CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-05-2009, 09:49 AM   #1
Stuart Hughes

Profile:
Theoretical Hierarchy of Development

Hey all,
I'm curious that not much is really said regarding the hierarchy past it being mentioned in the Journal back in 2002. Is it just inherently being followed anyway and thus a moot point?

Best,
Stuart
Old 04-05-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:
Re: Theoretical Hierarchy of Development

what's this hierarchy you speak of?
Old 04-06-2009, 02:36 AM   #3
Stuart Hughes

Profile:

Page 8 of What is Fitness:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pyramid.jpg
Views:	4080
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	3819  
Old 04-06-2009, 03:07 AM   #4
William Myrick

Profile:

I've seen a few videos talking about this in the journal. The one off hand I can remember has Nicole Carroll speaking on Hyperinsulinemia.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:19 AM   #5
Shane Skowron

Profile:

I've seen it mentioned in a few videos also, but I can't remember exactly where. Perhaps the War College lecture, have you seen that one?
Old 04-06-2009, 06:33 PM   #6
Stuart Hughes

Profile:

Hey Shane, Coach Glassman may have mentioned it in the speech. Still, what I've yet to determine is how this pans out in the programming. There isn't different tracks of WODs depending on what level of the hierarchy you are meant to be at, it's all going on simultaneously - as such I'm curious of how Coach Glassman and others have factored it into programming since 2002. Perhaps some affiliate owners and coaches could give some insight into this?

Regards,
Stu
Old 04-06-2009, 10:24 PM   #7
William Myrick

Profile:

Stuart, I think I understand what you are saying.

You are wondering how someone at the bottom of the "pyramid" fits into the programming the same as some one at the top. Correct me if I am wrong.

The concept that I remember being addressed is "... the whole idea builds on the level below it and that the foundation of it is NUTRITION. If your nutrition sucks the other parts won't be where they could be if it were more solid."
*Taken from Journal >> Nutrition: The Teeter-Totter. WFS

So, from this I derive that I can do the WODs day in and day out but until I lock down my nutrition I won't have the best times or lifts I could have. Once my nutrition is rock solid my times and lifts improve allowing me to begin improving my MetCon, and so on.

Well the difference in "programming" is inherent to the process. I doubt anyone could do a Full Murph as RX'd their first day without serious consequences (e.g. Rhabdo). So when you begin CrossFit you scale the workouts to your current level of fitness/intensity.

The scaling of the WODs is providing the individual programming for each person on their ascent of the heirarchy. GardDawg at BrandX scales all of the WODs on his site. Start here >> BrandX Scaled Workouts.

Last edited by William Myrick; 04-06-2009 at 10:25 PM.. Reason: Forgot something
Old 04-06-2009, 10:29 PM   #8
Damon Stewart

Profile:

We use it in our programming and it's absolutely obvious in Main Site's programming as well. It's prominently mentioned in "Foundations" although minus the diagram.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:56 AM   #9
Stuart Hughes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Myrick View Post
So, from this I derive that I can do the WODs day in and day out but until I lock down my nutrition I won't have the best times or lifts I could have. Once my nutrition is rock solid my times and lifts improve allowing me to begin improving my MetCon, and so on.
But then I wonder how someone might know how much bias their training should have on a particular level of the pyramid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Myrick View Post
The scaling of the WODs is providing the individual programming for each person on their ascent of the heirarchy. GardDawg at BrandX scales all of the WODs on his site. Start here >> BrandX Scaled Workouts.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but BrandX doesn't shift the WOD towards lower ends of the pyramid as it's scaled down.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:47 AM   #10
William Myrick

Profile:

Ok, first off have you subscribed to the Journal? If not, please do it is full of valuable information and videos that have helped me understand the program. I tend to take notes while reading or watching the videos.

You can't use a bias approach to the pyramid. You have to look at it as relative intensity.

Quote:
"Many people wonder why CrossFit workouts are timed. There are several reasons for this, the most important being intensity. Remember that average power is work divided by time. The same work done in less time is more power and more intensity. Your first workouts should be done at a relatively low intensity. This is essential for you to both learn the proper mechanics of the movements and to let your body acclimate to the workload. Every time you repeat a workout, you can compare your performance and see if you are increasing your power (therefore intensity). For example, if you do exactly the same number of reps at the same loads (Fran, Cindy, Helen, ...) in less time, your intensity went up. If you increased the loads and kept the same time (or finished even quicker), your intensity went up. These direct comparisons give you a quantifiable gauge to the increase of your fitness. You are measuring the changes in your capacity and scientifically proving that you are getting fitter and more capable."

Excerpt from A CrossFit Startup Guide #1 by Todd Widman (WFS)
As far as BrandX scaling, I admit I was a Buttercup for a week or so. Once I began to increase in capability I moved to the next level. I am still not an as Rx'd CFer but I am on my way.

I still push myself every WOD and try my hardest to complete the movements correctly. I still have problems recruiting my muscles to do the Dip-Drive movement correctly. So on the WODs with advanced movements I work on my foundational movements. I am currently focusing on keeping my posterior chain recruited for my full RoM during my squats.

Basically, there is not a one size fits all solution. You have to understand the capabilities and limitations of you body and work within that criteria.

Last edited by William Myrick; 04-07-2009 at 03:50 AM..