CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-27-2003, 04:54 PM   #1
Matt Midcap

Profile:

A friend of mine has been taking "Myo-Blast CSP3" for about 5 months. He also started working out about 6 months ago and has been doing regular weight lifting, and running. No Crossfit yet but I'm working on him. He tried it once and almost puked! :lol:

Anyway, I don't do suppliments as I can't tell if they are just snake oil and voodoo or not. Now, my friend has made some really nice gains. From 170lbs. bench to 225lbs. 1.5 mile run was 13.37mins. now it's 11:25. He has been working hard and eating "ok" to "poorly". He has mostly increased his protein intake and is trying to decrease crap food with some success. He is also eating protein power and bars to suppliment.

I have been doing Crossfit for about 2 months. Although I'm not all that worried about my bench I do want to maximize my workouts. Would something like this Myo-Blast help? Do you think it helped him?

I have seen all kinds of articals, both good and bad about the stuff - what do the experts here think?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 02-28-2003, 01:18 PM   #2
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
I understand your curiosity... and I admit, when I read an article (peer reviewed journal article) characterizing the myostatin gene, images of muscle bound lab mice did make me chuckle.

I think the gene for myostatin was only recently described in the late 90's. I believe that null-mice and cattle with a mutated form of the gene exhibit skeletal muscle hyperplasia and hypertrophy. The second you mention something that results in skeletal muscle hyperplasia and hypertrophy, the muscle building community gets real pumped.

Discoveries of this nature are exciting when looked at as possible future areas of research on related diseases (for example, those that involve muscle degeneration in this case). However, I personally would not be so quick to jump on the bandwagon.

Of course, the supplement companies will disagree. They will likely have an army of scientists-for-hire reading every available journal article they can find... highlighting only the best sentences, and presenting the data in a context that is conducive to selling their product.

In my opinion, the best "supplement" for building useful muscle is something called Crossfit. I suggest taking one a day, for a few days in a row, followed by a rest day or two. I've packed on just about as much that will fit on my frame, without popping pills and taking supplements that have gone through little, if any, safety screening.

Brad
Old 03-02-2003, 08:47 AM   #3
Matt Midcap

Profile:

Thanks for your helpful insite on this. I have agree with what you said about the crossfit "supplement". My body is loving it and things are going great without popping pills.

Now lets see, since I will save $80.00 a month by not buying that Myoblast I guess that I can apply that money for some new kettlebells! I like the way this is working out.

Matt
Old 03-02-2003, 11:26 AM   #4
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Matt,

In retrospect... I hope I didn't sound like I was bashing all supplements. I know there are several reputable companies and products out there, it's just becoming more difficult to tell the **** from the silver. If you're interested in their supplements, I suggest contacting them and seeing what kind of "vibe" you get. I don't know anything about their product or the company, but I am interested in what they claim to be their product's mechanism of action. That is, I wonder what research they have behind their product?

Old 03-06-2003, 12:57 AM   #5
Matt Midcap

Profile:

Brad,

I agree with you. The way I approach supplements is slow and mythodical. Wait to see what actually does work for others and then try them.

The company that makes Myo-Blast makes some spectacular claims. Then there are the nay sayers that say you're waisting your $$$. Quite a bit of stuff on the internet about it - both good and bad. I think I'll wait and see with this one.
Matt
Old 03-06-2003, 12:59 AM   #6
Matt Midcap

Profile:

Brad,

I agree with you. The way I approach supplements is slow and mythodical. Wait to see what actually does work for others and then try them.

The company that makes Myo-Blast makes some spectacular claims. Then there are the nay sayers that say you're waisting your $$$. Quite a bit of stuff on the internet about it - both good and bad. I think I'll wait and see with this one.
Matt