CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 07-30-2008, 05:23 AM   #21
Ken Roberts

Profile:
Re: Brown recluse bite?

I used to teach First Aid for the military recruits, and a Brown Recluse was one the spiders we'd mention. A brown recluse's bite can make a nasty wound, as you've all ready seen, however the wound can come back and resurface annually. There have also been cases of bites that don't cause damage until many months after the original bite. I would definitely do some more reading about it, as it is something to take very serious. The spiders don't get any bigger than a quarter, but they are deadily.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:33 PM   #22
Jeff Evans

Profile:

Holy cow, I did not realize this thread had carried on so long after my arm fell off and I was unable to type replies. Now I am dictating one (finally) 2 months later.

All joking aside it was fine. There was no necrosis. The only reason I even suspected it was a brown recluse bite in the first place was because I had been in a cabin known to be infested, and the initial mark looked very similar to what I had seen when I had a definite bite 4 years ago which did later necrotize fairly substantially.

And I sincerely appreciate everyone's concern, but lest you think I'm an anti-doctor, anti-technology, anti-science, sunlight-cures-everything type of guy, my doc here did take a look at the bite a day or two after my original post and gave me a clean bill of health (at least with regard to arachnoid induced tissue destruction).

Finally, let me assure you that my casual little post to our wonderful community here was a far more sensible one than my reaction to the bite 4 years ago, in which I spent about 3 hours in the middle of the night Googling for pictures of our violin-backed friend and comparing them with the poor crushed thing sitting in my palm.

Last edited by Jeff Evans : 09-30-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:41 AM   #23
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Lol. Wow. So what did your doctor think it was? Just a general spider bite?
My brother got bitten by some unknown thing and would up running a high fever and was hospitalized a few days. I'm curious to see if there are other spiders that bite and can make you sick, besides the brown recluse and black widow.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:45 AM   #24
William McDaniel

Profile:

See your doctor just in case. Many times people think they have brown recluse bites and instead it is MRSA. MRSA is less painful than a spider bite but in the long run can lead to much bigger problems. Get it checked!
Old 10-08-2008, 11:00 PM   #25
Frank E Morel

Profile:

dude.. the guy was bite back in july.