CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 06-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
Luke Hitt

Profile:
Online Coverage of the Games

This article was posted on the games site today, describing the coverage and viewing options for the games.

WFS

http://games.crossfit.com/features/going-games

Does anybody know if the "premiere stream" will be something that can be downloaded at the end of the day (like the open and regional update videos of the last few months) as opposed to just being viewed live? This is the description from the site:

"For fans around the world, there will be three video streams you can follow. The premiere stream will be a three-hour broadcast quality show coming to you live toward the end of each day. It will be a cohesive story of each day of the Games with the top heats of the day shown live. It will include competition action, summaries, highlights, analysis, and athlete profiles."

I ask this because last year I was unable to watch any of the coverage because the stream kept freezing and buffering, and it was so frustrating that I gave up. I would rather wait until the end of the day, download some video of the events, and then watch it as opposed to sitting there hoping the feed won't freeze...
Old 06-22-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
Steven Ngo

Profile:
Re: Online Coverage of the Games

i imagine it would be something like last year where they put up they added the day's stream to the archive broken down by heats. except for the first couple of hours that went missing, i think it worked out pretty well.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
Mark Martinez

Profile:

This is a bit out of topic. I just read it and I'm not crazy about the uniform thing.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #4
Stu Christensen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Martinez View Post
This is a bit out of topic. I just read it and I'm not crazy about the uniform thing.
It's big business....I'm sure Reebok put the apparel/uniform thing in the contract. In every other "sport", athletes get paid for wearing apparel...think hockey/baseball/basketball/football. And if they don't, they're free to wear whatever brand they want. CF got bent over on this one IMO...too bad it was probably willingly.

I think the rest of the event, the sweet cameras, the leaderboards, the up-to-date scoring are all awesome and fantastic for the sport, kudos on that. But the "uniform" thing is brutal.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Christensen View Post
In every other "sport", athletes get paid for wearing apparel...think hockey/baseball/basketball/football.
We seem to be forgetting that there ARE sponsored cf athletes and teams, I'm very curious to see how that will be addressed... but I assume HQ will just expect them and their sponsors to cave on it this year, then come up with an actual solution to accommodate athletes wearing sponsor gear next year.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:32 AM   #6
Stu Christensen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
We seem to be forgetting that there ARE sponsored cf athletes and teams, I'm very curious to see how that will be addressed... but I assume HQ will just expect them and their sponsors to cave on it this year, then come up with an actual solution to accommodate athletes wearing sponsor gear next year.
Right. I know. That's what I'm saying... this is ridiculous....as it appears that they will ALL now be wearing Reebok and not their sponsors gear!! Same with unsponsored athletes who want to be wearing thier affiliate's shirt or gear....ugh.

First impression is that dollar signs took over and HQ bowed to corporate business.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:37 AM   #7
Brian Michaelson

Profile:

Quote:
I'd be willing to bet that those athletes who are sponsored will be sporting gear from their respected companies that will promote them. Shorts, socks, shoes, etc. Either that or Reebok would add their companies logos to the "uniforms" the athletes will be wearing.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:37 AM   #8
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
It is not as simple as some people are trying to make this out to be.

By "cave on it" do you mean HQ expects the athletes to breach their existing contracts? Who will be financially responsible for that? Is HQ gonna pick up the tab? Reebok? Most contracts have attorney fees provisions in them, too. If someone (an existing sponsor) brought a breach of contract case to court and prevailed, the losing party would likely also be responsible for the winner's attorney's fees. That is a VERY EXPENSIVE proposition to be so cavalier about...

There is also a potential a cause of action that could be brought by one of the existing sponsors for intentional interference with contracts.

just saying...
Old 06-22-2011, 10:49 AM   #9
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

I sure would hate to have the dilema of multiple sponsors (individually and at the corporate level) vying for space on my shirt. Terrible.

(I say this in some jest, I know this is how some folks make their living and I'm not belittling that at all. Just letting jealousy get in the way.)
Old 06-22-2011, 10:51 AM   #10
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Oh I totally agree there are quite a lot of potential (or inevitable) legal ramifications, however given HQ's current attitude I wholly expect the response to be little more than "Tough Luck" to sponsored athletes.

Even if a sponsor were to take up a legal suit against Reebok/HQ, in the case of even the arguably most successful/biggest sponsors, such as in a case of Reebok v. AF/Rogue, the result will almost ceretainly be AF/Rogue ends up in a drawn out legal battle that likely bankrupts them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Michaelson View Post
I'd be willing to bet that those athletes who are sponsored will be sporting gear from their respected companies that will promote them. Shorts, socks, shoes, etc. Either that or Reebok would add their companies logos to the "uniforms" the athletes will be wearing.
You've apparently missed out on the memo that athletes are allowed any type of shoes, but are not permitted to wear clothing or accessories of Reebok competitors. See Below:
Quote:
"Athletes must wear their (Reebok) uniforms as they take the field for their heat. You may, however, remove your shirt for or during the workout, but you can't wear a different shirt during the workout. You can wear whatever accessories you like as long as they are not visibly branded with logos or marks of Reebok's competitors. You can wear any footwear without restriction"
So it really depends on whether by "competitor" they mean Nike, or all sports gear.