CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 07-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
Jan Arild Austnes

Profile:
Snatch practice

Fairly new to the movement. Would really appriciate any kind of feedback on my form.

Link :

http://youtu.be/dVF2SzAsHk8
Old 07-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: Snatch practice

"This video is private"
Old 07-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
Jan Arild Austnes

Profile:

Ops. My bad. The link should be fixed now.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
Jeff Enge

Profile:

OK, a few things.

1. You first pull has your butt coming up too fast. What that is doing is leaving the bar hanging out in front of your body. Also it is making your back round, which is generally not a great thing for any lift. You should maintain a constant back angle until the bar gets past your knees. Try slowing down that first pull a bit, be more methodical.

2. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like you are getting no contact with your hips. You don't want to slam the bar into them but you do want to make contact to ensure you are getting full extension. The other consequence to that is you are pulling the bar with your arms, which you don't want to do either. You arms are guides for the bar, not main drivers in getting the bar overhead.

3. If you are serious about learning these Olympic lifts, I'd recommend getting lifting shoes or at least something more geared to lifting than relatively unstable running shoes.

Good on you for learning the full lifts and not just power versions like a lot of CrossFitters, and you have a lot of the basics down. Just remember that consistency in hitting the positions is more important at first than speed, slow try to be more methodical and the muscle memory for speed will come. And with that will come the heavy weight.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:45 AM   #5
Jan Arild Austnes

Profile:

Really appriciate the feedback. !!

But my feet were in ok position at the bottom of the squat ?

Regarding the shoes , dont usually train with those, had been doing some rope climbs before.

But its recommended to use lifting shoes , compared to some inov-8 for instance, for a beginner ?
Old 07-18-2013, 05:56 AM   #6
Jeff Enge

Profile:

I thought your squat position was pretty decent. That's something that is variable based on how your body works, you're going to want to have your feet at whatever position is most comfortable and allows you to get your torso the most vertical, as well as keeping your knees out.

And, the shoes really depend upon your ankle flexibility, again with an eye toward a vertical torso in the catch position. If you can do a good full range of motion pistol and you can do a bodyweight squat with a vertical torso, you can probably get away with Inov8s or the like. However, I can do both of those things and I still greatly prefer doing anything with a squat in my lifting shoes.