CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
Andrew Gray

Profile:
How to get a lifetime vegitarian to be capable of eating/processing meat?

I have a friend who grew up as a vegetarian since birth and now, 30 years later, seems to be completely incapable of processing meat. She has tried various methods and even seen doctors to try and find a way to get her body to process meat but with no luck (I'm not sure what they had her try though). She gets extremely ill from eating anything with meat. I'm throwing this out there to the broad community to see if anyone out there has a magic bullet to fix this thing. Anyone know of any special techniques, drugs, anything that might be able to help her gain the ability to eat/process meat?

Thanks for any help,

Andrew
Old 06-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #2
Jared Ashley

Profile:
Re: How to get a lifetime vegitarian to be capable of eating/processing meat?

First off, I'm assuming she WANTS to eat meat again?

If she does, personally I don't think drugs, supplements, ect are the answer, as they only mask the problem... the only logical thing would be to start with the most natural meats possible (grass fed, local, blah blah) and to start with the least offensive meats (for most this is fish, then poultry, then pork, then red meat), and start with small quantities. maybe as small as one bite. maybe smaller. Build up over time.

It is also possible that she will simply never be able to eat meat again. If that's the case, using some "magic bullet" would be like using lactaid to help digest milk... doesn't really make sense, can't logically be good for you.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
Michael Dries

Profile:

Ill how? A lot of it could be psychosomatic.

Robb Wolf recommends Now Foods Super Enzymes for folks withe digestion problems and for vegetarians new to meat. Some people have just down regulated the required chemical bath in their stomachs and guts to handle the stuff. The supplemented enzymes will help break down the meat while her body begins to ramp up production her own enzymes. It could take some time.

http://tinyurl.com/6hpbyfm WFS
Old 06-23-2011, 09:07 PM   #4
Andrew Gray

Profile:

She does want to be able to eat meat. She isn't craving it or anything though and I think she is a bit scared to try again so I'm hoping I can find a something with a decent outlook or she probably won't go for it. Perhaps rightly so, as she has actually been hospitalized before from taking a small taste of meat. I'm not sure on the exact details of the mechanisms that made her get so sick, I will have to check with her on that, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't psychosomatic. I will do a little more research and check out those Enzymes.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:19 AM   #5
Sheldon Kreger

Profile:

I've been trying to eat meat again. I'm having the same issue. I'e also developed lactose intolerance. Nothing seems to be working for me. I can eat fish without problems, though.

-sheldon
Old 06-24-2011, 08:49 AM   #6
Chris Mason

Profile:

You didn't answer the question. What exactly happened when she tried the meat? What kind of meat was it?
Old 06-24-2011, 09:19 AM   #7
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Force feed her meatloaf.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:10 AM   #8
Mike Watson

Profile:

Start her with broth and stock!
Old 06-25-2011, 03:45 PM   #9
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gray View Post
she has actually been hospitalized before from taking a small taste of meat.
Chris asked the important question.

If she was really unlucky, it could have been food poisoning from undercooked chicken or whatever.

If it was seafood, it could be as simple as a shellfish or iodine allergy, that could easily land somebody in the hospital. On a similar note, other food allergies could be the cause (peanut allergy at an asian restaurant comes to mind).

If it was meat known to be cooked throughly and allergies and the like are ruled out, IMO it's not worth it. I would NEVER trust enzymes or drugs to help me digest something that landed me in the hospital. F that.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:03 PM   #10
Andrew Gray

Profile:

I'm still trying to find out the details of that indecent, once I get some more info I will post it, might take a few days (don't see her all that often).

Definitely agree that if there seems to be a legitimate risk to a serious sickness, to the point of hospitalization, then it's probably not worth it. Either way, this case has just really piqued my interest and now I want to learn all about it to see what's going on and such. Really I just want to get as much information as I can to give her so she can make an informed decision on what she wants to do. It really suck though, I can't imagine life without meat. It's certainly not doing any favors for her general health either.