CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #81
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:
Re: Trade Your Back for Elite Fitness?

I'm willing to bet that a lot of the people touting how much emphasis they put on form would be surprised to see a video of themselves doing a wod like that.

Sometimes doing it and video taping is the best way to figure out what to do better next time. Sometimes you can feel your form going to crap...but sometimes you can't.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:25 PM   #82
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

Its funny this thread came up as T-nation seems to rag on Crossfit because some use "non textbook" form. Like any activity, bad bio mechanics leads to problems later as is.

However, we are all designed differently. Form should be close to textbook as possible, long as one is not willing to sacrifice their body to boost their ego on a workout or a #.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:49 PM   #83
Barry Cooper

Profile:

Aaron,

I want to make sure I understand you: you want to argue here that Coach's stated opinion--and reasons for that opinion--are wrong, and that you know better?

And that Glory's performance was unacceptable for that reason?

That is the self evident, ineluctable conclusion, but I would nonetheless appreciate you saying it, just so we are all clear.

Alex,

I am repeating Coach's argument. What part of it are you failing to grasp? Form is a means to an end. The only sports where form is an end use judges to assign numerical values to performances. This would include gymnastics, diving, and synchronized swimming.

In this case, the task was to take a weighted barbell from the ground to overhead a certain number of times as fast as possible. No matter how you do it, physically moving a fixed weight barbell from one position to another takes the same amount of work. If you do it faster, you achieve higher power output.

Again, what is complex about this? Am I not being clear?

Why should I listen to you? Why does your opinion matter? I have already conceded more than one opinion is possible. For reasons of their own, people voluntarily visit T-Nation. I don't understand it, but I don't lose any sleep over it.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:55 PM   #84
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Bond View Post
Personally, I agree with Coach that "the magic is in the movements". What happened to that, what happened to virtuosity? What if one could do more power output doing half-squats than full squats? If you could do more reps and more load, enough to cancel out the shorter ROM, in the same time. I would say that would be bad, half-squats are always bad. If the only thing you cared about was work done and power output, you would like that. What about if we could produce more power output doing leg presses than squats? The magic is in the movements.
Well the useful application of force is also in the definition, so I don't think Barry was going THAT far. Like Coach said, it might be just as much Work/time to have a seizure as it is to do 20 kettlebell swings...but the useful application of force is the difference...so of course utilizing full ROM, functional movements is a good thing.

As far as being a "true hater" for sticking up for my girl...GLADLY!

Old 11-04-2009, 01:57 PM   #85
Camille Lore

Profile:  

And we've come to the conclusion...

Closed Thread