CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 07-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:
Power Clean

I feel like I'm not shrugging much. I try to though. this is 70lbs under my PR so maybe it's too light for me to really have to engage. I dunno. FYI.. that's as flat as my back will go and as high as my elbows can get at this point. It used to be worse..lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yag3egHh68w
Old 07-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: Power Clean

Im sorry if thats as flat as your back will go because that is a lot of your problem. You arent getting anywhere as good of a starting position as you need.

Also, you are not getting the bar up high enough with your second pull before you start the third. Thats making the bar hit off your thighs and come out from you body.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

More work from the hip and hang. Your feet seem to be retreating.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:

Thanks guys. That stuff is so obvious when someone else points it out. I don't usually bounce off my thighs as much when it gets heavier but I want a clean rep at any weight.

My back is my nemesis. I have terrible flexibility. I used to fail the Presedential Fitness Tests in school because of it. My hands wouldn't make it even to my heels on the sit and reach and I was 10 inches off the floor when trying to touch my toes. 14 years behind a desk has been a constant battle to get anything resembling flexible. I can at least touch my toes now..lol
Old 07-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
Keith Miller

Profile:

I would focus on getting that back tighter and flatter. IMHO, if you can stand with a flat back (you can, I saw you walk up to the bar), then you should be able to flatten your back at the start position. You're just not tightening your back up properly.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #6
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Miller View Post
I would focus on getting that back tighter and flatter. IMHO, if you can stand with a flat back (you can, I saw you walk up to the bar), then you should be able to flatten your back at the start position. You're just not tightening your back up properly.
Interesting theory..lol I can't disagree with it either although I do have some forward slope at the top from working at a desk. I stretch and mobilize quite a bit trying to correct it but 8 hours a day with bad posture (even standing, which I do a lot, has my shoulders forward to get to the keyboard.

I've got Kelly Starrett's book and his main focus of the whole thing is to do everything in life with a neutral spine and stable trunk, which he outlines in detail. I'll read it over and over and see if I can apply it to my pull.

I appreciate everyone's critique thus far. It actually gives me some encouragement too because I feel like I've got a few more pounds in me if I clean up my form.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
Nik Nichols

Profile:

A few things,

1. you were doing muscle cleans, power cleans are with a squat in the catch. A full squat clean is hip crease below the knee. So ANYTHING above that is a power clean

A muscle clean is catching the bar at a full standing position.

2. try to set up to the bar with your back straight. Stand up with feet in good position to start the pull. tighten up your back at a full standing position and THEN squat down to the bar with your back ALREADY tight and straight.

If you can not do this, pot the bar on blocks till you can and work the crap out of that.

Bending over and trying to pull your back into place is alot harder, and with your mobility porbles REALLY hard.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #8
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Nichols View Post
A few things,

1. you were doing muscle cleans, power cleans are with a squat in the catch. A full squat clean is hip crease below the knee. So ANYTHING above that is a power clean

A muscle clean is catching the bar at a full standing position.

2. try to set up to the bar with your back straight. Stand up with feet in good position to start the pull. tighten up your back at a full standing position and THEN squat down to the bar with your back ALREADY tight and straight.

If you can not do this, pot the bar on blocks till you can and work the crap out of that.

Bending over and trying to pull your back into place is alot harder, and with your mobility porbles REALLY hard.
Thank you. I generally drop under more as it gets heavier. I'll try the core tightening thing. That pretty well goes along with Kelly Starrett's thing too.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #9
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Rushbrook View Post
Thank you. I generally drop under more as it gets heavier. I'll try the core tightening thing. That pretty well goes along with Kelly Starrett's thing too.
Yea, K star and alot of others are behind that set up. Trying to get your hips right after having a humped back is a mess. It feels so much better setting up standing and then squatting to the bar tight.

I have to hold my breath and stay tight then drop down get my grip(tight still) then breath a time or to and go. I bet you will feel an instant change if you can get it.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:35 AM   #10
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Nichols View Post
Yea, K star and alot of others are behind that set up. Trying to get your hips right after having a humped back is a mess. It feels so much better setting up standing and then squatting to the bar tight.

I have to hold my breath and stay tight then drop down get my grip(tight still) then breath a time or to and go. I bet you will feel an instant change if you can get it.
I haven't tried the PC yet but I did this today on squats and it felt great. And for once I didn't get tightness on my lower left back. I also used it on bench and was much more stable. Now I'm just practicing it while standing at my desk..lol