CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 07-31-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
Blaise Davis

Profile:
Percentage Strength Program

After my rest this week and competition this weekend I want to start a new strength program....

Im looking for a percentage type program that would go off 1RM for snatch, clean, jerk, overhead squat, etc......I would be doing metcons and other things along with it so it does not need to be a 3 hour a day program or anything

is there a chart out there already built for this.. for example

8 @ 65%, 6 @ 75%, 4 @ 85%, 4 @ 90% <---- just an example
5 @ 70%, 4 @ 80%, 3 @ 85%, 3 @ 90% <---- I pulled out of my butt

I just don't know how or don't understand how to build the rep and percentage scheme into an efficient strength program

like I said is there a book or chart out there for this?
Old 07-31-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: Percentage Strength Program

Don't build your own, use something already devised.

Wendler 5-3-1 is built on percentages if that is really what you're interested in.

I don't know how strong you are now, but a simple linear progression might still be effective if you haven't gone through that. GSLP is good.

There's a difference between a strength program and a weightlifting program. Since weightlifting is usually missed on technique and not straight up "not being strong enough," you can go to max far more often. At my weightlifting team we train to "daily maxes" 3 days a week with a 3-strike rule so you're not banging your head against a wall.

That said, it's really kind of pointless to try to mash everything together - a strength program, weightlifting program and conditioning program all at once will equal sub-par improvement over all of them.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
Blaise Davis

Profile:

Awesome thanks....I get what you mean but I would never fully cut out metcons maybe just short 21-15-9 ish wods for my second workout and some light cardio
squat snatch-185
squat clean-255
front squat-300
back squat-360
jerk- 225
overhead squat- 205
deadlift- 435
push press - 185
bench press - 240

I was really wanting to do
Something like this

Day 1 - snatch, clean
Day 2 - jerk, overhead press
Day 3 - overhad squat, front squat
Day 4 - dead lift, bench press

overreaching?

Last edited by Blaise Davis : 07-31-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
Jeff Enge

Profile:

I think you ought to narrow it down a little, for CF competition you want to be a jack of all trades, but training for one thing at a time is still the best way to get there.

If you want to focus on strength, don't worry about maxing the weightlifting (snatch, c&j) for a little while and focus on front/back squats, deads, bench and press. Weightlifting can be done before the big lifts and not for max effort.

If you want to focus on weightlifting, you'll need to go heavy on the lifts more than once a week, probably at least twice a week to a daily max single for each lift (one day snatch, one day clean with rack jerks, one day both or something like that), an auxiliary exercise (hang, blocks, pulls) and then some form of squats and possibly presses if you're up to it.

MetCons are fine during this time, but if you are really serious about getting stronger or more proficient with weightlifting, you should really drop them to somewhere more like 3 a week.

Of course, depending on your life outside of exercise (job, recovery time, sleep, etc) you may be able to thrive with more. I just know the average bear has obligations outside of the gym that sap from recovery time
Old 07-31-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
Blaise Davis

Profile:

thank you much exactly what I needed to hear and great information....know of any other template programs
Old 07-31-2013, 09:34 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

You could use something like 531 for Strength but I would not use it for the Olympic Lifts. OHS, FS, BP, DL sure.

A lack of BS.

1 day of Snatches and Cleans. Meh.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:49 AM   #7
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise Davis View Post
thank you much exactly what I needed to hear and great information....know of any other template programs
5-3-1 and GSLP are probably the best complete templates for strength that are amenable to decent amounts of conditioning. There are other good strength programs (Texas Method, Madcow, Smolov, et al) but they are either not compatable with a lot of extracurricular stuff, or are very open to your own interpretation and don't deal with set numbers/percentages.

Most weightlifting-centric programs are comprehensive, that is they should be your whole program because you're going to need the rest. Catalyst and Burgener have some good ones. Of course Outlaw Way is comprehensive, and they now have an Outlaw Barbell program, though that one is a lot of lifting volume, almost as much as a dedicated weightlifting team would do.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #8
Blaise Davis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
5-3-1 and GSLP are probably the best complete templates for strength that are amenable to decent amounts of conditioning. There are other good strength programs (Texas Method, Madcow, Smolov, et al) but they are either not compatable with a lot of extracurricular stuff, or are very open to your own interpretation and don't deal with set numbers/percentages.

Most weightlifting-centric programs are comprehensive, that is they should be your whole program because you're going to need the rest. Catalyst and Burgener have some good ones. Of course Outlaw Way is comprehensive, and they now have an Outlaw Barbell program, though that one is a lot of lifting volume, almost as much as a dedicated weightlifting team would do.
thanks broseph you the bomb