CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #21
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Re: Question for box owners...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Korth View Post
Did anyone open a box or know of someone who did that went into it with the mindset of "Build it and they will come?" Meaning, you opened your box with no existing members, no expansion or anything, just started from scratch?

Just curious if there are any success stories?
I moved to a new town, Sedona AZ, in 2005 and opened up an affiliate. Crossfit is much different now but I would still not recommend doing that.

The lack of contacts and knowledge of the locals was a problem. Had I known the town better I would not have opened an affiliate there. I moved away after a couple of years. My girlfriend at the time was a local business owner, a Nat'l Masters weightlifting champion, had her L1 cert, group-ex training experience, and was actively looking for another business. She had no interest in taking over the affiliate at no cost when I left, even though she had the equipment and a space to train people. She started a wine tasting store from scratch instead, at significant cost and knowing little-to-nothing about selling wine. She also purchased an art gallery, again at great cost and with little experience in that field. That should give you some idea of her opinion of the money-making potential for a Crossfit in that town. There is no affiliate in Sedona to this day.