with something like this instead of buying the "real thing." first, they are very economical and way more versitle. i already have about 40lbs. of plates in 2.5 & 5lb. increments at home, and when i do get in to the gym i can actually take these along with me and use them there.

saw that they will be available in mid february, but was wondering if anyone has used, or has an opinion of these - good or bad?

thanks!

scott
Old 01-26-2004, 05:26 PM   #3
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Scott,

I would recommend buying kettlebells through Dragondoor. Yes, they are expensive and the shipping is a lot, but I feel they are worth the cost. The handles on the 26# and up are much nicer than the flat topped handles I see on the picture. Dragondoor's smaller bells (18# and under) have flat and skinny handles and I don't like using them. (I have an 18# that is going to be for sale soon!). I would also wonder if the plates would be painful digging into your forearm during snatches or presses. I would also be leery of the plates flying off or somehow jamming the end of the plate holder into my shoulder during a missed attempt. Besides, I wouldn't want to try tossing and catching anything that could spear me!

I have only used Dragondoor's kettlebells so I probably am biased. But I really do like the ones I have. I started too light with the 18# bell, and the 26 is also too light for most of what I do. Depending on your size and strength, I would recommend the 36 or 52 bell. The forum on DD is active and the good folks there are happy to offer suggestions on what weight to start with.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:43 PM   #4
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
A third alternative is KBOV model kbs from PDA. I have a pair of these; more expensive than ny barbell but infinitely expandable. Rock solid and you can set up one for a warmup and one heavier (I keep one at 35 lbs and one at 55 usually) or make a set. Kelly is right that the plates probably hurt more than a ball smacking into your forehead, and they don't flip quite as well when tossing, but for the savings in shipping alone, you can buy a bunch o' plates for them. Note the models I have are shaped |__| (the upside down view) not the ones with the rectangular handle with the t-bar below). The collars you get with them are SOLID; I've swung, cleaned, snatched, tossed, and flipped these guys and never had one come loose. FWIW...
Old 01-26-2004, 05:44 PM   #5
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
err...that would be "smacking into your foreARM" not foreHEAD, since in that case I believe they would hurt about the same!
Old 01-26-2004, 06:24 PM   #6
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Check out Ironmind as well: http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/ The Kettlebell is under dumbells, if that link doesn't take you right to it. They make good equipment.

I personally bought my 72 pound kettlebell from Dragon Door--and I love it--but it hurts on those high rep swinging workouts. One thing to consider is that although snatches are fun, they don't come up hardly at all on the WOD. Most of the time we do swings, and the plate loaders should be fine for that.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:30 PM   #7
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Lynne,

I have to disagree with you on just one thing - hitting your head with the bell hurts a lot more than your forearm - trust me!
Old 01-26-2004, 06:34 PM   #8
Scott Parker

Profile:
lynne-

are the ones youhave 8" or 12" wide?

scott
Old 01-26-2004, 06:53 PM   #9
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Kelly, that's what I was trying to say...head hurts more than arm hurts. And...I'll take your word for it!

Scott, I initially got the 12" bars but followed up with an 8" set. Much better; they fit flush with no bar sticking out either side to cause additional pain.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:50 PM   #10
Ryan Hagenbuch

Profile:  
Another option is to buy the shot loaded KB's. Atomic Athletic & Detroit Barbell offer these. They're solid and by changing the amount of shot you can change the weight w/o changing the dimensions of the kettlebell.