CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 06:53 PM   #71
John Alston

Profile:
Re: Charles Poliquin on CrossFit again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Cooper View Post
Vladimir Zatsiorsky is someone I respect, and he says that you can increase maximal maximorum strength through the Repetitive Effort method, as well as Maximal strength training.
What's awesome about that line is that no effort at all is made to tie it into the greater argument or that specific post. Name check!

Old 11-03-2009, 06:55 PM   #72
John Alston

Profile:

Quote:
Ok. So what do we know?

John mentioned the Injury thread in support of his contention that CrossFit causes injuries. When it was pointed out to him some 70,000 WOD's are done weekly, he decided it didn't matter.

After a couple posts, he hits the reset button, and asks me for empirical evidence that CrossFit DOESN'T cause a lot of injuries. Why the hell do I need to provide it to you? I don't give a rat's *** what you believe.

If there were really such a problem, as you mention the rates of comments on Injuries would be through the roof, and most people would, very simply, stop doing CrossFit. Since we continue to sell out 2-3 Certifications every weekend, quite obviously the MARKET has determined what we offer has substantial value. That has apparently not happened with Charles Poliquin.

Again, for the record, I DON'T CARE WHAT HE THINKS. If I wanted his opinion, I would ask him.

Vladimir Zatsiorsky is someone I respect, and he says that you can increase maximal maximorum strength through the Repetitive Effort method, as well as Maximal strength training.

You keep asking me to prove something I don't have to prove, and you keep refusing to make even a rudimentary effort to document the frankly insulting and inflammatory claim that CrossFit's main coaches and trainers are hiding massive quantities of injuries.

What makes you think it's acceptable to call people liars here, and refuse to man up and provide even a shred of evidence? It's all on you, son. I don't need to back up a damn thing, since my own experience, and that of 99% of the readers here is in full congruence with the position that what injuries we have are due to going too hard too long, and are fully preventable by not being a hard charging type A personality.
Also, did you just make up the studies or were you joking about their existence?

Old 11-03-2009, 08:09 PM   #73
Don Reynolds

Profile:

Quote:
BTW, Don: nice cherry-picking. I have made my points clearly. If you lack the attention span to read the thread, or the intellectual capacity to understand them, then you apparently have company.
I did but didn't care to go line by line to refute all your points, but since you seem to want some to chew over between posts:

-why start off trolling then call others out for trolling. If you're half as smart as you think you are, then lead by example and elevate posts to a higher level.

-you said in post #26: "I read the article. I've read it before, and others like it. Frankly, I love arguing, and like to treat it as a full contact sport, but am restricted in my options here, so we'll keep it neat and clean."

But then go on to say such things as: "Poliquin, like his many non-clever contemporaries...", "Nothing in his experience, reading, or intellectual life has prepared him for that. Quite literally, no one prior to Coach, of whom I'm aware, has created a carefully defined, procedurally well implemented 'sport of fitness'. (oh puh-lease), and "who presumably suffers from perenial priapism, and pea sized testicles..."

-in that same post, you said: "On this website, we are providing free content that is better than anything else out there." Prove it, for in post #40 "The onus is on him to prove his claim..."

-post #27, you say: "First off, I would like to point out that large numbers of our best soldiers use CrossFit because IT WORKS. Pointing this out is not wrapping myself in the flag."

well, perhaps not, but "We are training SOLDIERS who are fighting for our nation, LEO's who risk life and limb protecting us, firefighters, and people who just want to live better and longer." starts to reek of it. A touch of demogoguery?

-post #33 where you state: "This Poliquin is obviously intoxicated with what he views as his intellectual gifts..." At least I appreciate the irony of your statement.

-Also in the same post: "There is NO program--repeat, NO program--which is weighted as heavily as CrossFit towards doing the basic functional movements correctly" #40.

-ok, here's an actual serious question. You say in #50 "But we do it. Charles Poliquin, Greyskull, and anybody else who thinks they can do a better job of preparing people for any task that might be thrown at them are more than welcome to send athletes to the CrossFit Games. Coach, I'm sure, is not opposed to other protocols competing. He just doesn't expect it, because they will get their butts kicked. Badly."

Well sure, crossfitters are good at the crossfit games; it's a more specialized environment that they are training for. It's sort of like saying those who are the best on the ninja warrior course are the most fit people which very well may be true since ninjas rule all. Minus those I'd put my money on the gymnast elite as being

"The CrossFit elite are unique. There is no other group out there than do as many things well simultaneously as they can."

I'd pick the a gymnasts any day over a crossfitter. But opinions and all that.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:19 PM   #74
Camille Lore

Profile:  

This has just unfortunately degraded into arguing and personal attacks. Thread closed.

Closed Thread