CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-30-2006, 06:24 PM   #1
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
I remember hearing that there was and some time ago I think I read a few articles on why. Unfortunately, I can't remember where and didn't save it. Google didn't offer anything more than conjecture and the forum search function didn't bring anything to the table.

From what I remember, it was a danger because of the shoulder and impinges it or something? I read an argument that no pullups are generally done behind the neck as a functional movement.

I can remember doing these years ago besides lat pullups behind the neck which are probably even worse for ya.

Can some people bang this one out for me?
Old 11-30-2006, 06:54 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Only if you're shoulders aren't built for them. A couple of people I know swear by these, but I don't like them in particular.

Putting the shoulders that far back and pulling does seem to put a significant amount of strain on my either subscapularis or supraspinatus (can't really tell which) so if I do something like this I *NEED* to do rotator cuff exercises after. Fortunately, I don't have the shoulder structure where I would get an impingement from it.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:21 PM   #3
Kevin Burns

Profile:
My orthopedic surgeon recommended never to do lat pulldowns or anything behind the neck as it puts tremendous stress on the shoulders.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:07 AM   #4
Thomas Grippo

Profile:
I agree with Steven. You are externally rotateing the shoulder joint which may lead to impingement.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:49 AM   #5
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Blair,
Steven is on to something there with mentioning his rotator cuffs, only I would suggest that his couple of people are young and haven't noticed the decay of their rotator cuffs YET...

They will put a huge amount of shearing force into the shoulder due, to the relative lever arm positions during the movement. What I'm trying to say is that the position of the hands-elbow-shoulder that you must assume in order to perform the movement places you directly in the zone in which you will impinge your shoulder.

Sorry if I don't have a better explanation I might come back to it in a few days, I'm in quite a bit of pain right now after the car accident on Monday and its getting worse.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:00 AM   #6
Andrew Nashel

Profile:
Even if there is only a teeny tiny chance that BTN pullups might cause a problem, there is no need to do them because pullups to the front are at least as good in every way.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:35 AM   #7
Josh E Lundgaard

Profile:
The Supraspinatus tendon (rotator cuff muscle) and sub acromial bursa can get pinched under the acromion process of the scapula (the bony knob on your shoulder) by the abducting and rotating Humeral head...this is impingement. By further externally rotating the humerus in order to bring a bar behind your neck, you run the risk of also trying to force the long head of the bicep into an already full space, and also pressing the body of the head (which is larger than the greater tubercle)against soft tissue, making impingement much more likely. Add muscle fatigue to that and the risk increases even more. Increases in shoulder flexibility, such as those gained from (and necessary for) OH squats or a nice, low back squat rack can decrease the risk somewhat, but the motion and fatigue of pull-ups or pull-downs still leave you open to injury. There is also some risk of Brachial Plexus entrapment due to some of the same issues.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:23 PM   #8
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Josh,

dude, your description is very welcome and surprisingly I understood it! Where have you been?
Old 12-04-2006, 07:11 PM   #9
John Seiler

Profile:
Josh,
Fantastic post!

Here's another take: If you were being chased and needed to pull yourself over a wall or into a tree, would you pull behind the head? If you needed to put a heavy box on a high shelf, would you turn around or put the box behind your head in any way? In other words, any movement you can't figure out a real-life scenario for, don't do in a gym.