CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-20-2009, 12:43 PM   #1
Martin Brown

Profile:
Question about race preparation

I am participating in an Adventure Race in 15 days. It's a co-ed team and depending on what route we choose will probably end up being around a 10 mile trail run, 30 miles of mountain biking and 10 miles of paddling. I'm not a runner and am a recent weekend mountain biker (10-20 mile trail rides about 1x per week) but I have been a Crossfitter for about 18 months. I'm a 39 year old male and have just over a 5:00 Fran time and a 48:00 Murphy time.

My question is this.......I'm 15 days away from race day. I didn't find out until about 2 weeks ago that I was going to participate in this race so there was really not much time for specific race training. How should I spend my next 15 days training? Should I just continue with the WOD's or should I add more running. I'm hesitant to add more running because I've got an arthritic knee that doesn't really like running to begin with. Most importantly at this juncture, when should I start to scale back in prepartation for the race? My thoughts were to continue working out hard for the next 5-7 days, then cut to half intensity for 5-7 days and then completely rest for 2 days prior to the race?

I appreciate any opinions.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
Andrew Gray

Profile:
Re: Question about race preparation

Realistically you aren't going to get any significant conditioning improvement this close to the race. That doesn't mean you can't help yourself out though with some practice. All of these things have a skill component to them and that is something you can improve or at least get your body a little more used to. For the running I would try to get one comfortably long run in as soon as possible and maybe two or three shorter harder runs after that leading up to the race. For the bike I would just try to get as much time in the saddle over the next week as you can just to get your butt used to sitting on a seat for that long plus fine tune your riding skills a bit. You may not have access to do any paddling but if so it would definitely be a good idea to get some practice in. I did a race pretty similar to what you mentioned a long while back (with no experience in paddling) and my lack of knowing what I was doing really slowed me down, plus I got some nasty blisters on the inside of my thumbs.

Whenever I have races coming up the week before I cut down on volume but keep intensity up for the first half of the week. 2-3 days out I do really short workouts at roughly 85% intensity. The day before I rest. Try to eat clean and healthy the whole time also, don't carbo load or eat a bunch of weird foods you're not used to right before the race.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:22 PM   #3
Thomas Bailly

Profile:

good advice above,you can fine tune your gear choices too ,make sure your shorts don't chafe,ride your bike long enough to make sure your saddle height is perfect,practice your running form if you can. You can still hammer up to 5 days or so before race (so long as you are not over trained) with complete rest previous 48hrs being good or very light one day (walk, short).
Resist the urge to stuff yourself days prior, just make sure you have enough easily digestible food with you on race day and don't wait until you are bonking to have some ( 100 to200 cals/hour or whatever works for you).
Good luck and don't forget vaseline or the like on nipples,between thighs,armpits.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:51 AM   #4
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Like everyone else said, do what you've been doing, ride the bike, fine tune your gear, but also really try to get some practice with your team on the paddling portion. If the team or anyone in the team hasn't had experience with it, it can get frustrating. Other than that don't sweat it too much, adventure races are a lot of fun and the competitors they draw are generally super nice . Enjoy yourself and good luck