CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-10-2015, 06:19 PM   #1
Jeffbmitchell

Profile:
home gym/ half cage

Hey guys I've been looking to start working out cuz I'm obese and need to change. I like some of the workouts that crossfit use. I want to workout in my garage because of my 2 kids 2 year old and 4 year old so easier to do it here lol. My question is I'm thinking of getting a home gym all in one system which isn't really all about crossfit or getting a half cage or something. Can you,guys please give me some advice on which will be better for me. I have a dumbbell bench and free weights and a crossfit Olympic bar. I can't afford all the rubber plates. Please help in any way you can. Thanks
Old 12-11-2015, 08:42 AM   #2
Cooper Mitchell

Profile:
Re: home gym/ half cage

DO NOT GET A MULTI USE GYM. You will be so much better off with proper barbell training/CrossFit.

Get a squat rack, if you don't want to spend a lot, you can check craigslist, or even build your own. If you want to buy new, check out Rogue for the absolute best quality, or Fringe Sport for the best value option.

Go back to some of the early CrossFit Journal's and start reading and learning. Watch YouTube videos to learn proper form and technique if you don't want to join a gym and have somebody coach you.

You don't need a lot of equipment to become fit, just a lot of mental fortitude.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:56 PM   #3
Mike Carter

Profile:

You can do A LOT with just a squat rack. I have the S2 form Rogue and can get great complete workouts. If you are not "dropping" the weights, iron weights are great. In regards to equipment, you can look at several companies. All are represented well on this board. I have dealt with all 3 and find their equipment to be top notch and customer service is great as well.

Rogue Fitness
Fringe Sports
GetRxd

You can also get some great stuff on craigslist or even on this site.

With the rack mentioned above, I have spotter arms (I lift alone), a pull up bar (great for TRX or similar), and a dip attachment.

A great web site (WFS) that has some great programs as well as sound advice is strongswiftdurable.com Rob is redoing the site now (still works). It has great programs to follow, but does charge a monthly fee, but it gives to access to over 40 programs to follow. You can email direct and always get an answer in reply.

The best think you are doing is what you are doing. Working out. best of luck!

Too add, Cooper above does great reviews on equipment. I have used several to purchase gear. Thanks!
Old 12-11-2015, 08:54 PM   #4
David Meverden

Profile:

If you want a specific recommendation, the following would be a great choice: not too expensive, very space efficient, and versatile.

http://www.roguefitness.com/sml-2-ro...te-squat-stand

This would let you bench press and squat safely with the rails, you can do pullups or hang rings/handles from it for things like ring rows (though it's not bolted down). If you have more room and a bit more money you can spring for a full cage. This is the one I have and I love it:

http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-r-3-power-rack

Incredibly tough (it can handle more weight than I'll ever use), sturdy, and versatile. Because it's bolted down I can use it as an anchor point for exercises that pull horizontally (like rowing exercises with a band) or weird mobility stuff where I'm getting strapped up with heavy bands. Rogue makes fantastic products for a reasonable price.

As said above, do NOT get one of those multi-station things with the quad extension and pec deck. You will do a LOT more for your health to get some weight, learn to squat, deadlift, bench, and press and do those regularly.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:08 PM   #5
Cooper Mitchell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Carter View Post
You can do A LOT with just a squat rack. I have the S2 form Rogue and can get great complete workouts. If you are not "dropping" the weights, iron weights are great. In regards to equipment, you can look at several companies. All are represented well on this board. I have dealt with all 3 and find their equipment to be top notch and customer service is great as well.

Rogue Fitness
Fringe Sports
GetRxd

You can also get some great stuff on craigslist or even on this site.

With the rack mentioned above, I have spotter arms (I lift alone), a pull up bar (great for TRX or similar), and a dip attachment.

A great web site (WFS) that has some great programs as well as sound advice is strongswiftdurable.com Rob is redoing the site now (still works). It has great programs to follow, but does charge a monthly fee, but it gives to access to over 40 programs to follow. You can email direct and always get an answer in reply.

The best think you are doing is what you are doing. Working out. best of luck!

Too add, Cooper above does great reviews on equipment. I have used several to purchase gear. Thanks!
Thank you for the compliments Mike, they are appreciated!
Old 12-14-2015, 06:37 AM   #6
Anthony Giurato

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
As said above, do NOT get one of those multi-station things with the quad extension and pec deck. You will do a LOT more for your health to get some weight, learn to squat, deadlift, bench, and press and do those regularly.
This. If you are going to get bumper plates, then you simply need a squat stand (two uprights with something to put the bar on). If not, get something with spotter arms. From there just do the big lifts like David said.