CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:30 AM   #1
Aaron Graham

Profile:
Hi

Im trying to organise another affliate here in Scotland, the space i have is only small about 200 sq.ft, so i can only train a few guys there.

Close to me is a police college where i believe the whole of central scotland police force is trained.

I would like to introduce CrossFit to them and i was planning on writing a letter however im not the best at letter writing and i can talk about CrossFit but trying to organise it into a letter is proving difficult.

I was going along the whole "Constantly varied if not randomized functional movments executed at relative high intensitys0l line but i found myself droning on.

How do i capture someones interst, explain the benefits of CrossFit and encourage someone to try it all in a letter so it has to be brief?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Aaron
Old 12-27-2006, 02:47 PM   #2
Lara Lewis

Profile:
Is it possible for you to get a face to face meeting with whoever (whomever?) is in charge? I know I'm a lot better expressing myself face to face with someone than through a letter (or through posting on a forum like this!). I would use the letter like a cover letter for a job interview, where the idea here is to give them a brief intro to Crossfit and wet their appetite for more information. Then, follow up with a phone call and make an appointment to see them in person.

In the letter I would emphasize the applicability to police work. You could probably take the first two paragraphs from the "What is Crossfit" page and put them in there almost word for word. You might want to explain that the program includes elements from gymnastics, weightlifting, and interval training, but you probably don't want to go too deep into the specifics in the letter.

Then, when you go to see them in person, decide on a few key points you want to make and practice talking about those. Anticipate their questions and concerns (Does it require a lot of new equipment? Aren't those lifts dangerous?, etc.) and be prepared to answer them. Maybe have a video or two ready to show them, especially if you can get ones of other police academies or police departments doing Crossfit.

Hope that helps you.

Lara
Old 12-27-2006, 08:14 PM   #3
Jerry Mobbs

Profile:
Aaron

Its a small world mate

Here I am in sunny Muscat reading a post from someone I've never met in Scotland....

Anyway, it just so happens a mate of mine used to work there. He's now a 'guv' down in Ayr and pretty fit.

Give me your mobile number, I'll give you a call and try to work out an introduction.

Most of the plod I know hate paperwork, and won't read aything thats not official or a takeaway menu, so your letter will probably end up in the bin. Face to face is best.

Jerry
Old 12-28-2006, 02:43 AM   #4
Aaron Graham

Profile:
Thanks guys

Jerry i will p'm you mate.

Aaron
Old 12-28-2006, 04:23 PM   #5
Mark Miller

Profile:
Aaron and Jerry help us out here with the following word PLOD?
Thanks
Old 12-29-2006, 07:03 AM   #6
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Aaron, best of success to you in this.
I was contacted by a local law enforcement agency to put a CrossFit program in place for them a couple of months ago.
Once I established communication with their contact person, things started to move ahead (but very slowly).
As with any agency, their administrative processes take time.
They have kept me informed as this takes place.
Overall it's taking about 4 or 5 months so far.
Don't know how fast it will move through the administrative levels in Scotland, but be patient, once your foot is in the door you've probably got it nailed down.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:01 AM   #7
Jerry Mobbs

Profile:
Mark

The term plod is a nickname we have for the police in the uk. I think 'plod' comes from 'plodding along', as in walking around slowly, or just being rather slow in life.

It's not meant to be derogatory, its more in line with calling a phsychiatrist a 'trick cyclist'.

Years ago, our police used to walk round town on their feet, with nothing more than a lump of english oak and a large dose of common sense to keep the queens peace.

Ah, the good ole days!

Old 12-29-2006, 10:51 AM   #8
Mark Miller

Profile:
Jerry I did not think it was deragatory. I like to unique words to use with other officers on my department. So now I have a new one. Thanks. We are police officers but yet still use the title COP. Go figure. Correct me if I am wrong but when I was in the UK in 2003 the police officers were still plodding along in most of the cities that I visited without firearms. Is this still the case?
Old 01-02-2007, 12:30 PM   #9
Richard Paul Ham-Williams

Profile:
Hey Mark,

Yup the only place you will see any huge firearms presence is in certain areas of london since 7/7 really and they seem to carry pretty big guns!

I was in Germany a few weeks ago and saw plenty of seriously armoured police walking around with all sorts of goodies hidden around their huge armour - was pretty cool to see and much more reassuring than your average Britsh officer.

Having said that, british police are ok:-)

Off topic but thought I would share:-)