CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-18-2003, 09:00 AM   #1
TJ Cooper

Profile:  
I have noticed within the past 8-10 days a significant decrease in my desire to eat or drink. Now, understanding that we need to "drink before we get thirsty" is the correct agenda and I do follow it, I am curious to know if there is some physiological reason for this ? As for the eating, well thats another tale. I am nursing an injury, but I have been able to stay the course on these two agenda till now. Looking for some different views.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:10 AM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Tj- in a healthy active person our apetite closely mirrors our energy expenditre. if you have taken a bit of a layoff it makes sense that you will be a bit less hungry. Over time however inactivity results in "feeding pen syndrome". constantly hungry and no exercise...this is america today! Throw a high carb diet into that mix....yeesh!
Robb
Old 02-18-2003, 03:14 PM   #3
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Rob, I've had an idea recently that I would also throw into that mix, posture. Most people these days seem to have really poor posture. I can't claim to understand the neurophysiology of it all, but your feeling of "energy" seems to directly correlate to your posture. People that sit in a chair all day tend to have more of a stooped posture, lower energy levels, higher rates of depression, etc. This might explain why third world countries generally have lower levels of depression, although there are many other factors as well.
Perhaps someone with some experience in Chinese medicine would be able to explain this more intuitively.
All I know is that if I try and study in my bed, lying down, I fall asleep without fail. Unless of course I'm actually trying to fall asleep:-)
What do you guys think? If we tossed some of the carbs and worked to improve our posture, would this result in some changes away from "modern day syndrome" or Syndrome X as some call it?
Old 02-18-2003, 05:20 PM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Devany has always made a point of being on ones feet as much as possible. The little chinese med i know posture is pretty key for digestion and other goodies. Sitting in a full squat position like most of the world does has quite a few health benefits. For many years gastrointerologists have lamented the poor design of the illio-cecal valve (I think this is the right structure...ill check) because it does not completely close off and seperate the contents of the latge and small intestines...particularly while defacating...while seated. When one is in a full squat things work just fine and it is much less traumatic to the GI tract to simply crap! Childbirth (surprise) is also easier in this position than reclined. I will try to find the refrence for the above article...it was a letter to JAMA from a doctor from china...pulling all of this from memory!
Robb
Old 02-23-2003, 06:48 AM   #5
Coach

Profile:

Tyler, Robb,

I've long looked, and not found, someone who is remarkable in their leanness, athletic musculature, and flexibility who has other than good posture.

TJ,

Have you limited your food options during this same period. Often when an athlete decided to avoid high GI foods they go through a phase where nothing seems appealing that won't take their blood sugar through the roof. This is in fact how a diet like Atkins that allows all the food you want (not any - all) ends up being calorically restricted.