CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
Justin McCance

Profile:
Red face Starting strength (half Marathon?)

Hey all, this is my first post and I had a few questions. First a bit about me I'm 5'9" 160, 21 years old 1rm DL 225, squat 160, Dumbbell bench press 70 lbs, seated military press 110 lbs, and have been following a traditional bodybuilding split routine consistently for about a month and a half. I also have been eating essentially Paleo for about two and a half weeks (big victory here, now I love to eat clean and shy away from the party scene)!

In any case I've been really intrigued by Crossfit the more and more I've been reading. But I really need to build up my strength. From everything I've read Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength seems like a great program to do this, and the perfect program for me, at least for now. Only problem is I would like to run a half marathon in October. Would this inhibit Starting Strength, or could I prepare for both?
Old 08-10-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
Laura T. Lee

Profile:
Re: Starting strength (half Marathon?)

the experts will pipe in for sure--but just to let you know I just started crossfit last week with no weight training experience at all and I am runner. I am running 2 ultra relays this fall, I ran a half this past weekend and I will probably run 6 or 7 more before Christmas. My half marathon pace is 1:40.

I am an old lady compared to you-you are very strong and I am sure you can do fine. Really, 13 miles is not that far

Laura Lee
Old 08-10-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
Justin McCance

Profile:

13 miles is pretty far to me! I don't have a very strong running background, I swam in high school, and in college I've just been doing my own thing.

That is an impressive amount of running!

Assuming that it wouldn't inhibit Starting Strength too much would you have any recommendations on how to ramp up a running program? the half marathon would be right before halloween, currently I'd say I could jog 3-4 miles easy with minimum soreness, and pace wise I run a 7:30 mile. Really hoping to get better at that as well!
Old 08-10-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Yes, running a 1/2 marathon will reduce your SS gains. maybe significantly.

Yes, you can still do both. I am older than you, smaller than you, stronger than you, and ran a 1/2 while gaining strength on a program similar to SS.

That said, don't go too nuts training for the 1/2... if you can run a 5k without too much trouble, then a 1/2 is really no big deal. If you do 1 longish (4+ miles) and 1 shorter (2-3 miles or some 400's, 800's, or mile repeats) per week, and make sure you get 2-3 runs in the 8-10 mile range, you'll be more than fine. I ran my first 1/2 in 1:52 with about 30 total training miles and having never run over 9 miles at a time.

Also, be careful with paleo... THAT could easily hurt your results, both running and strength related, more than combining a 1/2 with SS. Paleo makes it difficult both to get enough calories to support SS and to get enough carbs to support distance running. I'm not going to say it's impossible, but it's going to be a lot harder.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:13 PM   #5
Andrew Bell

Profile:

While I don't claim to be an expert, I once trained for a half while doing oly lifting and cf. The closer I got to the race (minus the tapering at the very end) the more I was only lifting with weights more geared for technique, and the cf wods because much more running/rowing based.

Eventually I went from lifting and a wod 3-4 days a week while running 1-2 days a week, and switched that the closer I got to the half I did. So I was running 3 days a week and lifting 2 days a week.

One of the biggest things I did that helped was cut out 90% of my total carb intake about a month out and then 2-4 days before hand, LOAD UP on the pasta, etc. I had more dang engery after carb loading than I knew what to do with.

I would suggest that if you like Starting Strength then take a look at the GSLP thread in the Fitness category and think about giving it a try. I would reduce some of the other things in the program and replace them with some LSD runs. This late in the game you should be focusing on running quite a bit already though.

I would try the GSLP/SS thing AFTER the half. If you want to train for strength, then train for strength. If you want to train for a marathon, then train for a marathon. If you try to train for both, you will not make the gains you will make focusing on one.

(some one mark this post, i'm actually NOT recommending to strength train right now. - lol)
Old 08-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #6
Laura T. Lee

Profile:

I think Jared your training advice sounds good if the goal is to just run that race. And that seems to be his goal.

I think building a base run that you can do at least 2 days a week (if you are doing crossfit more if not) and then 1 long day is good.

My base is 7.5-I run that 3 days a week plus my long day. I don't time--my garmin is on bedrest. I just run-I can feel the "machine" kick in on good days. I run my own kind of intervals just 1 day a week-take my 7.5 loop and every other mile just run the crap out of it. Plus, I always choose the hilliest course I can train on-which makes for a slower run but strong legs that are ready for any race.

I disagree with the diet though. I have eaten paleo for months and just went whole 30 and I have never run better. I upped my fat consumption and eat bigger sweet potatoes now I don't think paleo is necessarily low carb. If you are in training you know when to eat sweet potatoes and more fruit and when to back off. Just my opinion-I am sure there are others.

Again, I am not body building and I am very unscientific in my way of running and eating. I have a ton of kids and no time so I just have to get it done.

I started crossfit just 2 days a week until my relays are done and then I will change my focus in dec. I do it to be a better runner. Perhaps in Dec I will run to be a better crossfitt-er.

LL
Old 08-10-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
Justin McCance

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
Yes, running a 1/2 marathon will reduce your SS gains. maybe significantly.

Yes, you can still do both. I am older than you, smaller than you, stronger than you, and ran a 1/2 while gaining strength on a program similar to SS.

That said, don't go too nuts training for the 1/2... if you can run a 5k without too much trouble, then a 1/2 is really no big deal. If you do 1 longish (4+ miles) and 1 shorter (2-3 miles or some 400's, 800's, or mile repeats) per week, and make sure you get 2-3 runs in the 8-10 mile range, you'll be more than fine. I ran my first 1/2 in 1:52 with about 30 total training miles and having never run over 9 miles at a time.

Also, be careful with paleo... THAT could easily hurt your results, both running and strength related, more than combining a 1/2 with SS. Paleo makes it difficult both to get enough calories to support SS and to get enough carbs to support distance running. I'm not going to say it's impossible, but it's going to be a lot harder.
Ok that makes sense, and by Paleo I should have said Paleo-ish, I just haven't wanted or craved grain for a while, I was still going to try the whole gallon of milk a day thing, though I must admit I can't stomach the taste of plain milk so I'd need chocolate. I feel like I could fit in what you laid out for running. I could run long distance Sat. and short Wed after lifting so I wasn't tired from running and it wouldn't detract too much energy wise for lifting heavy.

From what I'm understanding essentially the key will be to rest and eat everything in sight.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:25 PM   #8
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

Strength training and 1/2 marathon training mix very well in my opinion. You won't reach your full potential in either by mixing the two but if you dont plan on winning a powerlifting competion or winning the half marathon then it doesn't matter.

You can get stronger and increase your distance running ability simultaneously.

I am following a 70's big training program and have a half marathon in a week. Will I win? No. Just want to go do it for a bit of a challenge. I have run a couple halfs a couple marathons and a 50k. I'm slow but dont care as long as I can finish but still be pretty strong for my size I'm happy.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #9
Andrew Gray

Profile:

21, eating healthy, and 1.5 months of lifting under your belt = recovery should be super easy for you so you should have no problem with doing both and still making big gains, just make sure you are eating enough (You should be eating a lot).

You will get bigger and stronger a little faster if you don't do the run training, but based on where you are I doubt it will really be that significant of a difference.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:05 PM   #10
Justin McCance

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
While I don't claim to be an expert, I once trained for a half while doing oly lifting and cf. The closer I got to the race (minus the tapering at the very end) the more I was only lifting with weights more geared for technique, and the cf wods because much more running/rowing based.

Eventually I went from lifting and a wod 3-4 days a week while running 1-2 days a week, and switched that the closer I got to the half I did. So I was running 3 days a week and lifting 2 days a week.

One of the biggest things I did that helped was cut out 90% of my total carb intake about a month out and then 2-4 days before hand, LOAD UP on the pasta, etc. I had more dang engery after carb loading than I knew what to do with.

I would suggest that if you like Starting Strength then take a look at the GSLP thread in the Fitness category and think about giving it a try. I would reduce some of the other things in the program and replace them with some LSD runs. This late in the game you should be focusing on running quite a bit already though.

I would try the GSLP/SS thing AFTER the half. If you want to train for strength, then train for strength. If you want to train for a marathon, then train for a marathon. If you try to train for both, you will not make the gains you will make focusing on one.

(some one mark this post, i'm actually NOT recommending to strength train right now. - lol)
I took a look at that GSLP thread, looked really interesting, I'll have to look into it a little more but it looks like a good alternative to starting strength, and if I understood what I read correctly the conditioning days it allows for would fit in better with training for a half marathon. As far as the 1/2 marathon is concerned I'm doing it more for the challenge then the results. Overall my immediate goal is to be able to do the crossfit workouts as Rx'd. In order to do that I need to get stronger so I figured I should focus on a strength program now, and build myself up to the necessary strength level.

Also I eat a ton of clean good food, haha so I'm on the right track there!

For me priority wise strength would beat out running, at least for now.