CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-15-2009, 01:25 PM   #31
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Is Crossfit Mainpage dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Thomas Boss View Post
As the principles of CF propogate with each sold-out Level 1 certication, I think the relevancy of the CF Mainpage will diminish proportionally. How can I say such a dastardly thing? Because, although there are over 1,500 affiliates and 30,000 CF Journal subscribers, the number of posted daily WOD times "as RXed" on the Mainpage have stagnated. When you subtract the "Whee!"-type postings, there are far less than 500 on a WOD day. The posted WODs are for elite CF athletes, but the biggest slice by far of revenue generated by HQ CF and affiliates are by everyday people who can't even come close to doing an RXed WOD. Despite the great efforts by Brand X to provide scaled WODs, how many people have access to the equipment required to do those? Not many at all.
The number of as Rx'd postings on the mainpage's comments isn't an accurate barometer for how many people are doing the WODs as Rx'd. At CFSD, we follow mainsite programming. We've got roughly 100 paying members, about 50 of whom are in the gym for the WOD on any given day. I'm only aware of one CFSD member aside from myself who posts results on the mainsite, and even that is on a very infrequent basis. I'm guessing that's the case for other affiliates too.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:58 PM   #32
Philip Menagh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
The number of as Rx'd postings on the mainpage's comments isn't an accurate barometer for how many people are doing the WODs as Rx'd. At CFSD, we follow mainsite programming. We've got roughly 100 paying members, about 50 of whom are in the gym for the WOD on any given day. I'm only aware of one CFSD member aside from myself who posts results on the mainsite, and even that is on a very infrequent basis. I'm guessing that's the case for other affiliates too.
+1 to that. Our affiliate followed mainsite exactly (besides a few special event wods) for the past 14 months. I don't think any of our athletes post to comments on .com because they post their results to our own forum.

Seems like many affiliates have their own forums where their members post their times/comments for easier recall later.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:23 PM   #33
Jason W Wood

Profile:

Just because the mainsite wods don't have many comments, doesn't mean people don't follow them. Don't forget about the thousands of people living in rural areas without an affiliate in sight waiting for the next wod to be posted, waiting to put a new sweat angel in their barn or garage, blood on the bar, and having to explain to neighbors what burpees are, or why there's ratchet straps running through pvc on backyard trees. There are hordes of us who don't post. Don't forget.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:15 PM   #34
Jake Oleander

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post
I think the word you were going for was "precisely". I mean how much clearer could I be...
no, it was precious adorable and clear
Old 11-15-2009, 08:05 PM   #35
Clay Jones

Profile:

Anyone that can follow the WOD, day in and day out is legit, in my oponion.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:06 PM   #36
Barry Cooper

Profile:

Oi, isn't that next WOD interesting to all of us? If you've done enough of them, you can look at it, take a quick inhalation, and guess your time. Right?

I think a lot of people look at that, and base their WOD's on it. Me, I didn't deviate for something like two years. You learn to do workouts that frankly make no sense for you, if you're little and weak, or fat and strong. I'm the latter.

Carry on, I say. Tweak when needed, but the components are there both for the creation of athletic eliteness, and for burnout, if people are other than intelligent.

The WOD is like doing shots. It's for the serious people, and as posted cannot be kept up forever. That's the intent.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:55 PM   #37
Stephen Flamm

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
We're in the same boat, and we have some monsters putting up elite numbers - our gym has seen a 30 minute "Murph" with vest, 19 round "Nate", bodyweight snatches, sub-4 30 muscle-ups, multiple 1000+ CFTs, 300+ "Lynne", 12:00 CTB "Angie", 18:00 "Filthy 50", two sub-15:30 "Michael"s, etc. Half of our females are pulling 200 lbs., including one with a 280 pull and a 225 squat at a bodyweight of 140. All but a handful of our females can perform pull-ups with ease. All of these accomplishments have been performed with strict ROM standards, and all of these have been the result of hard work and main site programming by athletes with varying natural skills/abilities.

None of these have been posted in the comments section on the daily WOD.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:33 AM   #38
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Man, I always wondered what an elite time for Filthy Fifty was.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:38 AM   #39
Jeff Martin

Profile:

Don't post on the boards much but wanted to say CrossFit Brand X has been following the mainsite WOD's as well.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:31 AM   #40
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Jones View Post
Anyone that can follow the WOD, day in and day out is legit, in my oponion.
This is exactly what I was going to say...

Mainsite WODs crush the average athlete quickly and the elite athlete eventually...Unless I'm eating very well and getting enough sleep I always find myself wrecked when I'm strictly following mainsite...

I think that may have more to do with the people using SS than anything else...Like someone else said you have to be pretty strong to keep up (at least on an "as rx'd" level).

Review the previous 3-day cycle:

1) Heavy Cln & J
2) Eva
3) 5 rounds 15 reps each of: 95# push jerk & L Pull-ups

That's just brutal if you do it right.