CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 07:20 AM   #1
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Dot com versus local

I just wanted to note briefly that a change has happened invisibly which is worth mentioning: the tide has swept away from a focus on the community HERE to a focus on local communities. We have some 1,500 affililates or something, which means that virtually everyone who wants to CrossFit can do it locally. Moreover, in almost all cases they have local websites, which act to tie things together.

A conservative guess is that there are some 10,000 people doing some type of CrossFit workout daily, but there are only a few hundred people posting here, as far as I can tell. Certainly it's not 10,000.

Do with this comment what you will.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:39 AM   #2
S. Kyle Smith

Profile:
Re: Dot com versus local

you going to expand on your statement or leave it horribly vague for the rest of us to stare at and wonder what you're actually attempting to imply/infer?

Old 12-12-2009, 11:44 AM   #3
Ron Wilhelm

Profile:

I think Barry's observation is this: As the number of affiliates grows, so does the number of 'local' CrossFitters. However, these 'local' CFers don't generally hang out on the main site or this board. So the percentage of overall CFers that those properties serve is shrinking.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
Daniel Freedman

Profile:

I agree with Barry and Ron. The community is evolving.

My Toronto affiliate is one of the first 50 of 1,500 affiliates. It's just moved for the fourth time in four years to a 10,000 square foot warehouse by the waterfront. One trainer and three members have just left to start their own affiliate. And many of the members I run into at the affiliate are only dimly aware of this bulletin board, the CrossFit Journal or the CrossFit Games.

The percentage of people at my affiliate who are interested -- or even aware -- of the "family fights" that sometimes consume us online is approximately ZERO. And I suspect the owner is much too busy with expansion plans to care much.

Today, we did a "fat Tabata" version of FGB. The lying on the floor post workout discussion focused on:
- an IT guy and former cross country runner interested in making a career change to firefighting and acing the test
- another runner interested in forming a group to start CrossFit Endurance workouts

Now, that's a community. Zone vs. Paleo and who said what to whom at a seminar never came up. The three of us are far more interested in squatting deeper and getting better at Oly lifts.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:12 PM   #5
Barry Cooper

Profile:

Ron and Daniel: that's it.

There was a time when this Board WAS CrossFit. That time has passed. It could disappear tomorrow, and 90% of the people who do CrossFit would be unaffected, since their WOD's are local. The organism has evolved.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
Liam McKarry

Profile:

The demise of the mainsite/board would be a real shame for all of us out here who don't get near an affiliate either through lack of finances or not being close enough.

The other thing to consider is that a huge number of people probably read the boards or the mainsite and don't bother to contribute.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:39 AM   #7
Darrell E. White

Profile:

I find Barry's observation to be quite accurate, and Ron and Daniel's interpretation of that part of the community (Affiliate members) to be equally accurate. As a very interested member of the "cyber-gym", though, I must side with Liam and agree that it would be a shame to do anything right now that would limit folks who don't have a CF Affiliate when it comes to participating in a Crossfit community.

No matter how much drama we might have at any time here on the Board or on .com

Old 12-13-2009, 01:35 PM   #8
Craig Massey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Cooper View Post
Ron and Daniel: that's it.

There was a time when this Board WAS CrossFit. That time has passed. It could disappear tomorrow, and 90% of the people who do CrossFit would be unaffected, since their WOD's are local. The organism has evolved.
Yes.
I've made almost exactly this comment in several of the threads debating the latest storm in a teacup where people stated that "the community" has demanded or decided or stated this that or the other.

"The Community" is now the affiliates, not this message board.

When someone talks about "The Community" here they're talking about a few hundred active people. There are more fee paying affiliates than that now, let alone people doing CrossFit at the affiliates. This board largely serves the CrossFitter training alone at home on in a non-CrossFit gym. Which is me BTW. And we don't pay a cent for the privilege.

For any of us to think that our opinion is more important than people who have forked out hard earned money to open an affiliate or to train at one is unbelievably arrogant. Yet still the moderators have to shut down people who think that they have some right to demand attention and the arrogance to ignore requests to moderate their behaviour.

Out time has passed.

We matter, but we're not the mainstays of CrossFit any more. We're just a drop in the pond these days people and the pond is getting bigger. Fast!

Get used to it.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:38 PM   #9
Craig Massey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam McKarry View Post
The demise of the mainsite/board would be a real shame for all of us out here who don't get near an affiliate either through lack of finances or not being close enough.

The other thing to consider is that a huge number of people probably read the boards or the mainsite and don't bother to contribute.
Also true.
Which is why we owe it to those people to make this board a place where they can find instruction, support and feedback.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:02 PM   #10
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Massey View Post
Also true.
Which is why we owe it to those people to make this board a place where they can find instruction, support and feedback.
Aye...that!

Closed Thread