CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 12-01-2008, 09:43 AM   #31
Brian Lawyer

Profile:
Re: CrossFit Total

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher G. Woods View Post
You'll actually progress faster if you do 1 rep lifts incorporated into a properly structured program. A system that works very well with my clients uses employs rep counts of 5, 3 and 1. The first week I have the client do a move, we'll use deadlifts as an example, I have them do 5 sets of 5. The next time we do deadlifts, I have them do 5 sets of 3, working up to a weight that's 10% higher than the previous effort. Next time we do 5 sets of 1, again increasing the weight by 10%. Now, I take that 1 rep max and start working back in the other direction, trying to hit that weight for three reps and then for five. After that, we start back in the other direction, decreasing the reps while ratcheting up the weight. My success rate with this system is almost 100%, with clients rarely, if ever, failing to get the goaled weight and reps.
I have reconsidered my formerly misguided beliefs. I have plateaued at the 3 or 4 sets times 3 - 5 reps for squats. I plan to do a 1 rep max workout at the end of this week for squats.